Sign in to follow this  
tez4life

12 Sundown E8s

My car is currently in the shop awaiting repairs from the recent break in. Since I have the time and I have not posted on this forum before, (I think) I was just wondering how you guys feel about these little guys. Should only need 6 cubic feet net ported, and have almost the cone surface are of (4) 15s :)

Just considering something different for a good sounding daily that will drop low and get fairly loud. Power would be from a 3000d of course.

Almost forgot car is a 2004 Ford Crown Vic seen here,

SANY0015.jpg

old setup, just to give you an idea of how big the trunk was, that box was 4 cubic feet net tuned to 28hz

Picture053.jpg

I would have to do subs and port up, but I did that with my single RL-p 15" and liked it better than sub/port back so that doesnt concern me. Just would like to have some feedback from the forum if this seems doable, ive never run 8"s and im kind of curious.

Want to break away from the normal, (2) 15s, (4) 12s etc and do something different. Thanks.

You can do alot with them, really...

The last 8s project I did as with 8 RE8s. They did 143db on the termlab with 150watts total.... Most people don't do that with 1000 watts it seems... So I guess what I am trying to say is, you can get really loud with 8s if you build the box right...

The getting low part has pretty much nothing to do with the size of the driver, it is much more dependant on the box and T/S parameters... Aditionally, 12 8s will give you a ton of thermal power handling... Much more than most pairs of 15s so you won't have to worry so much in that department...

With a 3000d, all else being equal you'll have roughly 250 watts a woofer, should be plenty but not so much to get you in trouble....

Sounds like a fun project!

You can do alot with them, really...

The last 8s project I did as with 8 RE8s. They did 143db on the termlab with 150watts total.... Most people don't do that with 1000 watts it seems... So I guess what I am trying to say is, you can get really loud with 8s if you build the box right...

The getting low part has pretty much nothing to do with the size of the driver, it is much more dependant on the box and T/S parameters... Aditionally, 12 8s will give you a ton of thermal power handling... Much more than most pairs of 15s so you won't have to worry so much in that department...

With a 3000d, all else being equal you'll have roughly 250 watts a woofer, should be plenty but not so much to get you in trouble....

Thanks for that, and thats very impressive with only 150w. Im considering dropping it down to 8 subs so I can run a smaller box and retain my spare tire. I would still feed them the 3000d just keeping the gains low, and to have a little headroom :).

Im hoping 6 cubic feet net @ 30hz for the 12, will give me a nice flat response across the board with a strong low end.

I hope so Denim. I mean, how many people can say that they have (12) 8s ported in there trunk right? Lol.

Just want something that will sound great as a daily driver at high or low volumes. My RL-p really spoiled me on the sound im looking for.

im tuned in for this one. gl with the build :)

I hope so Denim. I mean, how many people can say that they have (12) 8s ported in there trunk right? Lol.

Just want something that will sound great as a daily driver at high or low volumes. My RL-p really spoiled me on the sound im looking for.

I can say I have 16 sealed at the moment, in a trunk.

Where did you think I got the idea from in the first place? ;) Lol.

I was considering 16 sealed at one time myself, but I would have had to do 8 firing up and 8 firing toward my taillights. I was concerned about cancelling issues with that setup, but i imagine it would be nice. Yours seem to move quite well from the vids you have posted.

Im looking forward to that being complete.

lets see it! pics vids

I did have a question for you guys though. If I go with (12) then I got to fire them and the port up toward my trunk lid. I only have 25" of length and 42" of width max to play with. Im going to have to do 4 rows with (3) 8s in each from the front of the trunk to the back and that would put the port right up against the rear trunk wall without any real room to breath. I can still go CRX style with this setup but again same issue, that why I wanted to fire the port up.

If I drop it down to (8) subs, then it wont be an issue anymore, can just do subs up, port back and call it a day. Box would be smaller too. But, I like the idea of having all those subs pushing air in my car.

What do you guys thing? Input?

mine is pretty close yours would be closer?

Picture1146.jpg

Yours was on my mind, my friend. I thought about that today when this came up. Seems to be working out very well for you. I might try it anyway with the port rear firing and see the results.

