SoundSplinter

First Looks: SoundSplinter RL-i Series 8" Driver

all I have to say is :domoslay:

No pic's quite yet.. but Steve I got the numbers I think you need (and then some grin2.gif):

RL-i8 Measurements:

• Mounting Depth: 14.6 cm
  • Total Depth inc. Gasket: 16 cm
  • Depth of Basket (not including gasket or motor assembly): 7.2 cm
  • Widest Basket Width (in the 7.2 cm of depth listed above): 18 cm
  • Weight: 18 lbs
  • Magnet Width: 15.6 cm
  • Magnet Weight: 4.2 lbs x 2
  • Driver Diameter inc. Gasket: 22 cm

Thiele-Small Parameters coming very soon!

I would also like to state that these are not to be used as standalone midbass drivers. They are designed as a subwoofer and will do a fantastic job with the sub bass frequencies, but above 100 Hz they will not perform as well. My apologies to those who may have had hopes otherwise yingyang.gif

mmmmm MIKE! stop teasing us, we want pics already!

you're making me seriously consider ditching the SXs for a pair of these

Thanks for those numbers, Mike! :)

I'll see what I can come up with. We'll say it involves front seats, underseat enclosures, and rear firing ;)

Too bad they won't work up front with the horns.

Hmm, might have to do something with a pair of these. I know a friend of mine is very interested about using one or two in his 84 Corvette.

whats the logo gonna look like

No logo on the RL-i8's.

They will simply feature an all black face with a clear coat finish on the cone (which will make 'em nice and glossy).

Hmm, might have to do something with a pair of these. I know a friend of mine is very interested about using one or two in his 84 Corvette.

I'd bet these would be absolutely phenomenal in a 'vette!

Nice and tight enclosure spec's which won't take up massive amounts of room, but plenty of robustified output :foshizzle:

I'd bet these would be absolutely phenomenal in a 'vette!

Nice and tight enclosure spec's which won't take up massive amounts of room, but plenty of robustified output :foshizzle:

O, I know, that's why I have been telling him he has to do it :)

whats the logo gonna look like

No logo on the RL-i8's.

They will simply feature an all black face with a clear coat finish on the cone (which will make 'em nice and glossy).

not to be a punk but, arent the pics at the your site old pics of the i and p subs, i think you should change them if they are, they look like non shiny black smooth cones which i believe the subs you send to people arent

i love the pics of the i8" put they arent what youre gonna be selling, again not trying to be a punk but proto photos and stuff like that are misleading for those who dont have the time to read thru all these threads, finding out what it will really look like

not to be a punk but, arent the pics at the your site old pics of the i and p subs, i think you should change them if they are, they look like non shiny black smooth cones which i believe the subs you send to people arent

i love the pics of the i8" put they arent what youre gonna be selling, again not trying to be a punk but proto photos and stuff like that are misleading for those who dont have the time to read thru all these threads, finding out what it will really look like

:lame:

Give him time, the cone design changes have been plentiful thus far.

not to be a punk but,

Punk! :ready2go::poop: :ph34r: ;):lol2:

But on a serious note, I know that there is some stuff on the website that is a little dated and I do apologize.. I am planning on getting to most of it but I have a lot on my plate at the moment and I'd much rather concentrate on giving quality service to my current and future customers, including bringing new drivers to market, than nit pick over some pictures on the website. Additionally, I still have drivers with the cone model you see on the website in stock (the RL-i series), so it is only 50% misleading ;)

I will be adding a note on the website that driver cosmetics will change from time to time and that there are no guarantees that what you will receive will be what is on the webpage (a standard disclaimer that many companies use). I do try to ensure that all the drivers look sexy, even if different.. but if you need to know exactly what is available at the present moment, I always invite anyone to email me and just ask me and I'll do my best to answer all your questions.

Also, I will be adding an image gallery to the website over the next month or so - which will allow everyone to see just how varied the cosmetics can be! Indeed I have gone through quite a few styles, but like I said, I think they are all beautiful and if you need to know exactly what you're getting all you need to do is ask.

Thiele/Small Parameters for the RL-i series 8" driver:

• Qts = 0.457
  • Qes = 0.536
  • Qms = 3.122
  • Sd = 190 cm^2
  • Fs = 38.8 Hz (free air resonance)
  • Res = 7.6 Ohms
  • Ls = 4.14 m
  • Lp = 6.136 m
  • Rp = 10.91 Ohms
  • Dia = 156 m
    (% shift) = 29.0 %
  • Vas = 8.247
  • Mms = 104.6 g
  • Cms = 160.7 u
  • Bl = 19.02
  • n0 = 86.42 m
  • SPL/Sensitivity = 81.36 dB
    Added mass = 104 g

Edited by SoundSplinter

:woot:

The enclosure shall start!!!!!

Thiele/Small Parameters for the RL-i series 8" driver:
  • Qts = 0.457
  • Qes = 0.536
  • Qms = 3.122
  • Sd = 1900 cm^2
  • Fs = 38.8 Hz (free air resonance)
  • Res = 7.6 Ohms
  • Ls = 4.14 m
  • Lp = 6.136 m
  • Rp = 10.91 Ohms
  • Dia = 156 m
    (% shift) = 29.0 %
  • Vas = 8.247
  • Mms = 104.6 g
  • Cms = 160.7 u
  • Bl = 19.02
  • n0 = 86.42 m
  • SPL/Sensitivity = 81.36 dB
    Added mass = 104 g

What about XMAX??

Pshhh....

all you need to know is that it moves ;)

Hey all,

Down at TC today helping them revamp their website, but I'll do my best to work out some enclosure recommendations as soon as I can. The boots are in transit from Ohio, so they will arrive next week for sure. I may have to wait for a re-shipping up to Los Angeles though, since I'm not planning on being down here next week. At any rate, I think I will start shipping these bad boys by next Friday.

I believe Xmax on the RL-i8 is 17.8 mm

Ok, had a chance to play some numbers through Leap.. I think the best overall enclosure for an SQ oriented system with these new 8's would be a 0.17 cu ft net volume sealed. I ran this quickly so I may revise this recommendation in the neat future ;)

jesus h tapdancing christ thats a lot of excursion to be had in such a tiny box

Well...

i checked out the W7 8 specs.

Its just a bit better but when it comes down to price vs peformance the RL-p wins