JimJ

"Regular" vs. ribbon tweets

actual technical question follows --->

Basically as the title says...I've decided on an 5.25" or 6.5" MTM design that works for my app, but I've got a choice of ribbon or regular tweets. The ribbon kit is double the price of the normal one at $550...I've never owned a speaker using ribbon tweets, so I don't know if they'd be worth the price increase.

FYI, the speakers I'm looking at can be found at http://www.parkeraudio.net. 95dB/W or 98dB/W at a stable 2 ohm load.

Thanks.

:musik05:

The ribbon kit is double the price of the normal one at $550...I've never owned a speaker using ribbon tweets, so I don't know if they'd be worth the price increase.

I'm looking to find out the same thing myself, actually.

Hopefully someone can provide some insight.

- Steve

The ribbons can play lower and to me have an edge in the detail department. They are also very sensitive and disperse the material over a rather wide field. They are quite easy to damage as well as there is just a small film or membrane that vibrates and it is prone to damage from even slight over powering.

I have read also to always use some form of passive component in-line with it as an elctronic filter is just not enough. You need to increase resistance or something or other. I think Madisound has it pretty laid out, out Zalytron. That's all I can tell you from my own experience though, which is limited.

I don't think I need to worry about overpowering, not at 2 watts RMS per channel :D

There's no extra crossovers or filtering in this circuit, the woofers are rolled off naturally, and there's just a single cap to the tweets.

pix of the ones you are looking at?

Should be on the site, if I'm not mistaken? :)

I don't know the specific ones they use...