MKader17

Amplifier Gains and Preouts

Well the clip light came with the bc2k. But Ok, I'm just trying to figure out which of the 2 is betr to go with. And the correct process of setting it to the HU pre out if that's the way. I appreciate everyone's input but most people say one or the other but won't get detailed

Get somebody thats done it before so you can learn.

well that's what I'm trying to do. There's 2 shops around me that don't know shit. They don't even carry 0g wire. There garbage, so I figured here would be a great option

It is but I cant teach you over the computer. There are better people who could tell you how.

that's cool, if didn't know it was that deep. Figured it could be explained

No one here knows if you can hear stress so the only option then is to be conservative which makes your amp somewhat of a stupid purchase

No one here knows if you can hear stress so the only option then is to be conservative which makes your amp somewhat of a stupid purchase

Pretty sure Id know if it was distorting to all hell. Right now its loud, and clean. Even though you dont recommend using the clip light its hookd up because its on the gain knob, Came with the amp so I figured why not install it... But I usually only get a soft clip on it every now n then. Just wanted deeper info so I knew it was set "somewhat" right. Thanks

Pretty sure Id know if it was distorting to all hell. Right now its loud, and clean. Even though you dont recommend using the clip light its hookd up because its on the gain knob, Came with the amp so I figured why not install it... But I usually only get a soft clip on it every now n then. Just wanted deeper info so I knew it was set "somewhat" right. Thanks

I guess you will find out. If you start to get a burning smell turn it down.

Really? Thanks for the advice/info. Go to smd and ask the same question... 1 answer - Buy a dd1, Come to ssa and all I get is. Try whatever you think, Turn it down if you smell it.Well obviously, Not 1 bit of useful info... 1/4 say dd1, 1/4 say ear, 1/4 say scope, 1/4 watts/ohms chart and a dmm... I mean if im missing info that you would need to help me out you could let me know. Forget it tho, Ill figure it out

Really? Thanks for the advice/info. Go to smd and ask the same question... 1 answer - Buy a dd1

Hey, if you want to use a machine and not understand at all in anyway how to safely run equipment go for it! But when you destroy your speakers anyways you won't understand why and you'll be back to square one.

Just use your brain. Don't focus on trying to be the loudest when you're listening and setting gains. Focus on minimizing distortion. You do not need a dd-1

Ok so hold up wait im confused now... I thought the whole purpose of a better headunit is it provide stronger/cleaner sound source for your amplifier. I thought the main reason an amplifier clips is because the amplifier is straining to output a source that may be too weak/distorted. But with higher input (4v vs 2v) The amplifier works less and also is provided a cleaner signal (so gain doesnt have to be set as high) and this should give you more room to even push subs harder (if ofcourse they can handle) than you could with a 2v headunit and still produce cleaner sound. The way I picture 2v headunit to a 2000w amplifier is like trying to ride your dog like a horse.

Ok so hold up wait im confused now... I thought the whole purpose of a better headunit is it provide stronger/cleaner sound source for your amplifier. I thought the main reason an amplifier clips is because the amplifier is straining to output a source that may be too weak/distorted. But with higher input (4v vs 2v) The amplifier works less and also is provided a cleaner signal (so gain doesnt have to be set as high) and this should give you more room to even push subs harder (if ofcourse they can handle) than you could with a 2v headunit and still produce cleaner sound. The way I picture 2v headunit to a 2000w amplifier is like trying to ride your dog like a horse.

No, completely incorrect. Google the definition of a gain.

You match the gain to the head unit voltage. 2volts or 5volts the end result it the same.eek5wavey.gif

Really? Thanks for the advice/info. Go to smd and ask the same question... 1 answer - Buy a dd1, Come to ssa and all I get is. Try whatever you think, Turn it down if you smell it.Well obviously, Not 1 bit of useful info... 1/4 say dd1, 1/4 say ear, 1/4 say scope, 1/4 watts/ohms chart and a dmm... I mean if im missing info that you would need to help me out you could let me know. Forget it tho, Ill figure it out

Go to SMD and get confused by morons.  That place is all that is bad about capitalism.  Frickin' swine.

Here we are actually trying to help YOU achieve what you need.  The real question is what is your goal for gain setting.  DMM, DD1 are horseshit.  Scope "can" show you good info, although most people use such cheap ones that the information isn't so useful and then the whole fact that it will only work for exactly the level you are inputting and it is dubious at best.

The only thing that is consistent is to use your ear.  After all it is what determine's what distortion YOU can handle and is the only indicator of driver stress/pre-failure there is.  If you don't train it, then you shouldn't push your gear.

I have DDM and I want to try setting the gain will it. 1500 watts x ohm load. 1.3 equals 1950. Root of 1950 is 44.15 volt at speaker outputs @ a 0 db at 50 hertz. I'm I correct

I have DDM and I want to try setting the gain will it. 1500 watts x ohm load. 1.3 equals 1950. Root of 1950 is 44.15 volt at speaker outputs @ a 0 db at 50 hertz. I'm I correct

NO.  Don't do it.  Really not the way you want to go about this.

Ok so what is the correct way.

Train your ear and listen attentively to EVERY song.  ALWAYS.  As for setting, start conservative and work from there.  Goal should be to not only setup your ride right but teach yourself how to listen.

Ok so what is the correct way.

I would say the best way is your ears and nose.

When you hear stress back the gain down some.

But not all music is recorded the same so if you hear stress on another song turn the volume down.

I want to make this simple to understand.  First off a typical Volt meter will only read two things, DC volt and 60hz AC volts  in europe it would be 50hz any other frequency and they will not read properly.  Second while you can set gains in theory with a volt meter it will only be accurate with a load on the amp, I.E.  a speaker.  you would set a 60hz test tone and then increase the amps power until the voltage stops going up, that is the clipping point of the amp, but only at 60hz at may not be the same setting for every frequency but I guess it would be in the ball park.  Realize that any change in battery voltage going to the amp will change the clipping point of the amp so its best to adjust it by ear. 

Second, clipping can be looked at like this, you are asking the amp to provide power for a longer period of time.  A typical sine wave is voltage going up and down in a smooth constant manner.  Clipping is turning part of the sine wave into DC power both positive and negative.  so it goes like this positive voltage up, hold that power there, then go down to negative hold that power there and so on, its like the power being turned on for a longer period of time, also your speaker wants to follow this, goes out, stays out for longer, not moving, creating more heat and less cooling, then the same for the inward stroke.  You cant see this happening but if you listen you can hear it.  It would take a while but I imagine if you put a 12v dc signal on your sub which would be less than 100w on a 2ohm voice coil, it would eventually burn up not from too much power but from the lack of cooling.  

Edited by Notoldjustfeellikeit