mrogowski

Big Dave's Truck Project

Hey All. I send pics to Mark @ Mach5Audio and he posts. He's bin getting his Magnetizer running and preping SUBS for delivery! He should have them up asap. Gotta get this truk done and get the word out on the IXL Mach 5 Audio subs!!!! :)

I have 2x IXL- 18"s ported to 19 hz and 6 x MJ-18"s ported to 30 hz- for midbass in my Home Theater with 13,000 watts and an EPIcenter! Neibors bitching cuz stuff falls outta their kitchen cabinets! lol

I bang about 3 notes with the Epicenter - u'd swear SWAT was coming thru the furnace ducting! And then go upstairs and look around. Its like Aliens have visited! Haha- stuff in little groupings all over. Bottles and cleaners have migrated to the center of the counters. Toilet paper rolls bounced off the vanity and landed in the bowl! Its riduculous! lol luv it!

NEED 2 more MJ 18"s- to make an nice even 10! U WANT bass???? Go to MACH5AUDIO and check out the IXL subs! Also- the SPL-12's & 15's! :))

MJ-18 ?= best bang for the buck!

Ya- I wanted to leave the back sliding window available to see behind to back up and load my race trailer AND get some airflow as I tow to race events and its a daily driver- Soon as I get this done!

Took it for a spin today to charge the batteries. Not fussy for the tuning, so made some ports to hit 28 hz. Waaay to much control with the Audio Control DQX, 4.1i and the EPI-160.

Hit 146 db with Nickleback, UNtuned, and windows open. Then the smoke started! uhoh! HAHA. I havent quite finished the install yet- but need to determine if its all gonna shake down good, so needed to try a run. Didnt want to use the $25 dollar 150 amp wafer fuses as the fuse banks are connected but not fastened into their housings yet. So I used a few inches of 14 ga wire to jump the 2/0 fuse holders. Tuning in the parking lot cuz its too loud at the shack, was givin'er and didnt notice the insulation on the 14 ga had melted off and the exposed wire melted into the carpet chunks I had, to lean it on the back door panel and then it melted into the door panel like a cutting blade on a Weller soldering gun! lmao. OOps! Got home, cut up some new 14 ga and re-tuned! heehee.

Tell Mark to hurry :) He's got the box painting pics- mmmmmm Atomic Orange! heehee

RE-ported to 28 hz. YEAH BABY- now THATS shake - rattle & roll! woohoo!~ Got some REAL bass now :)))

It has been awhile since I have updated this thread - strictly my fault as Dave has been sending me updates and I have neglected to post them.

So we continue the trek down Dave's lane and his quest to get this work of art completed:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

The wiring of all this must have been a feat in and of itself. Here are some shots of how things came together in this area:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Pictures of the sub baffle. Notice the nice contouring in the last couple of pics:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

that battery is making my stomache turn just looking at it lol ... this install is insane none the less

that battery is making my stomache turn just looking at it lol ... this install is insane none the less

haha why's that?

Here's some shots of the stripped truck and the sub box going in:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

This is such an amazing build.

So clean, so nice.

Best of luck man.

keep it going, build just gets better and better with each picture

Nice build, it looks great and should sound that way as well!!!

JP

Just amazing man!!!! So sick

HEY ALL! Bin a while- time for an update!

Well- TRUK is FINISHED! Woohoo! 'Bout dam time! lol.

Mark- Owner of Mach5Audio was in attendance at its First Competition out here in the Canadian West.

The 12V store where I purchased my Audio Control gear, had sent their RTA back for Modifications & upgrades and would not have it back for a while :( So, I called the hi-end store I get my home audio from "General Audio" , in Calgary AB, and they had an RTA that they let me 'use', to tune the truk. Thanks to Rod & Brian! :)

I gotta say- the curve was impressive- for all the drivers in it & the poor placement! Had to tweek 63 & 80, bit at 400- 630- those nasty naisily midrange notes! haha, and bring down the 12K a bit and 20K by 12db! haha, figered that one!

But- all in all, a nice curve. Bass is about 36 db above everything, haha, to be expected, (always gonna have a Major deviation) and the tweets could use a 2 or 5 ohm resistor to supress the output a bit, but being off-axis, that was expected as well.

Its a 'SHOW' truk to show off the MACH5AUDIO subs. A nice stereo in my race hauler, that happens to be pretty LOUD! haha.

So, it was a DB meet, and DB Drag Race event.

Took FIRST place in DB in my class. Then went into the DB Drag-Race- that was FUN! Took FIRST PLACE there as well!

So, first outting, took 2x 1st Place wins! Good enuf for me! lol. AND- there was Corey & his lovely wife, who had made the trip from, Saskatoon I think?? He took 2 trophies as well. SO- 4 trophies for MACH5AUDIO at this one event- MORE than the million dollar sub companies could do!!! Corey pulls in the 150+ range and he went to the max with the MACH5AUDIO SPL-15"s. I have one of those now- THEY ARE MONSTERS! HUGE!

