blue fury

Build log for 1996 Chevy Lumina- The Blue Fury

Finished the base layer of the front passenger door. Next is the midbass layer, then the midrange layer. I'm not doing them both at the same time because the midrange needs its own airspace to follow tang band's recommendation. Btw those are hex screws and short cylinders of wood glassed in there.

PIC-0392.jpg

PIC-0393.jpg

PIC-0394.jpg

PIC-0395.jpg

PIC-0396.jpg

Now Im waiting to ask a friend to come over sometime this week to use as a second set of hands to position the midbass while I hot glue the support dowels to the ring and base.

Got the 8" ring in. It barely rubs against the bottom of an interior piece so I'll have to grind that 1" section of the ring down.. Nothing major.

PIC-0398.jpg

PIC-0399.jpg

PIC-0397.jpg

I ended up making new adjustable rings for the mids. They took forever to make using the jigsaw.. again.

PIC-0400.jpg

1.2 Liters of clay with .6 liters of styrofoam inside for the correct fb.

PIC-0401.jpg

This will be near the shape of the actual enclosure for it. It may change a bit, but I'll probably end up keeping it and add the layers tonight.

PIC-0402.jpg

View from right

PIC-0403.jpg

View from bottom

PIC-0404.jpg

View from left

PIC-0405.jpg

looken really good man keep up the good work. looking forward to the finished product.

Wow. Nice fab work on everything. Love the battery idea. I wished I didn't need my spare tire. :(

Good build going man...

Some advice on your fiberglass techniques, look into a thing called a "rabbit bit" and getting a router, it allows you to make a small grove and really cleans up your work piece when you attach fabric for your shapping of the fiberglass surface

Good build going man...

Some advice on your fiberglass techniques, look into a thing called a "rabbit bit" and getting a router, it allows you to make a small grove and really cleans up your work piece when you attach fabric for your shapping of the fiberglass surface

Thanks for the advice. I'll look into it since I don't have a big variety of tools to work with. Any little bit will help

Final touch-ups with resin

PIC-0408.jpg

PIC-0409.jpg

Lots of bondo for the first time, hopefully I'll use less on the next door.

PIC-0410.jpg

A before and after (pre-carpet)

PIC-0412.jpg

These pictures don't really show how much better and more smooth this one is coming out. It's almost all thanks to a new 4" grinder (with a sanding wheel I got for it) my dad got that came with a hammer drill he bought. It gets the job done in like 1/6th of the time that the 3" air grinder and orbital sander takes. But hopefully the orbital sander doesn't poop out on me during the bondo stage tomorrow.. it started to run roughly and slow way down even though there's only one speed :( The grinder is too much for finer sanding and I don't wanna take 89 days by sanding by hand.

PIC-0422.jpg

PIC-0421.jpg

Started on the tweeters. I listened to them right next to the mids but I liked them up on the sails a little better. Maybe tomorrow or Thursday is when I'll finish the resin stage.

PIC-0426.jpg

PIC-0423.jpg

PIC-0424.jpg

PIC-0425.jpg

PIC-0427.jpg

Just a little trim around the edges

PIC-0428.jpg

PIC-0429.jpg

PIC-0430.jpg

PIC-0431.jpg

PIC-0432.jpg

PIC-0433.jpg

PIC-0434.jpg

PIC-0435.jpg

Tweeter mounts: trimmed again and ready for carpet.

PIC-0436.jpg

Everything is hooked up. After the auto TA and EQ was set, the vocals and higher sounds sounded as if they originated right in front of the steering wheel :) I'm so happy that it's in but I'm still not done. The to-do list includes:

-set the gains *right now they're easily lower than their proper level, especially the mids

-eliminate the hiss coming from the tweeters as best as I can

-put the sub setup back in

-finish the door panels/tweeter mounts with bondo and carpet next month ($$)

-clean up the garage and room

-do something with the old ipod holder

-hide the newly added auxiliary cable

then fix the broken sub and make a box for the both of them once I have some money to spend

I'll try to remember to take a picture or two tomorrow of the doors.

Here it is without carpet from driver point of view.

PIC-0438.jpg

PIC-0437.jpg

Damn I need your skills with the glass! That 3 way setup looks sick. Nicely done bro.

Thanks guys

Now that school has started, it's hard for me to find the time just to put the sub back in. :/

WOW, lot of man hours into this job!

I have a few pair of those vifa tweeters they do sound particularly nice on-axis (off axis...not so hot) definitley picked the best spot for them IMO.

Just reread my post about origin of the vocals, I didn't mean actually in front of the steering wheel, I meant directional-wise. If I were to guess a point were the vocals seem to originate, it would be about a foot or 2 outside the windshield in line with the steering wheel and my eyes.

Anyway, here's what's next.

littlex.jpg

xconbox.jpg

2 12" Xcons in a ported box tuned to 31hz designed by Mobeious.

This is really REALLY good work IMO. Seriously, this is awesome; great job! :fing34:

Can't wait to see the xcons go in...

I had some free time after dusk so I thought it'd be a good opportunity to put in my Christmas present. These are only the low beams, the highs will be installed at a later time.

DSC_0078.jpg

Front1.jpg

DSC_0082.jpg

Front2.jpg

DSC_0086.jpg

Front3.jpg

I'll adjust the height of the driver light a little later

The quick test fit

PIC-0494.jpg

This piece just came out so nice I needed a picture of it

PIC-0493.jpg

Starting to come together

PIC-0495.jpg

I'll probably finish gluing it and routing all the remaining sharp edges tomorrow.

This is taking a lot longer than I thought, but it'll be worth it.

PIC-0496.jpg

PIC-0497.jpg

PIC-0498.jpg

PIC-0499.jpg

Clamps didn't work as well as wedging a block midway down the port.

I wired and glued the top on today at about 5pm but the glue still isn't fully dry because of the humid and cold weather :mad: It'll get one or 2 more coats of paint tomorrow, then carpet. Til then, here's a little sneak

PIC-0500.jpg

And remember, each hole was cut freehand with a sabresaw.

While I waited for the glue to dry, I started carpeting the doors. I didn't get very far tho.. only one done. One of the two easy back doors. I imagine the front doors to be a big pain in the ass. I am replacing the stock gray nylon cut pile on the lower half of the doors with gray velour fabric. Why? Because carpeting the front fiberglass panels with the stock cut pile would be horribly difficult because of the thickness of the material. Plus, I believe this looks and feels much nicer.

I wanted suede, but the sewn suede that the store had looked bad compared to this. I was hoping that they had the microsuede in stock, but I'm out of time... the semester will start soon.

PIC-0501.jpg

PIC-0502.jpg

PIC-0503.jpg

PIC-0504.jpg

PIC-0505.jpg

PIC-0506.jpg

A little bumpy on the bottom, but this is my first attempt and no one will see it.