Sign in to follow this  
anarchyaudio

A pillar location Not just for tweets

I have been getting a lot of opinions lately for sq subs, amps and setups. I was wondering, per a suggestion earlier, That if I ran 8's in my door for mid bass and a 3" woofer for mid range in kick panel with tweets in A pillar. Has anyone ever made a custom speaker pod in the A piller for a 3" or a 4 " woofer. And if so how does it sound, what are the trouble you run into with that kind of set up. I am trying to shy away from kick panels just cause I am a big guy and the kicks being so low I am afraid I will lose alot of imaging. But here is what I am afraid of putting the mid ranges in the a pillers, that it will be to splashy or high pitch and make your ears bleed with the reflections off the windshield. I dont have room in my doors for both the 8's and the midranges with out doing some major recontruction which I am wanting to stay away from as well. Thanks ahead of time for everyones opinions.

I've seen it done (and probably going to re-do the A-pillars for that install).

One major draw-back I see is the fact that a 3"-4" mid will obscure a bit of vision.

You will be better off listening to the mids in diffrent positions and see which suits you best. Buying good gear and throwing it in a car is not going to get great results. Lots of tuning / listening / testing is mandatory to build a good sounding system.

Notice I'm not using the term SQ. It basically defines the whole system, not just a component, because, as I said, install is going to be the key factor.

Ive been wondering the same thing. I have a pair of 3.5's I considered putting in the A pillar just dont know how it would sound... I thought it would look really nice though and they have a pillars with gauge pods for air/fuel or oil pressure etc., but the only size cutouts ive seen are 2 1/16 inches...

I've seen it done (and probably going to re-do the A-pillars for that install).

One major draw-back I see is the fact that a 3"-4" mid will obscure a bit of vision.

You will be better off listening to the mids in diffrent positions and see which suits you best. Buying good gear and throwing it in a car is not going to get great results. Lots of tuning / listening / testing is mandatory to build a good sounding system.

Notice I'm not using the term SQ. It basically defines the whole system, not just a component, because, as I said, install is going to be the key factor.

Ya, I am wanting to work with it, just was wondering if anyone had use this type of application. I really like to hear what everyone has to say and get as much insight as I can before starting a project. Just so I can test with the most effieciency possible. Given my limited experience thus far with the car audio environment.

I know it possible but it plausible to listen to the speakers in a given location not properly mounted or should I mount them where I want them listen to them if I dont like seek a new location. And work my way down the list that way.

Edited by Anarchyaudio

Ive been wondering the same thing. I have a pair of 3.5's I considered putting in the A pillar just dont know how it would sound... I thought it would look really nice though and they have a pillars with gauge pods for air/fuel or oil pressure etc., but the only size cutouts ive seen are 2 1/16 inches...

Yes exactly that is what I was thinking a speaker located there about the size of a tach guage, Fiberglassed in nice and sweet to give it that nice molded look. The position I am in is how will it sound. Guess I wont know till I try it.

I had a 4" mid in my silverado's A-pillar, it bugged me too much because it was a huge blind spot when i drove around lol. It sounded nice having it up there.

I thought Dave Brooks's truck sounded amazing with the midranges up on the pillar :)

But that also had a huge windshield. In anything smaller, I could see where loss of peripheral vision could be a problem.

I have done mids in the pillar....

with a mid or tweet blaring in your face the stage will sound one sided...

just make shure they are turned in towards the center of the vehicle so you listen to them off phase

I had a 4" mid in my silverado's A-pillar, it bugged me too much because it was a huge blind spot when i drove around lol. It sounded nice having it up there.

Hmm, my dodge has a huge windshield and dash area thats why I was considering it, I think I can get them down low enough not to bother my view that bad wont know till I try :drink40:

I thought Dave Brooks's truck sounded amazing with the midranges up on the pillar :)

But that also had a huge windshield. In anything smaller, I could see where loss of peripheral vision could be a problem.

Cool deal I was thinking it would bring the sound right up to you and with the midbass being in the doors should bring it inand front of you alot more. I am really getting stoke about trying this out.

I have done mids in the pillar....

with a mid or tweet blaring in your face the stage will sound one sided...

just make shure they are turned in towards the center of the vehicle so you listen to them off phase

That was my next concern was getting them to image correctly with them being in you face like that I was wondering how to even it out so you dont get blasted by one side. I was considering turning them into the windshield to give it more of delay to the listener but thought it might make it to bright and splashy, Also considered facing them to the middle, I wonder if I added a center speaker if that would helpme or hurt me. The only reason I mention that is cause I am considering taking the middle vents out to put a 7 in monitor in the dash. and if I do that then the room for the center speaker would be nothing to come up with.

Hmm, my dodge has a huge windshield and dash area thats why I was considering it, I think I can get them down low enough not to bother my view that bad wont know till I try trink40.gif

Well, Dodges are HUGE! especially newer ones.

Hmm, my dodge has a huge windshield and dash area thats why I was considering it, I think I can get them down low enough not to bother my view that bad wont know till I try trink40.gif

Well, Dodges are HUGE! especially newer ones.

ya mine is a 2000 its good size only thing is I wish it was a ext cab but cant have it all

My Silverado is a 98 single cab K1500 lol. its my SQ truck...and my winter driver

but my main (with setup) truck is my ext. cab ranger

Edited by Jason907

I tried my tweeters in the wave guides in the pillar but because of the windsheild

I couldn't get them to tuck out of the way or turn them in.....I kept them like this for a very short time

the in your face thing was really IN YOUR FACE

5492811164_large.jpg?130121-336

I tried several different places and I ended up keeping them like this

still have alot of work to do on the interior but it sounds absolutley amazing

5492811229_large.jpg?145420-336

5492811228_large.jpg?115920-336

Looks great, Did you make the door pods your self? I am not sure I have the leg room for doors like. I am 6'2 and 350lbs bmfer LOL, I bet that setup sounds amazing.

What speakers are those in the doors?

those are 2 sets of the JBL 660gti components......

best components I have ever heard

wonder what ////////////M5 will say.