Whats the outside measurements of that box? We have almost identical trunks, thanks to Ford. :)

front to back......

Picture115.jpg

side to side

Picture114.jpg

tall

Picture117.jpg

Thanks for that Jon. :)

Inside of box

128Sundowns.jpg

And heres a few box designs, first is for 8 8s but I would drop the box size down to 4 cubic feet net and rear fire the ports if I went that route.

128Sundowns1.jpg

And heres the box for the 12, only way to do them since the face wont have enough room for all 12 8s.

128Sundowns2.jpg

Let me know what you guys think..

Edited by tez4life

you could do one with 6 on top and 6 on the front, instead of the 8 on top and 4 on front

you could do one with 6 on top and 6 on the front, instead of the 8 on top and 4 on front

Thanks man, I ran that by my box designer, so its a go. Im also going to flip the box so (6) 8s and the ports fire toward the rear, and the remaining (6) 8"s will fire towards my trunk lid. Im really curious to see how this turns out, but the build wont start for at least a month or so. Got to get the holidays behind me and make time to work on the car, I work 11 to 7:30 am :(

there is some fool on CA that has like 6 million 10's in this lincoln towncar... have you seen his build?

I have done a truck with 16-- 8's.. Man was that a fun ride. I did True Bass Ultra 8's and 4 MMats 300hc's it pulled 156.6 in the kick.. My New Project for Jacob will be 32-- 10's for this year. Power wise will be in the 24,000 to 28,000 range. But if I could go back with 8's I would man they were fun to play with. Good luck on the build I'll be watching.

hmm or do 12 8's in a 4th order bandpass withthe port goin thru the reardeck

u will be really loud cuz all the bass will be goin in the car vs staying in the trunk

u have the room to do it...

u can u make the box a l shape..so some of the 8's are in that little space directly under the rear decku can make the sealed chamber small...and have them play in a huge common chamber..thats wats goin to make u low ass balls

Thanks man, I ran that by my box designer, so its a go. Im also going to flip the box so (6) 8s and the ports fire toward the rear, and the remaining (6) 8"s will fire towards my trunk lid. Im really curious to see how this turns out, but the build wont start for at least a month or so. Got to get the holidays behind me and make time to work on the car, I work 11 to 7:30 am :(

np :)

there is some fool on CA that has like 6 million 10's in this lincoln towncar... have you seen his build?

Lmao, I have Jon, me and him are from the same city. His setup was what it was suppose to be, a budget groundpounder. I cant knock him too much, he payed for everything in the system what im paying for electral upgrades lol. Never got to sit in the car, but heard it coming a few times and it was loud, very loud.

Our cars have alot of potental because of the size of their trunks for some pretty serious systems, like yours ;)

I have done a truck with 16-- 8's.. Man was that a fun ride. I did True Bass Ultra 8's and 4 MMats 300hc's it pulled 156.6 in the kick.. My New Project for Jacob will be 32-- 10's for this year. Power wise will be in the 24,000 to 28,000 range. But if I could go back with 8's I would man they were fun to play with. Good luck on the build I'll be watching.

I bet that was amazing. I honestly would like to do a wall with the E8s if I had the money. 32 sealed would only require 8 cubic feet net and ported would only need 19.2 cubic feet net. Though about a nice V wall sealed on (2) 3000ds would sound amazing and move quite a bit of air.

u will be really loud cuz all the bass will be goin in the car vs staying in the trunk

u can u make the box a l shape..so some of the 8's are in that little space directly under the rear decku can make the sealed chamber small...and have them play in a huge common chamber..thats wats goin to make u low ass balls

That would be really cool 80 and prob sound great. I wish I could have something like that done and be able to just channel all the output into the cabin.

I would have to take it to a really good shop to do that kind of work. I see what your saying though, can you scribble it down so I can get a better picture of your idea for the design?

80, do you think I would have the room for (16) in the 4th order vented through the rear deck? Be a little easier to wire and a little more output :)

I wish I could do a wall, but GF has a 2 year old, so need the back seat for the family.

Sign in to follow this