tweekerz

suggestions on single 12 setup

Hey guys, new to the forum. The rl-p 12 looks like a good product and i m interested in running one sub sealed. i have a brutus 1500d, can run it at (1500@1ohm, 1000@2ohms). Any reccomendations on box sizes and what ohm i should run my amp at?

for a TC9 based driver like the RL-p, I wouldn't go over a kilowatt in a ported box...

Give it the recommended box size for a ported enclosure, and order the dual 4 ohm model to wire it to a 2 ohm combined load to the amplifier.

for a TC9 based driver like the RL-p, I wouldn't go over a kilowatt in a ported box...

Give it the recommended box size for a ported enclosure, and order the dual 4 ohm model to wire it to a 2 ohm combined load to the amplifier.

how about a sealed?

Would probably have to talk to Mike...1.2kW would be the most I'd run to it, but I'm sure there are people going higher that are careful.

For a single 12 setup, I would run a low tuned ported enclosure anyway.

Would probably have to talk to Mike...1.2kW would be the most I'd run to it, but I'm sure there are people going higher that are careful.

For a single 12 setup, I would run a low tuned ported enclosure anyway.

will a low tuned frequency on a ported be as responsive as a sealed? i ran a orion h2 ported tuned to 30hz and still noticed the lag at times. when you say low tuned are you talking 25hz?

I've got a ported box tuned to 27Hz, and I can't really tell any loss in transient response, but maybe your ears respond differently to some things than mine do.

Are you sure of that enclosure tuning? 30Hz should have a lot of SQ, maybe there was a miscalculation in the port system...

sell the amp and go for an Orion or PB in the 900 watt range

just what I would do, nothing more

;)

an Avionixx 800.2 would go nicely with the dual 2 ohm version of the RL-p...

just IMO.

that is a very nice amp from what I have read so far, but I have not touched one, maybe Jamie has had his hands on one recently

Hey tweekerz. Pretty sure I fielded your question via email but I'll post it here for reference anyway:

A single RL-p12 performs best with anywhere from 300 up to 1200 wrms.  It

surely doesn't need 1200+ wrms to get loud, so I would advocate running your

amp with 1000wrms @ 2ohms.  With that amount of power, I would recommend the

RL-p12 be placed in a 0.8-1.0 cu ft net volume sealed enclosure.  Let me

know if you have any other questions and I'll do my best to help you out.

Take care,

~mike

Re-reading my own recommendation, you could safely up that box size to 1.2 cu ft if you prefer.

that is a very nice amp from what I have read so far, but I have not touched one, maybe Jamie has had his hands on one recently

The reason I recommended it is because I used to have one...used it for about six months with my e12a.22 before going to the PG T1200.1. A nice little amp, the only thing I didn't like about it was the inflexibility in ohm loads - it was only stable down to a 4 ohm mono load.

Never gave me a hint of problems in the time I had it, though.

thanks for the replies guys. out of the ed 13ov2 and the rl-p, will either one outshine the other in a small sealed with 1kw from my brutus? kinda hard to grasp how these sound when ive never heard any of them. any details would help.

personally, I would run the RL-p

better built sub IMO :)

considering that they both come out of the same buildhouse :D

i'd say the build quality is a toss up. when I get my TC9+ I can do a sound quality comparison between them (the Ov.2's are sonically very close to an e12a.22, with a little less output).

class T, IIRC...

wasn't recommended for use with a front stage.

My soundsplinter rl-p 12 dvc4 came in the mail today. BTW, excellent packing job Mike! Sub looks very good, build quality seems to be very high. the tinsel leads are woven through very nicely, the claw basket has a nice coat of glossy black paint on it. the spring loaded wire terminals are mounted on sturdy. you can tell there was some TLC here. the little old lady at the ups store couldnt lift the box so she asked me go behind the counter and do it myself lol. i have a 1^3 sealed enclosure to put it in this evening, just to break in the sub. then ill move to a 1.18^3 flush mount sealed enc or possibly ported...

I've got a ported box tuned to 27Hz, and I can't really tell any loss in transient response, but maybe your ears respond differently to some things than mine do.

Are you sure of that enclosure tuning? 30Hz should have a lot of SQ, maybe there was a miscalculation in the port system...

what do you mean by transient response?