Sign in to follow this  
jumpinbean23

Head unit/amp suggestions

Ok so I am looking into suggestions for

1. Good headunit for 2 way active set up

2. Amplifier for front stage to power (2)seasl22 8 ohm & (2) peerless hds tweeters 8 ohm

1a. Looking into alpine 9887 and eclipse cd7200, trying to stay away from pioneer after several problems in the past.

2a. Looking for any suggestions as I am new to running 8 ohm speakers

Thanks in advance

Chad

I personally went with Alpine myself, but I've not used it yet. Here is a side-by-side of the two units:

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/ProdCom...Items=099CD7200

My main reason was price. I got my 9887 for 285 US$. Based on the research I did when I was deciding, I doubt you'd be unhappy with either unit.

The Eclipse comes with more features standard

Expandability Alpine CDA-9887 Eclipse CD7200 mk II

AUX Input Optional Rear and Optional Rear

USB Input Optional Rear

Memory Card Slot No USB Memory

Bluetooth Compatible Optional Built-in

but you can get the extra components for the 9887 on ebay for wicked cheap. iPod cable is like 15 bucks max, for example. The eclipse also has more EQ bands (11 vs 7).

I've heard mixed reviews on Alpines Time alignment technology (imprint). I've heard consistently 4 things, 2 bad, 2 good

• Works great for beginners but audiophiles might want to do more tuning themselves
  • Can lack bass but this can be fixed with a proper amp or bass settings

A description of the eclipse time alignment technology. It involves uploading information to a website or program, and from what I have found, you just bass the adjustments off of measurements of distance. http://central.sounddomain.com/sd/features/ECL.htm but I can't tell if you have a mic or what

Edited by dlink

Either will be fine. I wouldn't expect the imprint to do anything useful, what you need in a 2way active headunit are crossovers in the range you want to cross, t/a, and some eq to take out the anomalies of your drivers in their install. Those two, the Pio 800prs (I know you don't want it) and the Clarion 9255 (which does 3way+) are pretty much your choices for new. Personally, I'd go play with them and buy the one that has the menu structure you like the best for what you are going to use it for.

Thanks for the input, I forgot all about clarion in my searching. I haven't ruled out pioneer altogether, just looking for good alternatives as well.

Either will be fine. I wouldn't expect the imprint to do anything useful, what you need in a 2way active headunit are crossovers in the range you want to cross, t/a, and some eq to take out the anomalies of your drivers in their install. Those two, the Pio 800prs (I know you don't want it) and the Clarion 9255 (which does 3way+) are pretty much your choices for new. Personally, I'd go play with them and buy the one that has the menu structure you like the best for what you are going to use it for.

Why can't he get a 9887 new? There are plenty of places online. Crutchfield has them in stock, and for 400$. That's nearly 25% less than the price of the 9255

Why can't he get a 9887 new? There are plenty of places online. Crutchfield has them in stock, and for 400$. That's nearly 25% less than the price of the 9255

?? re-read my post. "those two"...."are pretty much your choices for new"