bmr4life

Whats louder and whats deeper?

Icon 12" sealed or a Icon 10" ported?

Should have added, I meant in ideal boxes.

Also, I would like to tune the box to 15-20hz since my amp does not have an SSF.

I've got a blown 12" icon that i'll either fix or swap for a 10" and port. The 12" port box is just to big.

Edited by S197

What is your goal here? You looking for just plain loud or what? You are also going to have to look at what will fit your space requirements the best as well.

thanks for pointing out. I updated the original post.

id go 10 ported can most likely be louder and deeper if the box is built right

What would the box need to be?

My trunk opening sucks so it limits box size. 15x15x22 would be the max dimensions.

We need to make a sticky with all these questions in it because there has been like 20 posts of the same question just today lol.

This is very dependent on the box and the install. A 12 sealed can really get the job done. But if you prefer ported, the 10 is also very capable. :)

id do the ten in 1.25cu tuned to 28hz. you shouldnt have any problems with the sub bottoming out unless you play very low tones. most music doesnt go below 30hz and even if you play a couple hz below tuning you shouldnt have any issues.

tuning to 15-20 hz in a vehicle isn't overly practical, especially with the small space you have since a tune that low will require a long port which displaces a lot. also, tuning that low is hardly any different than just running sealed. You won't automatically blow your sub if you don't have a subsonic filter on a ported box. There aren't very many songs that have sub-30 hz bass notes that would be below your tuning. You just have to realize when there are so that you can turn it down a tad and avoid overexcursion. I went without a SSF on my ported box for about 5 years with no problems. You just have to be smart about it.

With that said, it depends on what your definition of "deeper" is. Since most music doesn't get lower than 30 hz, as I mentioned, and a ported box usually exaggerates the 30-40 hz range, a ported box is often seen to sound "deeper." But if you actually want to play 15 hz notes, go sealed. Below 25 hz or so the sealed box will be louder.

Hmm, feel like I've written this a time or two today.

I know a 12" would sound good sealed but I would take the ported 10" over it

tuning at 31hz sounds deep , drops plenty with the lows and have a nice over all flat response

Thanks for the replies. I'll be giving the 10" ported a try. Can anyone recommend a box design given my max dimensions?

15x15x20 should be enough right?

You have a nice sub. Why don't you get a amp with a subsonic filter on it incase some mad man gets in with a bass mechanik cd?