Also- he was running the new Sound Digital 8000 watt amps! NICE amps! ONE to each sub! (6x 18 volt batteries and a 2nd alternator that puts out 18 volts- just to charge the stereo batts!) Wish I could afford 'em! But- I didnt set out to build the Loudest truk, just a nice stereo, platform to showcase the Subs, and it Happens to be loud!

Certainly not a contender in those DB drag wars. Man- some people have serious power in their vehicles! All those 18 volt batteries! WOW

Maybe there will be a resurgence in the 'Stereo' Comps, or a partnering with the old I.A.S.C.A. to have events that judge 'Sound Quality' & 'Install'?

Haha- some of the guys looked at my install and asked " Whats that?"

I said " Thats a stereo!". Heehee- I'm not sure if everyone there actually had any front end speakers! It was interesting :)

Some there were doing the 'hair' tricks. One popped his windshield seal and put a chick sitting on it and she kept sliding down cuz the bass would rattle her off. It was funny! Guess somewhere around here there are TWINS that have a 180+ DB vehicle?? I havent met them but heard people talking.

Mark has the pics- I'm not sure how to load on here, so hopefully he'll be updating the rest of the install soon and then we can get the Finished pics up. Also- going to shoot a video to show everything in reference to the rest of the truk.

People cant believe 8x12"s & 5000 watts, amps on the ceiling- u cant see anything from outside, its all in the 2 foot section behind the suicide doors. Doesnt look like 8 months of work in MY opinion :), but people rage over it.

I'll be in a lot, hear a 'boom boom', and then people will gather, someone who knows me will have said "U gotta check out that truk" and point. The naysayers approach, smirk on their face. Then group together and scoff. One will get closer for a look and I'll chat with him, pointing out features of the door panels or underdash components, then open the back door for the reveal. He'll turn to his friends and start shouting. The group gathers closer. I'll let one sit in the drivers seat, as the truk is pretty well soundproofed. Loud outside, but its inside where ur noodle gets the hammering.

Once inside, I get my ear plugs in and the 'attendee' will look and raise an eyebrow. Then it comes in waves! Haha. We hit 151 with the windows open on a MOVIE! They start yelling. THEN I hit the EPI button and its all over! They jump out and tell their friends to get in! lol

One guy put his girlfriend in and said 'Giver'. I looked at her and

said "U sure?" She said "Yup". So, on we go!

She looked at me and I could read her lips saying "Thats #$@^*&@ loud" and I saw her eyes water up and tears start rolling down her cheeks! Uhoh! Figered she'd had enuf by then! hahahaha. oops!

Guy who came second was real close- we were .2 DB apart. I said "U hear mine yet?" He said "Nope". I motioned- get in. And played it for him.

When we were done, he got out and said "Thats %$*#%) loud"! I laffed and appreciated that compliment! Its a LOT louder than the numbers cuz the suicide doors just flex way too much to get a good pressure reading. Thats ok, thats not what my goal was.

But its nice to know people think its loud :) A nice feature is, its a FULL stereo, so watching a movie at that volume is impressive, compared to some of the one-note wonders that were there. NOT knocking any builds, just some spectators didnt get why one note was playing as a steady tone. They seemed to like actually hearing the rest of the music and media.

NO caps, Optimas discharge fast enuf the lights dont blink. Couldnt sit in it long enuf to drain the batts down low anyway. AND- NO PORT NOISE! No whistling, no chuffing. Mark was there- he heard it. OR- actually, didnt hear it- no port noise! :P lol

HEY- long as everyone has fun, thats what its all about! 'Njoy! -BIG DAVE

congrats, glad to see all that hard work would pay off and bless you with 2-1st place trophies.

Congrats. Look forward to pix!

Thanks for the great pics! I don't feel like such a dinosaur anymore. Old school true car audio with excessively nice workmanship. I have to say I haven't seen a huge build with that much forethought to the structural integrity and not having a big portion being "screw in" jobs in a long time. And as a "Ducktales"/"Fishman" fan years ago the story was awesome. Best luck in the future with the truck! It makes me want to break out my tools and start cutting stuff out again. A++

PS Enjoy the Busa Its my dream bike but I settled for a GXSR1000 for a while, someday maybe I can move up.. :)

Edited by The Buzz

THANKS BUZZ! I appraciate that! Ya- things have kinda gone the way of just slam a box together and get it in :( Our city is over a million ppl and even the custom shop I worked at years ago- no one stocks colored carpet, port flanges, variety of wafer fuses, etc. I said "How do u build stereos?" They replied, "We cover everything in black or salt&pepper carpet/trunk liner".

I hunted for port flanges and was referred to one place, called them and they said "Oh- we build our OWN boxes and put ports in." "Oh,wow" I said. lol

These guys must be 'Fatwackers', if they BUILD their OWN boxes & ports! lol. I dont think they understood when I asked if they had PORT FLANGES? Somehow, routering a chunk of ABS into painted fiberglass just wasnt gonna do it for me! hahaha.

The world has changed. I HAD to build somethin nice :) Glad u 'njoy! Keep the spirit!- Big Dave