juan

Difference in Subs?

Im goin to be buying some 10s soon and I was wanting to know what the difference in the 10 inch FI Q and the 10 inch ICONs are? Im looking for a sub that will sound clean and drop low while being loud aswell. I was goin for the AQ HDC3 10 subs at first but I am wanting to meet my expectations running only 2200 rms watts. Not to mention also sounding clean. I know the FI Q and the ICONs are known for their good sq but which one will get louder off 1k rms to each sub?

Edited by juan

Im goin to be buying some 10s soon and I was wanting to know what the difference in the 10 inch FI Q and the 10 inch ICONs are? Im looking for a sub that will sound clean and drop low while being loud aswell. I was goin for the AQ HDC3 10 subs at first but I am wanting to meet my expectations running only 2200 rms watts. Not to mention also sounding clean. I know the FI Q and the ICONs are known for their good sq but which one will get louder off 1k rms to each sub?

Under the EXACT same conditions, most likely the sensitivity of each sub will tell you which will get louder. I'm too lazy to pick up the links but look at the specs for both and the db number for the 1w/1m is its sensitivity.

Even if one's sub's sensitivity is higher than the other, you do now know at what frequency it peaked at to achieve that sensitivity...

For example-

If the Q had 86db and the ICON had 84db...

If the Q peaked at 45hz to achieve 86db but the ICON did it's 84db at 31hz whereas the Q may had only done 82db at 31hz, then the ICON would be louder for low end music.

I'm not takin sides on which sub is louder, just stating that sensitivity cannot be used to compare subs potential output that easily.

You can make either sound good or like chit. Buy them both!

Even if one's sub's sensitivity is higher than the other, you do now know at what frequency it peaked at to achieve that sensitivity...

For example-

If the Q had 86db and the ICON had 84db...

If the Q peaked at 45hz to achieve 86db but the ICON did it's 84db at 31hz whereas the Q may had only done 82db at 31hz, then the ICON would be louder for low end music.

I'm not takin sides on which sub is louder, just stating that sensitivity cannot be used to compare subs potential output that easily.

Nice elaboration :) I stand corrected.

The enclosure will play the biggest role at determining the output

Yep.

Yep.

No way man.........it's RMS power..... ; )

both are right.......wattage plays a role but Im sure alot of people will agree with me when i say the install accounts for 80% of what ur setup will sound like. U can have all the best equipment in the world and run a million watts but its nothing without a superb install.

edit: people kill me when they say "which plays lower, a 10" or 18?" Its whatever ur enclosure is tuned to that will determine how low u will play. U can get a 8 to play low if its tuned for it. A sub will only do what its surroundings will allow it to do.

Edited by SKEEMASK

Like everyone said, it's too hard to tell just of specs. You're either going to have to buy both and see which one you like more, or just go with what you want and pick one!

what do you plan on using for a box sealed or ported. if you choose sealed id go with the q10 it has more linear throw making it slightly better for the lowend output being clean. if you go with ported go with the icon slightly stronger motor in its ideal box should have slightly more output. both subs are great subs as far as quality and output so either choice is a good one.

both are right.......wattage plays a role but Im sure alot of people will agree with me when i say the install accounts for 80% of what ur setup will sound like. U can have all the best equipment in the world and run a million watts but its nothing without a superb install.

edit: people kill me when they say "which plays lower, a 10" or 18?" Its whatever ur enclosure is tuned to that will determine how low u will play. U can get a 8 to play low if its tuned for it. A sub will only do what its surroundings will allow it to do.

Mike S was being sarcastic...there's really no such thing as "RMS power" ;)

The Icon logo is cooler than the Fi and if I had to choose between the two, I'd get the Icon.

The Icon logo is cooler than the Fi and if I had to choose between the two, I'd get the Icon.

I think the Fi logo looks sexier when its moving 27mm lol

In the end, it is a win win either way. Pick one and go for it. Just make sure you build a solid enclosure and set your gains correctly. :)