Sign in to follow this  
anarchyaudio

5.25 Mid range looking to change

anyone suggest a compent set/ woofer 5.25 that sounds better than the polk momos that I have now Looking for a little more mid bass from them and good crisp and clear mids Thanks

Edited by Anarchyaudio

I have been using my dual 5.25 polks in my doors for about 2 years, I have custom door pods built into the factory door locations. I have 2 5.25 in each door. I am wanting to stay away from putting kick panels, there is not really any more room for bigger speakers in the doors. I am wanting a fuller sounding front stage. I have 1 set of tweets flush mounted in the A pillars.. My front channel off the head unit is powering the tweets crossed over @ 3500 hz. The 2 mids are run off the rear channel and ran in series they are crossed over @ 80 hz . both are ran off the 4 channel sony amp I have. They sound good but seem a little flat to me. All this is in a 2000 dodge ram reg cab. I am looking for a well rounded full sounding front stage. As far a budget goes would not want to spend anymore than 300 per set. and I am hoping to find just a midbass/ midrange woofer and a component set. The clarion head unit I have has time alignment and a nice 3 way crossover system. I have been trying to utilze it to the max.

If I thought it would make a real difference I would be inclined to add kick panels, but the guys I work with on my stereo stuff says it would not really imporve my front stage being so low and I am big guy. but I am listening and learning. I am not afraid to work with fiberglass and molding materials. In the next few months I am going to be doing an upgrade to my amps. but thats for a later post. I have worked with a few mid ranges Infinity, polk, rockford fosgate, and kicker over the years. But I have really in the last 2 years gotten really serious about it. I have thought about going to competitions but I want to get everything set up before the start of next years events. Sorry about the earlier post was @ work and trying to post real quick. thanks for any help

Oh ya I listen to wide variety of music so I need flexablity. everything from rock to rap to techno to concert piano. Thats a huge part of it the ability to switch with the mood.

do you have your doors deadend? I know in those trucks you can fit up to 8" midbass in the door with minimal modifacation. You may want to consider 3 way active. midbass in the doors and 3"-4" midrange in the kicks. then tweets. There are others here that can help you more.

something to consider.

do you have your doors deadend? I know in those trucks you can fit up to 8" midbass in the door with minimal modifacation. You may want to consider 3 way active. midbass in the doors and 3"-4" midrange in the kicks. then tweets. There are others here that can help you more.

something to consider.

ya doors are dynamated up pretty good. I could fit an 8's but thats it. the window motor is in the way for much more and the window trck is pretty close so it would have to be a shallow mount. I have considered using the 8 in the door but I think I would lose in the end with not enough midrange sound

something to consider.

Read what he typed again.

I'm confused as to how you have things wired. You have the tweeters ran off of the front two channels of the head unit, right? But then you have the two mids up front wired in series and powered off of the head unit? Why did you wire them together?

You should also try getting an external amp. Not only will they make these sound better, but you'll need one if you're going to go 3-way like has been suggested.

something to consider.

Read what he typed again.

He said 3 way active in the door, and 3" or 4' in the kick panel. I could fit the 8 in the door but nothing else. would a 4 in driver in the kick panel make that much midrange, I may be missing the point. I could put like 2 4" in kick panel and the 8 in the door. is that it or am I missing something.

I'm confused as to how you have things wired. You have the tweeters ran off of the front two channels of the head unit, right? But then you have the two mids up front wired in series and powered off of the head unit? Why did you wire them together?

You should also try getting an external amp. Not only will they make these sound better, but you'll need one if you're going to go 3-way like has been suggested.

I have a 4 channel amp the fronts on my rca's are going to my tweets ran through the amp, my head unit has active 3 way crossover it has a variable slope of 6, 12 or 18 they are crossed over @ 3500 hz the mids are ran in parallel off the rear rca and the amp ran @ 80hz through 3500 hz The subs have seperate channel running @ 90 hz and below in a 1 cube sealed boxes. I am adding polifill to them this weekend to see if I can inprove the lows, if not building a new enclosure for 1 12

Time matters not ;) As for your question, a 3" midrange when selected correctly can easily keep up with a 8" midbass.

Time matters not ;) As for your question, a 3" midrange when selected correctly can easily keep up with a 8" midbass.

Cool deal So should I run 2 3" or 2 4" to a kick panel. I have no idea what a good 3 or 4 in would be, nor a midbass that is slim enough to fit in the door I can make the whole work but not sure about the depth is there any shallow 8's out there. I start research the 8's myself also. Thanks for the tip.

using 3/4" baffle you will be able to fit 3.5"-4" of depth on the 8's and still clear your door panels.

You don't need 2 midranges, where did that come from? Nobody said that.

Peerless SLS 8, and HiVi 3" midband drivers are a good choice, there are others too. There are out of the box passive sets available too, but that is where $$ comes in.

2 midranges would be bad, you just need one :)

Cool I was thinking, the volume of sound versus the other speakers. With the subs and the 8s was afraid that the midranges would be drowned out the 2 5.25 sound good but sometimes they get drowned out by the bass I have now.

Completely different frequency ranges. Cone size alone is not what determines output. The real key is making sure you pick a driver that has the capability for the range you are looking to play. Considering most 8's can play up to 200-300hz it doesn't take much to keep up from 300hz+

Completely different frequency ranges. Cone size alone is not what determines output. The real key is making sure you pick a driver that has the capability for the range you are looking to play. Considering most 8's can play up to 200-300hz it doesn't take much to keep up from 300hz+

Cool I was thinking along that line but was not considering there would be no bass coming from the 3"/4" in speakers. I can now see why it can keep up with it.

So my next question in this series is, With the set up on amps I have now, A mono block and a 4 channel, what is the best way to wire the speakers. I am running active tweets and mids right now on seperate channels. And the subs of course on there own. If I add the 8's for mid bass and a 3 or 4 in for midrange and still have my 1" tweets up front do I run one channel for midbass one , one channel for tweets and 2 chanels for midrange. I may be overthinking this. Thanks for your help with this I am really wanting a great front stage. Money is the only real constraint I have. modifications and work part of it I love doing.

Just as a reiterations the head unit has active 3 way crossover with variable slope up to 18 db,

you'll need to get an additional 2 channel amp to run your 8s. every speaker should be on its own channel

Cool Deal Ill have to check into the amp situation, Thanks again guys I am sure Ill have some more question when the time comes for wiring and speaker choices