papichulo1

Replace my rear coaxials or get a 4 channel amp?

:blink: Heres the situation...I have Boston Acoustic NX67 (around 5yrs old) in the back of my rsx. The problem is that when i raise the volume on my Alpine 9807 HU to around 15 at 200hz, mid-range +4 I get severe distortion from these speakers. A ppi 2240 amp is powering both these speakers and the front CDT Classic Components. The Comps sound beautiful at this volume, you can really here the mids and highs articulate and hereinlies the problem. I want to be able to play my deck at this volume at this specific x-over frequency (200hz) without the rears distorting. Would I be best suited to 1.) replace the boston coaxials with a speaker that can handle higher rms, 2.) replace the ppi 2 channel amp that's powering all 4 speakers to a 4-channel amp, 3.) run the rear Bostons off the decks power and just use the ppi to power the front comps (60watts rms)??? Initially i was thinking of replacing the Boston Nx67 Rallys with some Crystal CSx615 I found at Sounddomain, however at this point I am not even sure if that's an upgrade or, if any differnece would be negligible. This ppi amp is rated at 60watts rms x 2 at 4ohms, so would this mean I am running around 30watts rms per speaker (since its running both the comps and the rear coaxes)?? Anyhow please provide me with your thoughts...if it comes down to getting a 4 channel amp then let me know if theres an amp in the range of $120 that is decent for my applications. Thanks Edited by papichulo1

I'd have a 2 channel amp on the front components and leave it at that. No rear fill needed.

If you like/need the rear fill, get some basic 2 way or dedicated midbass 6.5's and run them in the rear, usually just off of the head unit would suffice.

Really, I don't think you need the rear fill. But you do have options.

- Steve