Sign in to follow this  
appleyard

New Mag box recommendation?

A friend of mine had bought the new mag paired with the Sundown SAE1000. Now this is the first sub that he owns and this is the first time I seen a mag.

After searching in vain for box recommendations, I seem to have the conclusions that the mag is for sealed enclosure based on the recommended box volume on their site. Does anyone knows would it shine in ported as well? If yes what would it be the ideal volume and tuning?

Also he would like more output in his sub so I might design a ported box for him.

1 cube sealed. Not really a ported enclosure type of woofer. If he's concerned on output he probably could have chosen a woofer better suited for that goal.

Indeed. 1 cube sealed. If he intended to get loud, there are other woofers he should have chosen.

Well he bought that sub already and I didnt even know about it until few days ago when he received it.

Thats where I got the box recommendation. Anyone else tried ported? I remember someone did a ported box review on them but couldnt find it.

Edited by appleyard

In the ported review, They said it really didn't get any louder just peakier. So either put it in the recomended sealed box, or sell it to me at half msrp. J/K :P

I've never seen a ported review. Stereo Integrity reps adamantly suggest sealed and say it will not sound good at all in ported. But maybe they're just trying to really stick with what their design goals for the sub were.

You can try going to their own forum from their website and ask.

this is the review i was refering too

http://stereointegrity.com/forums/si-produ...ews-mag-v4.html

Ported drastically reduces the power handling due to the soft suspension used.

I'm pretty sure he didn't actually test it in a ported box, though. He's just saying what happens when you put it into a ported box (hypothetically). If he had actually put it into a ported box I think we would have seen a longer review detailing why it was bad in more aspects than just power handling.

I didn't bother putting it in a ported enclosure because output isn't a concern of mine, and it did so damn well sealed...:)

One of my favorite subs I've heard yet...

Thank all, I bet he will be disappointed with the sub output and I will be waiting to buy it from his hands soon.

Would anyone can compare them to the Brahma mk1. I only had a chance to play with a 15 brahma (actually two) powered by the trusted revo amp. And the brama did excellent in both ported and sealed.

They both use XBL^2 motor topology, but that's about where the similarities end. That's all I can say though. I'm sure they're pretty different subs.

I liked the new Mag more, but the Brahma was available in more cone sizes than the Mag.