dr_hypothesis

Q18s... not very loud

Alright, first post here, but I'm not a newb. Been building boxes and installing for 9 years or so. I just ripped my wall out of my 01 Implala (4 RE SX 15s, Mojo 4000d, 5 batts...) and I picked up a pair of Q18s from a friend of mine. The following equipment is being used: Alpine 9886, ID Chameleon Components, old school Orion 2500d (the all silver one) and an old Orion 300.2, alt is an Iraggi 200amp.

After I ripped my wall out I ran just the 300.2 on my components and ended up with some horrible alternator whine. I've never had whine before. I used some muting plugs and think I narrowed it down to either the deck or the RCAs. I also cannot turn my deck up to my normal listening volume (26 out of 35) without it skipping no matter what disc is in there. This only happens when the sub amp is hooked up, I don't think it's caused from vibrating, because well there just isn't much bass.

I have the 18s in an 8 cube sealed box (after displacement), running the 2500d at 1 ohm. When setting the gain on the amp, even if I turn it all the way up, I can't drive them into distortion. It's like the Alpine cannot drive the 2500d at all. This amp has always been like that, but never to this extent. It sounds like I have a couple of 8s or 10s in the trunk. I just purchased an Eclipse 8053 and I'm hoping it solves some of my problems, but maybe I'm expecting too much from the Qs?

Just looking for some input/advice, as I'm stumped as to where to go right now.

Sounds like you have either bad RCA's or one of the outputs on your deck is bad. Also double check to make sure your woofers aren't wired out of phase.

its not the subs. look at my sig, it tears my car apart with only one

Not sure what box your SX's were in.. but sealed is going to be far more quiet than a ported box.

yeah dude your in a sealed box now and you had more cone area before with more power. and i can say that 2 18s should not be in a trunk. aloha

Try putting a different source signal into the amp. That'll let you know if the head unit is bad. Also, do you turn the subwoofer level up on the head unit?

I realize it's not going to be like my wall was, that thing was pretty brutal. I'm looking for more sq then spl this time around. When I first got this car, I had a single 18 ported in the trunk and it wanged pretty good. At one point I had only a pair of SXs ported in the trunk and those seemed easily twice as loud as the Qs are right now. I know these are good subs, they shouldn't be this quiet.

I'm ditching the Alpine and putting in an Eclipse 8053 and some new RCAs friday night or saturday afternoon. If everything is still crap, I might try one ported before I go back to the SXs (which I really don't want to do).

not the subs man

some other gremlin is tripping you up somewhere...subs are dumb, they do what they are told to do in the environment that they are in :)

Have you tried hookin a ipod or simliar up to the RCA inputs of the amp?

not the subs man

some other gremlin is tripping you up somewhere...subs are dumb, they do what they are told to do in the environment that they are in :)

Interesting, :D

not the subs man

Interesting, :D

Sounds like Nick thinks its the amp or enclosure. I have to agree with him on that.

im going with the fact that they are in a sealed box because im am diggin mine but change the deck and rcas and stuff and see what happens

I do realize they're in the minimum recommended for a sealed box. The Eclipse arrived today, looks to be in damn near pristine condition. I'll be throwing it in either friday night after work or saturday afternoon. Have to go out to my parents to use their garage. It's only 2 degrees outside right now.

Well, I'm at my parents right now. The Eclipse is in and all my problems are solved. :) No more alternator whine to start off with. I haven't tweaked amp settings yet, but I turned the gain all the way down on the 2500d and there is damn near as much bass now then there was with the gain maxed out with the Alpine. The Alpine must be FUBAR.

Can't wait to turn it up and see what the Qs can do. I've been debating whether to build a new box. I know I can squeeze another 1.5 cubes in there, possibly 2 cubes. Anybody experiment with sealed boxes?

I'll post my impressions when I get done tweaking amp settings in the afternoon. Maybe throw some pics up as well.

Eclipse has good head units.

Well, I'm at my parents right now. The Eclipse is in and all my problems are solved. :) No more alternator whine to start off with. I haven't tweaked amp settings yet, but I turned the gain all the way down on the 2500d and there is damn near as much bass now then there was with the gain maxed out with the Alpine. The Alpine must be FUBAR.

Can't wait to turn it up and see what the Qs can do. I've been debating whether to build a new box. I know I can squeeze another 1.5 cubes in there, possibly 2 cubes. Anybody experiment with sealed boxes?

I'll post my impressions when I get done tweaking amp settings in the afternoon. Maybe throw some pics up as well.

:bigclap: