CadillacMatt

1995 Cadillac Deville, 2 Fi Q 15's, AQ2200D

This year has started off really hectic but I finally finished my pods, so here we are!

DCP_0059-1.jpg

A few wrinkles, vinyl is so hard to work with! It's ok, they add character ;)

DCP_0060-1.jpg

DCP_0061-1.jpg

Had some chrome left so I used it up :) Custom badging there too

DCP_0062-1.jpg

DCP_0063-1.jpg

And a little something only Texas boys would understand :D

DCP_0064-1.jpg

I was driving along today with the bass up, and my freakin rearview mirror explodes! The trim ring that holds all the innards in place spontaneously flies off at me and the mirror assembly just falls out... at first I was like :Doh: and then I was like :bigclap: lol

Simple fix just need some glue

l_9b0dd90979e64150b55f86fdd7378c8e.jpg

l_d7f7c1a7b7ea4600b112a8c2ba1cbd4b.jpg

welcome to the club....

i wish mine just needed glue!

Yes I am new to this But i really like the way your lac is coming along. And i have a 97 and a 01 lac deville and would like the specs of that box you build thanx much respect. Want to start my Build.

Back with a few little updates! Been on the job hunt for the past few months so progress has been a little slow to say the least lol.

First of all, I replaced the Pioneer HU with a Dual Touchscreen (yeah go ahead and bash me for it lol) but I got it on eBay for $68 because the little front screen doesn't work so it was a good deal for now... plus, I have a Power Acoustik crossover on order which I'm going to run my iPod directly into instead of routing it through the HU.

l_face5af35210405dae2ae3e31655547b.jpg

Hmm what else... well I finally managed to get the speaker guards painted.

l_bf6c231debd74e8ca9a960e667eef533.jpg

l_8172a0bab6a1452c994fd218cd1b20c6.jpg

l_78a8dad731d64bb28fb71e2ab640a8b1.jpg

Painting the visor screens, have two 15" roof mounts on order as well

l_038efa23ac164600b4ff27e4f3a1ab41.jpg

l_116120bb47444d4cb2fdae172e4c30e6.jpg

Going to mount the iPod on its own little stand projecting from the front of the center console, so it's right in reach. It'll be hard-wired into the car and the audio signal will come from the line-out dock connector instead of the headphone jack like most others.

Doesn't look like much now... this is the basic idea

l_5551d211bf124372afbdfbc781bf6c19.jpg

l_5dbdc0739a4142e596db2684426e3146.jpg

Miscellaneous crap

l_91713bcce8694f6b95d73ec508f19ebb.jpg

I've been searching all over the internet trying to figure out how to have the iPod and headunit both wired up to the sound system but be able to play them independently... nobody seemed to have a clue how to do this so I came up with the preamp/crossover solution (which the iPod needed anyways) so we shall see what happens :crazy:

Okie doke...

Progress on the car has slowed to a crawl after investing in the 250amp MechMan alt... makes a world of difference, but now I find myself needing a new battery (plus an extra one wouldn't help). And the cheapo head unit went out, which I fully expected... only a matter of time... however, I'm running my iPod directly through a preamp/EQ back to the amplifiers so it's all good for now. Just no video. :shrug:

Which is what I finally managed to accomplish about a month or so ago... getting these screens mounted! Extremely time consuming! If I had to do it again I would be paying somebody! I originally had 3 15" monitors, but my dumb ass hooked one of them up bass-ackwards and let the genie right out of that monkey. Oh well, stuff happens.

Mayhem ensues:

IMG00640-20100103-1614.jpg

IMG00639-20100103-1614.jpg

IMG00009-20100105-1707.jpg

IMG00008-20100105-1649.jpg

IMG00003-20100105-1624.jpg

Damplifying that roof baby! Looks kinda strange, but there is a method to my madness. Figured this would be the best use of what I had, placing small reinforcing pieces in the middle of each larger piece seems to work great. Overkill? Hell I don't know. It looked like a good idea :woot:

IMG00001-20100105-1604.jpg

Might I also add that deadening the roof makes a WORLD of difference. The only part of the car yet to be wrapped are the back doors. I have a sheet and a half left from the door pack which I'm going to give to Hugo :fing34:

More tomorrow :2girls:

Edited by CadillacMatt

Love the build. Very nice. I have a 2002 Seville STS I'm starting to very very very slowly work on haha

PUT SOME SWANGAS ON THE SLAB! EIGHTY FO'S!! NOT THAT EIGHTY THREE SHIT! - Texas slang ahahaha

PUT SOME SWANGAS ON THE SLAB! EIGHTY FO'S!! NOT THAT EIGHTY THREE SHIT! - Texas slang ahahaha

Had them on my old baby... much better ride quality... haha this is such an old pic don't anybody laugh :rockwoot:

My homeboy's '80 powder white Monte Carlo in the background :popcorn:

l_d913983e447dbefac0f3c8060128e304.jpg

Love the build. Very nice. I have a 2002 Seville STS I'm starting to very very very slowly work on haha

Thanks, awesome, can't wait to see it :)

Edited by CadillacMatt

Pods lOok gOod Matt. How do you like the ID's?

