jonbearsmt

time to lose weight.

I helped my old roomate lose a bunch of weight by switching his diet focusing on more natural foods via tons of vegetables. Instead of eating a triple cheeseburger, I forced him to eat 12 cups of veggies a day. His weight and size dropped quickly and his energy levels skyrocketed.

Basically if it comes from the fruit/veggy or meat section of the grocery it is good calories in my book. Coming from anywhere processed and packaged I'd be wary.

I cut all pop out of my diet a while back, but couldn't substitute with only water. I am now addicted to sparkling water as it gives me the fizz I crave, but goes with anything. If you feel you need a soda, give it a shot. At first you probably won't like it but it will grow on you. At this point I am so addicted I am going to build myself a carbonator. :)

Good luck and keep posting here. The more you communicate your toils the easier it will be for you to keep focused. Like DemBeats I find it inspiring that you are doing this here. :)

hey man dieting is a really good step but you mentioned you do work out right? well if you do then buy a supplement called creatine! i know you and everyone else has probably heard of this but i was 275 pounds before i started working out while taking this product and lost 40 pounds in 2.5 months! but i drank mine with gatorade....they say this builds muscle and burns fat if used properly!

but i also didn't diet, so could have lost more weight, maybe!

ummmm no. creatine makes you gain weight buddy. it holds water in your muscles and i gain about 5-10 pounds everytime i use it. it`s used by people who weight train to help get one or two extra reps in their sets aka muscular endurance. maybe your creatine had some type of fat burner in it....and god do i hate fat burners.

sorry bro, i don't know? just trying to help...yea i know it helps you gain muscle and helps you keep from staying sore for so long after work out's....i'm not 100% sure? but all i know is i lost weight while on this..may not have been the creatine?maybe just the workouts!

Sit In Your Car And Let All The Vibrations Take Care Of The Work ;)

Big Jon, how many inches have you taken off the belt so far?

Keep at it man and the results will amaze you.

Awesome advice given in this thread.

Edited by Bigbangtheory

Also curious to see how your doing jon.

I'm a pretty big guy myself being 6'1 270lbs I know what its like to be on the larger side of things.

There is some great advice given in here.

If your trying to just look better all around the goal isn't to exactly lose weight its to lose body fat, I'm sure you have a good amount of muscle also.

Like everybody else says you gotta keep at it.

BURN MORE CALORIES THAN YOU TAKE IN that's all you have to do...

Find your maintenance level of calories for a week and then drop them by 500-1000 calories a week and you will see almost instant improvements.

Most people with a good enough drop in calories will see 1-2 pounds dropping off every week.

Been big all my life. This is what worked for me to lose weight the right way.

Eat. Don't be afraid to eat. It's what, how much, and when you eat it. Stay away from processed and prepackaged foods. Eat more natural foods. Eat yur daily three and probably 2 or 3 sensible snacks daily. Helps to keep metabolism high. Not eating only sends your body into starvation mode. It looks to burn calories from muscle first then fat. No bueno. Try not to eat after 7-8 pm. Body has a hard time burning calories when u r sleeping unless u r really active late.

Work out and get moderate anerobic exercise. The body will burn more calories when it has more muscle. Do abs everyday. It's your core. Sucks, but must be done.

Stay away from the scale!!! Use your clothes and a mirror as the real guide. The scale will have u worried about numbers more than what you look like. The latter is why u r here in the first place.

I'm sure if you want numbers u can take a TL to your Lincoln!

Good luck.

Jon, now that you are back around, any updates?

Jon, now that you are back around, any updates?

bump

Do not weigh yourself. It will disappoint you every time.

Go by the way your clothes fit on you. If they feel better and are not too tight, well it's working.

Look into Atkins. You wont go hungry and you can still eat your fired chicken. Sugar is evil when you are trying to drop pounds. Empty calories that turn in to fat. Alcohol is Kay too, Jack and diet, Whiskey and water, you get the idea. That weed is no good man, you should send it to me so I can dispose of it proper. :drink:

Dont give up. I am pulling for you big guy.

Edited by Sir-Lancelot

BURN MORE CALORIES THAN YOU TAKE IN that's all you have to do...

Find your maintenance level of calories for a week and then drop them by 500-1000 calories a week and you will see almost instant improvements.

Most people with a good enough drop in calories will see 1-2 pounds dropping off every week.

You need to drop 500-1000 calories a day to lose 1-2lbs a week. 3500 calories is about 1 pound.

