matt5112

Recone issues

I bought and installed a recone kit for a Soundsplinter RL-P18 (TC-9 motor). Things were going well, everything aligned properly, or so I thought.

When the cone is depressed with equal pressure on it there is no scratching noise so the coil does appear to be misaligned.

When running at low volumes (Low excursion) the sub sounds fairly decent, perhaps just a bit too distorted compared to the sub when i had originally bought it.

The issues start when I begin to turn it up (300-500 watts). There seems to be a clipping noise of sorts and it becomes very distracting from the useful output of the sub.

I cannot test the DCR because I have no working DMM but using a 9 V battery both coils appear to be working fine and their polarities are fine. The cone is also having no issues moving at large excursions as I've tested with 20 Hz and 10 Hz sine waves at decent levels.

The reference for distorted sound would be my functional Mach5 IXL 18.2.2 while playing the song "The Four Horsemen".

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Nope, tested with a 9 v with the coils wired in series. Cone moves either direction depending on the polarity of the battery, just like it should.

Edit: I'll upload a video sometime today, lets see if it helps.

Edited by Matt5112