I will be building new pods starting today, for my 10" mid-basses.biggrin.gif

Pods lOok gOod Matt. How do you like the ID's?

I will be building new pods starting today, for my 10" mid-basses.biggrin.gif

Duuuuuude....

Those ID's are amazing. I was a little apprehensive at first but I sprung for them based on a few reviews, I'm glad I did. And the customer service is top notch! I managed to burn through a set of crossovers, three tweeters, and a midbass before I figured out my amp was bad (they were patient with me the entire time and only charged me for the woofer!)

Can't wait to see those pods man, I'm really itchin' to get back into fiberglass again (pun intended ;))

Well as some of you know the Q's are toast... going to be sending them to Steve Mead here shortly. Drove up to San Marcos... left with Jon's 18" Sundown Nightshade (also reconed by Steve) and he tells me it will handle up to 3k daily and 7k burp... after riding around for a couple weeks with it in the backseat hooked up to my AQ2200D I went ahead and took it out so I can finish parting out my system.

Spent the last couple of weeks gently breaking it in, it sounds great off of 2200watts but it will sound even better with more power... so I'm going to spend the next couple of months gathering my thoughts and materials to plan this next build... I want to integrate it into the trunk instead of just having a big ole clunky box back there. Whatever it is it's going to have to be sub up, port front configuration.. I will most likely get in touch with Chris over at Fisher Customs again for the box design since he did a great job on the last.

For the amp I'm thinking either a SAZ-3000D or maybe one of those Crescendo 3k's that Vic was running...

Oh, and probably going to remove my non-working air shocks from the back and put some stiffer passive shocks in the back to cope up with the extra weight!

Just a few pics

IMG00224-20100720-2050.jpg

IMG00222-20100720-2049.jpg

IMG00216-20100707-1914-1.jpg

IMG00215-20100707-1913-1.jpg

Edited by CadillacMatt

a beast indeed!

lol definitely. Sooo... just realized how truly old this topic is but I'm not going to start a new one until I'm seriously ready to start on this build... lol! :captain:

How do you like it compared to your Q's, any pros or cons? Glad you got some bump already :drink40:

That should beat pretty good man. got something for ya tomorrow ;)

How do you like it compared to your Q's, any pros or cons? Glad you got some bump already :drink40:

Hehe, well with the couple of weeks I had her rigged up in my backseat and have been gently breaking her in, I like what I hear. Jon was telling me that the Nightshades are designed to be SPL woofers, but as I learn with every setup I own that the woofer's performance is 90% install dependent... It sounds good on music but I think for that purpose the box is a tad small... I believe he said it was about 4 cubes, you can hear it in the frequency response as the low end rolls off pretty steeply... probably an excellent box for scoring high on the TL but I'll definitely give her some more breathing room in the next enclosure! And then I can write a proper review!

Took the box out today, it's serving an excellent purpose as a coffee table in my room for now ;)

That should beat pretty good man. got something for ya tomorrow ;)

I have the next few days off unfortunately so I'll run up to HD or Lowes and score some lumber and foam, and get these off to you already... can you email or PM me your shipping info? Thanks Steve!

Edited by CadillacMatt

the Q's sound great! and they got real low!

they did sound better then the bl's IMO musicly wise....

but the bls would take abuse and power like a champ!!

but i was very suprised with theQ's

ear wise the lac was probably as loud as mine... i was shocked.

cool input do you think the subs would sound louder with a sealed box?

Your kidding right?

That box was 6 cubes. fyi :peepwall:

I just picked up one of those Crescendo amps. For the price and the performance seen, it's a good deal. Good luck with built.

That box was 6 cubes. fyi :peepwall:

yeah the box seemed to be about 6 cubes to me.........

4 cubes was the smallest size that an 18 inch shade can be ran is...... i think matt got mixed up!

once you get that sub in the trunk it will sound smoother.. if your plans were to take back some of that trunk space.. i would try 4 cubes.. and trust me.. the trunk install will change the sound of the sub.

you noticed the change from my same set up in a trunk to a cabin..

lol... now when you say "louder" what do you mean..... take the time and read around about what goals meet what box you may be looking for.

You got one more post to the big 5,000 Jon lol