Sign in to follow this  
SquishY

Bad box woes.

So Ive got what looked like a decent box on paper (BBP6) but once built is quite depressing and seems to be choking the sub. It sounds decent but just leaves the thought that so much more could be gotten from it, but Im not all that great with designing boxes, every now and then a good one pops up. Another member gave me the idea to build the box in a way that the sub would angle some to fire more towards the rear glass and have the port fire back, if anyone is willing to toss in some input or maybe help with a design that would be greatly appreciated.

Space to work with is 17.5" tall, 24" deep, and if possible 28" wide but could get up to 36" wide if I relocate the spare.

Looking for a low tune, like 32~hz about good?

Sub is a 15" D1 Mayhem with power coming from an AQ2200D, more power to come after the new year when I can hopefully get a better paying job rather than just scraping by.

Sorry for such long post, its late and havent slept yet, so there is much on the brain.

:EDIT:

Forgot to post little pic of what im working with now.

The bad box.

1205081421.jpg

And the fun maker.

1204080007a.jpg

Edited by ThatNinja

Whats the specs on the current enclosure? What is it tuned to? how does it "choke" it?

For a mayhem the site says 3-5cuft. With a box 28x17.5x28 (wxhxd) you get a box with 4.325cuft after sub displacement you'll be around 4.115cuft. Also that's with a port width of 4" by 32" long which gives you 64 square inches of port area or 16 per cuft which is the general rule of thumb i believe. oh and that will leave you with a tune of 32hz. If you want go up to the full 5cuft which will probably give you the best results make the box 32x17.5x24 with 4" port width by 26" long. it'll net you 5.383cuft, 64" square port area, and a tune of 31.34hz

Edited by MemphisMzd

The box now is 17.5 tall 28 wide and 24 deep, port is 3.75 wide. The port length was supposed to be 25, but I effed up when building it so its longer by probably a few inchs (havent measured since realizing this).

I say its choking it but that may be the wrong word for this, it just doesnt move nearly as much as some vids of them and BTLs do on the same or even less power. The sub is stiffer than my friends fully loaded BTL was, but I should still have enough power to get it moving good.

Thx for those measurements Memphis, but to do 28 deep the port opening would be really close to the tailgate, is that fine or would it have to be arranged for sub and port to fire up?

have you tried moving your box around my buddy has a blazer and for comps he has subs up port toward driver side. just turn it and move the spair to the other side. if that doesnt work i have had good luck with sub and port up in suv's. i tried sub and port back it sounded ok but wasnt that loud up front turned the box p and got a lot more output from it also sub forward port up has had good results you could try that with your box as well. i think your biggest problem would be the tuning though if you listen to a lot of rap tune around 36hz and you should see a noticeable increase in bass.

As long as the space between the port and the tailgate is the same or bigger than the port width it should be just fine. My BL is ported up with sub up and it sounds just fine iv actually tried it port back sub back and it wasn't near as loud that way. Only way to honesty tell what way would work better is to try it but i think in your case port up sub up should work out just fine.

How about something like this?

Im not sure if this will even work its just an idea i had and i didn't calculate the port or cubic feet but it can easily be figured out.

subbox4xo1.jpg

Its 24" wide, 17.5" tall, 18" bottom depth, 2" inch top depth.

I tried to do it on an angle to where you can still fit your sub in it.

Juslivin, thats like exactly what i was talking about with it aiming at the back glass with port back still. Might have to wait til after christmas to build a new box :( the closest Ive got to spare cash right now is a 50$ Wal Mart gift card.

Anyone else like that angled sub idea? Would someone be willing to help design that?

Also, little question about ports, would round ports be a possibility for this? and is one big one or two smaller ports better?

I listen to a lot of music but like to keep the tuning low usually.

Thx

subbox4xo1.jpg

LMAO. I was talking to him on aim. And aside from a possible size diffence that is pretty much exactly the same box i suggested :Doh:

Edited by bigtoepfer

subbox4xo1.jpg

LMAO. I was talking to him on aim. And aside from a port diffence that is pretty much exactly the same box i suggested :Doh:

haha

So the idea of getting a smaller spare and relocating it will be done, now I can have lots and lots of room to attempt this odd shaped box with a full 5 cubes of space for the sub. Can go up to 19" tall, 24" deep still leaves room on back of the box for amps or a few of the smaller batterys later on, 35" wide is easy, maybe even a little more but havent been able to measure.

Does anyone think this is actually a good idea to have the sub fire back on an angle like that or would it just look neat?

Does the 12-16" of port per cube apply for round ports aswell?

Let me start off with asking what is your overall goal? Loud daily is what I'm assuming that you want with some decent sound quality. I happen to be one of those guys that swears by aeroports and I could see that 15 getting pretty loud in around 3.5-4cuft with 3 4" aeroports. Thats a pretty common size box that I and friends have used for 15's of similar capabilities and have had excellent results. The only slight issue with going in a box that is 3.5 and tuning it so low is that the ports will have to be pretty long. 25" to be exact, but is not impossible to do. I've found aeroports to be louder than slot ports head to head for daily setups as well as sound better due to less port turbulence. Large spl setups are a different story where slot ports will continue to rule the world, but for daily/street vehicles the aeros are the best thing out there. Give it some thought and see if you may be willing to give em a try.

its already been determined that tomorow im gonna frankenstein my current box to experiment with. if i use one 6'' i get a tad more cone movement and a lot mor vent airspeed. Didnt do the calculations to use three 4'', ive done two boxes before using round ports but this is the first one im doing a lot of work to try and get right for the fact of seeing what i can do and learning a good bit.

OK, so today was fun and now my truck is a little louder. The box started off looking like it did in my first post, and now it looks like.

1226081848.jpg

But to get there it had to look like.

1226081553.jpg

This box isnt permanent but just an experiment that turned out good, nice pretty box to come... Well whenever I get around to it.

It doesn't have to be pretty, It just has to sound good when the ladies hear you coming down the street!

Good point. Now if only I could get ladies because of the bass... Perhaps the seat flex could do something special ;)

Since pictures say a million words, I'll show you some loud setups that my team has had.

IMG_4560.jpg

l_48ef8a752e3944e2b1416a3128f83a62.jpg

budfull.jpg

l_b576947083329826cb11c90491a84962.jpg

100_1351.jpg

In this Blazer we actually found that the best firing position is sub to the passenger side and ports back. All we did was rotate the box.

100_1348.jpg

Most of these are very loud setups. They should give you a good start.

The red Explorer was doing 154's at the headrest.

The black blazer did a 148.1 at the headrest w/ an Audioque 15 and Powerbass 3000d @ 0.5. This was with the car off, playing music, and a single battery under the hood. This is the truck that is on the main page of www.audioque.com right now.

The Jeep did 146's at the head and a 150 in the kick with 2 Type R 12's, Viper 2500d amp and stock electrical system.

These ideas should help you out, a ton.

Its like audio has become an abstract art form, I like it.

haha i could not have said it better myself! then again your ears don't care if the port is inside or outside the box.