Sign in to follow this  
WhiteFiver

Advice needed

A little bit of background first.

For the last couple years, I've had a bit of a gut. Not much because I was always working outdoors, but a bit. Last year I took a job working in an office with it's own cafeteria, that I would eat at a lot. Combine that with going through a McDonald's phase, a lot of pepsi and a lot of alcohol, I've gained a fair bit of weight. I'm 5'11", and I weigh somewhere around 220.

I've never really been to the gym before, never really worked out. I used to ride my bike a lot and that kept me in shape, but then I got my license and a truck.

My sister is getting married in the middle of January, and I'd like to be as healthy/light as possible before then. I have no qualms about getting a gym membership and working out there quite often; in fact, I've been meaning to for quite a while now, but money hasn't allowed it.

What are some good ways to accomplish this? I've done some reading around in here, and Chevy350TPI has a lot of good information. Maybe you could drop in and give some pointers?

My advice is find something you like to do, and do it. If you like to ride a bike, do that. If you like to run on a treadmill, do that. There are many ways to do cardio workouts (which along with a much better diet will help you the most), but don't force yourself to do something you don't like because it will sap your motivation quickly. and stick to a schedule for going to the gym. You have to be disciplined enough to overcome those days when you don't feel like going.

IMO, you just need to get your heart rate up and keep it up. Lifting weights is ok, but don't make that the focal point of your workout.

But fixing your diet is basically as much of the deal as getting to the gym. Mcdonalds, pepsi, and alcohol are all bad when trying to lose weight if not consumed rarely. Cut down your portions as well on everyday things you eat. If you eat two sandwiches for lunch (like I do), try cutting it down to one sandwich and a granola bar. Only take one helping at supper. etc. etc., you know.

If you need to go to the store to just get a few things, ride your bike. Sometimes if I just need fruit or sandwich supplies for lunch or something, I'll strap on a backpack and ride the 5-mile roundtrip to the grocery store. I make the distance longer by cutting through the nice neighborhoods instead of staying on the 4 lane big road because that makes it more enjoyable and safer to boot. This may be tough for you in Canada now that winter is upon us, but maybe there will be nice enough days sometimes.

I'm in the process of taking weight gainer to get more weight and get big..

When I first started the guy who told me what to do told me the number one thing you HAVE to do is stick with it.

You wont see results quickly just becasue its the human body. And If you look in the mirror everyday to see if your getting more slim that really wont work either just becasue your so used to seeing your self each day. After a month and half of lifting hard and eating and taking htat weight gain people were telling me that I was getting more beefy and solid. You have to stick with it.

If you like riding a bike, Then ride a bike..Dont stress over it, Its gonan take time but if you do it day after day you will see changes. You shud stop drinking pop and all the junk food. There are many little ways to work your body really good and burn calories. If you get bored with the bike. Then find new ways that make you tired and do them exercises.

Hope this works out..

Last summer I decided that I wanted to cut all the fat off of my body. I cut out ALL sweets from my diet and did 30 minutes of cardio a day. I also lifted 5 days a week. I cut SO much fat off of my body. Cardio and diet is THE KEY.

EDIT: I'm 5'9" 165.

Edited by abxx

if your into taking things buy some blackpowder it amkes you wanna lift and run its awseom i know form expireance it makes you extremely hypped

Last summer I decided that I wanted to cut all the fat off of my body. I cut out ALL sweets from my diet and did 30 minutes of cardio a day. I also lifted 5 days a week. I cut SO much fat off of my body. Cardio and diet is THE KEY.

What kind of cardio did you do?

It's called Yola... LoL J/K :) you could always get some Phentermine Hydrochloricide... Or Fasten...

5"11 and 205-210 lbs. Diet and exercise. Have some fruit or something for breakfast, whole wheat bread for lunch, nice nutritious meal for dinner.

Another thing ive heard some people do is not eat after 8, try that.

5"11 and 205-210 lbs. Diet and exercise. Have some fruit or something for breakfast, whole wheat bread for lunch, nice nutritious meal for dinner.

Another thing ive heard some people do is not eat after 8, try that.

Basically eat less exercise more... That is Guaranteed to work... I have heard that it depends on when you usually go to sleep. If you don't eat after a certain time but stay up late, your body will hold onto the calories.

Edited by JoshM20

take any workout off the net or make up your own workout it doesn't really matter just make sure you lift to failure on your last set of each excersize (can barley finish the set or get say like 7 out or 8 reps on the last set). make sure you time your breaks between each set because doing a good set then taking a 10 minute break between your next one wont really challenge your muscles much (my breaks are timed to 1 minute each between each set and about 3 minutes between each excersize) it will also be good for your cardio. try to keep the same slow rythem for each muscles you work out and don't jerk your body to cheat. try to increase your weights by 5 every 2-3 months and watch yourself grow and you have to push your body to its limits. a gym is not like a job or school, you cant just punch in, do the time, then walk out and get results, you actually have to work your ass off. do this and i promise you your see some results (it's not rocket science, you just have to give it your all and improve yourself little by little).

i was playing at an elite level as a kid and when i was 16 they forced us to work out if we wanted to play sunday night. i was tired of being the skinny corner back at 5'11 and 140 pounds, within 3 months of the mindset mentioned above i jumped to 180 pounds with the same body fat percentage (working out 6 times a week 3-4 hours a day and eating like a madman of course!) now im weighing in at 235 pounds at around 10% body fat.

also keep in mind that working out is only 50& of the formula for gaining muscle. you also have to eat right (lots of protein) and sleep right or your muscles wont repair.

What kind of cardio did you do?

Usually the stair master on the highest level for 30 minutes. Some days I rode the stationary bike though.

Usually the stair master

What an evil machine~! designed by lucifer himself~

Haha, I loooooove it! :wub:

I had Influenza about 6 months ago and i lost around 30 pounds so now i weigh 135-140 and im 5'7" and im having trouble gaining weight back....been working out alot lately though.

I have noticed a little bit of results when working out on my bowflex. Lost 50 pounds on that last year, but gained most of it back, lol! Starting to workout on it again and lost 15 pounds thus far. I workout 5 days a week for 1 hour at a time and watch what I eat. Trying to stick to 1800-2300 calorie intake, but some days are hard. Doing good today though, but tired........only have about 350 calories in me for the day, lol! Won't eat till 1130 tonight either............at work and can't eat at work with a bad stomach......

Hope to hear your results.