Sign in to follow this  
ShaneSauce

My dad's ideas. (help)

Well I'm trying to talk to my dad about my system, keep in mind I'm only 16.

And he is funding for most of my first system.

I was talking to him about building a box and everything and he said it was too much work when you could just go out and buy a nice prefab box.

Well of course I explained to him that a decent prefab 4.0cuft box will be like $150 shipped, why do that when you can make your own for like $50.

He went on about carpeting the box and how the fiber board falling apart or something when you drill down the screws?

So he said why don't you just get one of those loaded enclosures and amps from best buy or circuit city?

I tried to explain that those are overpriced loads of crap..

He mentioned a ad in the paper for 2 sony xplods a box and a 200watt amp for $300 I was just shaking my head in disbelief..

Maybe he doesn't understand that I just want a 15 a 1000 watt amp and a 4.0cuft box?

Damn I would rather spend $400 for a system that slams compared to $300 for garbage..

i would just ask for money for christmas or somthin lol

maybe show him some pics and a layout of your box and he might think "hey thats not too bad at all", my rents were like that too man but ive won them over haha.

i would just ask for money for christmas or somthin lol

I'm seriously thinking about it..

I don't want to argue with him but I wanna show him that it will work good and in the end we will both be happy.

edit: I showed him a fully detailed sketch of my box from the top view and front view with specs and box cutouts and everything and he just kind of shrugged that off.

He said its a full day project to build that box.

Edited by ShaneSauce

or show him a couple of build logs on here, im sure itll change his mind

indeed do a lay out...

and the wood wont shit out if you pre drill the holes.

a 4 cube box would be pretty quick to knock out even with bracing and port your looking at like 3 hours tops for your first build (depending on how u plan it out and everything)

suggest that your dad could just cut the wood for you and then get some of your friends over to assemble it.

tell him it would be good bonding time between you two that what i told my dad and we took our time on my box

hey if he wants to buy a premade box have him buy a fisher or pts box with a kerfed port. you know it will look sweet and be perfect for the sub plus he wont need to build anything. on a second note what guy doesnt want a reason to use power tools.

tell him it would be good bonding time between you two that what i told my dad and we took our time on my box

tell your mom that she should make your dad help you for sake of father son time. i wanted to try one with more port area....

DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince said it best: "Parents just don't understand"

i like your idea, don't compromise! your dad should be stoked to build stuff with you anyways, remind him you'll be gone to college in two years and see how that works for motivation... i've got a 15" in 4cu in my accord on 1500w and im verry happy.

hey if he wants to buy a premade box have him buy a fisher or pts box with a kerfed port. you know it will look sweet and be perfect for the sub plus he wont need to build anything. on a second note what guy doesnt want a reason to use power tools.

i wouldn't mind a fisher or PTS enclosure :bigclap:

DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince said it best: "Parents just don't understand"

In my case, my parents understand too well...once they heard the BIB's, they wanted me to build a pair for their place :( I remember my mom got pissed after I sold the Maggie SMGs :D She still wants a set of six footers for upstairs...

It saves money, while learning a new skill...my first time building a box, it took me at least 4 hours (planning, cutting, redoing cuts) and another 2 hours gluing it all together...and trying to find something to cut a perfect circle was hard without a router lol.