jonbearsmt

need to find a 24 volt to 12 volt step down,

im working on one of our buses, its a 24 volt system..... and i need to do a huge system on it.... so! i need a step down.. somthing that can handle 500 amps or so... or less.. i could just use a few of them

i tryed looking for my self.

A stepdown transformer capable of handling that kind of current is going to be as heavy as the bus itself :P

You might want to try marine supply stores, larger boats may have a use for something that big to convert 24V ship's power down to 12V under that kind of load. But it won't be cheap.

http://www.samlexamerica.com/products/prod...roductsID=60085

That's only 60A...

holly shit!

i need to look more into this.... there must be a step down factory for this bus. i cant belive that all the lights inside and out would be 24 volts,

any ideas????

i have a crazy idea too... use pro dj amps and what nots.. this buss has a huge gen on it.

No option for adding a 12v alt and battery bank?

maybe... ill have to see ... i think there is alot of space for mounts....

to bad i failed to take pics of the motor before tearing them BOTH down.

both the buses had atleast one blown head on each motor.... we bought 2 used sets... and all but 1 of the 8 heads have cracks! were wasting money pretty good at this point! so its looking like audio maybe the place to make budget cuts later in the build so i wanna hurry and buy all thats needed now so it too late!

If the generator has fairly clean output I say a whole damn rack of DJ equipment.

ill check asap but im sure its 5000-10000 watts.

ive got a way out there idea.. but i dont even know if it will work.

Since you have the 24 volts. could you put a bank of battery but connect all the negs of those batts to the pos fo the 24 volt source and all the pos of the batts to the ground. then connect all the amps to the neg terminal of the batts. That would reduce it down to 12 volts. or maybe use 8 volt batteries in the same way and get 16 volts.

it works in circuits classes ive done with batteries, but idk if it will work with somethin that big

Edited by fritosaregood

Well, you could also do a 24v battery bank of 12v batteries. Say you have two amps, run one off of each 12v battery (or you'll end up overcharging one battery and under charging the other, which could still happen) and then you'll probably need ground isolators on the amp inputs because of the different ground potentials. Without anymore info I say pro amps or a 12v system.

Not sure how that gen works, but if it's engine driven you wouldn't have 110 with the engine off, a 12v system could give you music with the engine off.

well we run the gen when it bus is loaded, thats the only timemusic will be played...

i got some update pics ill have to put in the Limo topic.

i may just add a 12 volt alt to the system... ill see what our mechs can do:D

Stepdown transformer won't work on DC and you don't want to tap off the middle of a battery bank to get 12V because you'll be boiling(overcharging) the hell out of the other unused battery. An exception would be if you had 2 12V batteries in Series and you could match the output of the amps connected to them... then you could charge at 24V and run 2 matched sets of 12V amps. To drop from 24V to 12V, you'll need a good switching power supply.

Best solution is adding alternators or 120V generators.

Edited by Gebrochen