Phil04

RL-P 15 Box/Performance Q's

Hey, few questions. First, I currently have my RL-P 15 in a 2cuft box sealed. Pushing it with a SoundStream Reference 500sx, which does 500wrms, though I doubt I am near that because my electrical system sucks lol. The sub is currently in my Mazda 626. I am shopping around for a hatch at the moment. My first question would be what would I hypothesize would happen as far as changes in performance if I brought the volume down to 1.75 or 1.5? It for some reason seams the sub's power handling isn't as high as I was expecting and I wonder if that has something to do with the box. This leads to my second quesiton. Second question is about knowing when the sub is exceeding its limits. What should I look/listen for? Around here there are not many people with high excursion drivers and so I never get to see what limits can be reached. I watch on realmofexcursion, but I cant tell which sounds are real and which are just camera mike/file quality errors. Should it be perfectly quiet at all times or is it ok to have a pop sound or knocking sound at high excursions? This is the first sub I am actually attempting to push to its limits and I am a bit apprehensive, as you can tell. Also, if the sub is making noises while trunk is open, does closing the trunk put more pressure on the sub, effectively keeping it from moving as far? I don't believe it would since most force on the sub is due to the internal volume of the box. Final question for the night is can moving a sub from the back of the trunk (by the seats) to the front of the trunk yield significant increases? I guess that also goes for just repositioning in general. I know it can change where the peaks and valleys are within the car, but can it be that drastic of a change? Sorry if my questions sound amateurish. These are just things that I have never experimented with...aside from finding the limits of my friends stock supra sub with my 500sx. Needless to say the sub no longer moves...as in it is fused and will not move if you push on it. Cheap thrill, but fun none the less.

2ft^3 sealed with just 500wrms should be perfect for ur sub. how are ur gains set? u could be clipping the heck outa it.

i'm running a 12" rl-p in 1.25ft^3 sealed off 750wrms, and have run it ported in as much as 2.5ft^3 with 1200wrms. that has been the only time i've felt i've pushed it too far.

the rl-p will tell ya when ur clipping it however.as setting the gains in the sealed box off 750wrms has taught me. which leads me to believe that ur expecting too much outa ur amp and hence have got the gains cranked, the sub control on ur h/u cranked, loud on or what ever.

i'd recommend switching to another amp. something in the 750-1000 watt range. u'll be able to get the volume outa the sub ur wanting without having to send it a clipped signal.

otherwise, look into making sure ur box is sealed all the way around. and yes, the subs performance will change trunk lid open vs closed. so it does indeed make a difference. however, i don't believe that's ur problem..

i think ur having amp issues as the rl-p will handle well over 500wrms in the proper enclosure. i've had my rl-p going on a year, almost always running 750wrms, other times, it's been 1200wrms. no issues, no problems.

check back and let us know.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

It for some reason seams the sub's power handling isn't as high as I was expecting and I wonder if that has something to do with the box.

This leads to my second quesiton. Second question is about knowing when the sub is exceeding its limits. What should I look/listen for? Should it be perfectly quiet at all times or is it ok to have a pop sound or knocking sound at high excursions?

Hey Phillip. We had our first driver return last week and have found that some of our 15" models sold between August 2004 and January 2005 had a minor flaw in craftsmanship where the spring-action terminals were protruding too far above the spoke of the basket where they were attached, causing the cone to actually hit the top of the lead-wire connection at high excursions, which may be responsible for the "pop sound or knocking sound" you mentioned. If this sounds like the problem you are experiencing, please email me asap and we can arrange for an exchange immediately.

New 15's are in stock, redesigned such that they won't have the same potential problem (using a slightly different spider and shortening the terminal height). They will be shipping as early as this coming Monday. I will also be sending an email out to all RL-p15 owners who purchased their units between the above dates, informing them of the possible issue, and that it is fully covered under warranty. I apologize for this inconvenience but we'll set you straight right away.

Hey, as far as settings...I know i'm fine there. Been doing this for years, just attempted to reach the full potential of my subs. I have a soundstream Reference 500sx...which has more than enough power. I have the gain maybe half way up and my deck setting is flat and volume is at 3/4. Deck is Pioneer 8600mp, so I am not worried about any distortion from it. I see no cause for clipping anywhere. Yes, the drivers were having probs...mine was the one sent back due to the push termials, so that's not the problem. I just want to know what to look/listen for as signs of exceeding its limits. You say I will know... but apparently that's not enough for me. Should the sub never make any distinct sounds at high excursions? Or will there be some sounds as it reaches its peaks?

i just don't see how u've reached the utmost potential with just 500wrms...i mean my 12 is living very happily with a rated 750wrms...

also, u say the deck settings are flat, does this include any sub level controls?

the rl-p's will make a very distinct metallic sound when u reach either a clipped signal or fullest amount of power. at least IME, when i've heard that, all i did was back the gain down a lil and viola'! instant clean bass. also though, these subs are pretty darn crisp, so u'll hear the initial hit of the bass note, but don't confuse it with the clipping sound..they are two very distinct sounds....

but mike has lived with them longer, maybe he can shed a touch more light.

what i have listed is what i have experienced with these subs. and like i've said, i've thrown up to 1200wrms at the SS without any issues...

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Yes, the drivers were having probs...mine was the one sent back due to the push termials, so that's not the problem. I just want to know what to look/listen for as signs of exceeding its limits.

Ahh, excellent! Happy to know we've still only had one faulty driver so far grin.gif

..sorry you had to deal with that though! tongue2.gif

Given your 500wrms, with the gain set appropriately and your eq's flat, you can push the RL-p to the max and shouldn't experience any signs of overexcursion or clipping whatsoever. So far as what those signs might be, refer to Kent's post above thumbup.gif