Mark LaFountain

dCON prototypes are arriving today (Video page 3)

curious why a smaller suround looks like it would be capable of similar excursion as the icon just less powerhandling. the magnet stack is just as tall and the basket looks the same so mechanically wouldnt it have the same capabilitys.

What has been changed mechanically on these woofers from the Icon? Are they more efficient than the Icons? What is the ball park figure on the price?

If they sound as good as the Icon's and are priced less than $150 (which it seems they will) this will be an amazing driver. I will definitely have to jump in on the Pre-sale!

there will be a pre-sale... right ;)

curious why a smaller suround looks like it would be capable of similar excursion as the icon just less powerhandling. the magnet stack is just as tall and the basket looks the same so mechanically wouldnt it have the same capabilitys.

The dcon will be capable of less excursion then the Icon. Going to be approx 15-17mm, but will not know for sure until we have the version that is going into production.

no T/S yet, i'm assuming? how will they do in "smaller" enclosures vs. the icon?

When they are ready for production, we will release specs. And as they stand they should be at home in slightly smaller boxes then what the Icon favors.

no T/S yet, i'm assuming? how will they do in "smaller" enclosures vs. the icon?

When they are ready for production, we will release specs. And as they stand they should be at home in slightly smaller boxes then what the Icon favors.

I would be interested in pre-sale on one of these.

Are they going to be offered in 4ohm DVC?

Edited by sick6ness

they are available in 4ohm DVC .....:drink40:

I would be interested in pre-sale on one of these.

Are they going to be offered in 4ohm DVC?

We don't plan to as we feel we are pretty close to production now.

I think I've found my future subs. Does the box need to be as big and can it be sealed?

Nah man, these subs are gonna enjoy smaller enclosures

I think I've found my future subs. Does the box need to be as big and can it be sealed?

Nah man, these subs are gonna enjoy smaller enclosures

Well, all three of our lines (dcon, icon, xcon) will preform great in standard sized enclosures. We have to keep that in mind because there are plenty of people out there that can't or don't know how to build a custom enclosure. With that said, the Icon has tended to really thrive in boxes that are a little on the larger end of the spectrum, the Xcon prototype seems to be happy in standard sizes (but I need to test more enclosures to really reign in it's sweet spot, and the dcon seems to be very flexible so far (but just like the xcon, we need to test a few more sizes to have the optimal sizing pin pointed. Like the Icon, I plan to give a normal range, and then an optimal size for sealed and ported.

The dcon will be capable of less excursion then the Icon. Going to be approx 15-17mm, but will not know for sure until we have the version that is going into production.

what is holding it back. the basket looks identical so im guessing same size spiders just not as stiff or less of them. the magnet stack is also just as tall so mechanically other than the surround it looks just as capable. the coil i cant see so im guessing that is what is holding it back. the motor strenght wont be as strong but in the right enclosure im sure it could reach just as much just not linear.

what is holding it back. the basket looks identical so im guessing same size spiders just not as stiff or less of them. the magnet stack is also just as tall so mechanically other than the surround it looks just as capable. the coil i cant see so im guessing that is what is holding it back. the motor strenght wont be as strong but in the right enclosure im sure it could reach just as much just not linear.

Spiders, coil, and surround will not allow it more travel.

I think the excursion will be fine with the D CON......

I have great confidence in Mark and Aarons final results...their products have proven themselves in my eyes...

the only problem I see is people like myself who like to feed 2x the RMS knowing it's over kill to begin with :Doh:

would it be possible to put icon softparts on it and get more travel out of it.

Nope, sorry.

Any update on the date for this things to go on sale?

Edited by sick6ness

a matter of 1-2 weeks now. hope that helps. Actually having a small batch built up right now, and as soon as we get the final specs, they'll be ready for sale. :bigclap:

a matter of 1-2 weeks now. hope that helps. Actually having a small batch built up right now, and as soon as we get the final specs, they'll be ready for sale. :bigclap:

Excellent!

Looking forward to hearing the sound of the 3 12' Dcons in the xA. I think they will sound great. Hopefully, we will have the money next week. These are gonna give that edge to the car that it is lacking. Do some shows and some SPL, this should fun. :dance:

I was curious to see if you guys are planning on offering a D2 or better yet a 4 ohm SVC version down the road? I can't help but think how many small to midsized 2 channel amps would be perfectly suited for this woofer if it was 4 ohms, or how well it could run, say, on the bridged rear channels of a moderately powerful 4 channel, or even 6 channel. The D4 happens to work well with the application that I am running, but i think a 4 ohm version might be just the right ticket for so many people...the guys who want to run it off a bridged pair of channels, the guys with an extra 2 channel rather than a monoblock to run their lows, or a trio run in parallel to an SAE 1200 ;)