The concept is right though, and its easy. Get your body to consume more than your mouth is consuming. Getting your metabolism to respond can be a bit tricky depending on the person.

Hi Jon, It is now 2011 and I am curious to hear how you are doing! It sounds great that you need to make holes in your belt. I just wanted to comment about support from family and friends that don't understand us big guys can't have resses pieces, cake, pie, ect. In my house its just my father and I. He shows his love for me by buying sweets cuz he knows thats what I love (even though its killing me). I have ALWAYS had no willpower, so now that its a new year I have made my mind up to be strong in the fight and know the outcone will be more rewarding than the 2 minutes of extacy from the cake! You have inspired me as I am 477lbs and ready for the journey to begin. I ordered a set of Tony Little (Body Express) dvd's and I'm getting a 100lb punching bag for cardio. Thanks for your story! Can We please get an update????????

Edit: Just wanted to say, Great advice here! I will be employing several things to my daily routine. Thank you all!

"why go to a weight loss website when you can get what you need from SSA" :)

Edited by RaTtLz

My tip for loosing weight : Swimming ! You use every muscle in your body instead of focussing on only a few ...and because of the water you can get rid of the heat produced by your body quickly and therefor train longer , at the top of my game I burned twice the calories of an average sized male each day .

ok this topic is very old and i know..... BUT

4/4/11 i started my new life..... i weighed in at a staggering 455....

on 4/3/11 i went to the store, and bought veggies rice chicken water 3 heads of lettuce tomatoes broccoli special k bars and cereals , ground turkey, and alot more......

then i got rid of all the chairs on my porch, and got 2 stationary bikes, i figure if im gonna be sitting around on my porch i might as well be sitting on a bike,....

well i have been eating different, breakfast is a orange or a banana and a special k bar and a bottle of water,

lunch is a salad

dinner is grilled or boiled chicken breast and white rice and a veggy,

i started to read everything i was eating before i ate it ... WOW i had no fuckkin clue that some of the shit i was eating was anywhere from 500 cals to 800 for a snack during the day! and then my meals were some times 4000 cals... wow.. what an asshole i feel like now....

anyway .. so today is the 27th i have been weighting in once a week.... and im down 21 lbs in 23 days..... not bad if i do say so my self!

thanks for all the help guys even tho it took me longer to get seriouse about it then i wanted.. im on track now!!!

23 days and 21 lbs shed,... whoop!

Great job Jon! Glad to see you are back at it! Here for support if you need some. :)

man 455lbs

I bet if you hit the weights hard for a couple months you would be a beast.

And yeah I use to eat mcdonalds and stuff everyday because it was easy.

Best thing i've came up with is buy good food from the grocery and only eat out on the weekends.

Aslo get urself some whey protein and drink a gallon of water a day... it curbs my appetite somethin fierce

Yea i would also say check your body fat %

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/body-fat-calculator/

or

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/body-fat-percentage-calculator

So you can see how much you are aiming for, its all about setting goals

so 455 if your 30% =318lbs, but that would be down to 0% fat

i'd say 24-26% and you'd be a new man.

Thats some damn good progress Jon.

I'd agree some weights too would be a huge help to your goals. Diet and cardio will not be enough, especially once you hit down around 325. If you start them now, they will only help.

The other thing is, I remember you and your enjoyment of certain recreations. If you cut that out too it can only help man.

J

I'd agree some weights too would be a huge help to your goals. Diet and cardio will not be enough, especially once you hit down around 325. If you start them now, they will only help.

The other thing is, I remember you and your enjoyment of certain recreations. If you cut that out too it can only help man.

J

i need i did quit, i went to the current legal option of spice, not sure if its any better.. but in either fashion i slowed way down!

i also have stopped drinking beer, and slowed down to every two week on my jegger buckets, (jegger and monster 16 oz at a time) and changed it up from monster to suger free redbull to only every other weekend

Way to go, making some good progress, keep it up. I have a hard time not drinking for 1-2 days, I usually drink 2-3 brews every morning right before class. I drink almost every evening as well. Hell, I'm drinking right now.

Keep up the progress bigjon. The best thing to do is just keep at it and not give it. It sounds like you are making some great progress, which will really help you feel better about life in general. The more active you are, the easier things are and the less stress you put on yourself and your body. Great work man!

J

i need i did quit, i went to the current legal option of spice, not sure if its any better.. but in either fashion i slowed way down!

i also have stopped drinking beer, and slowed down to every two week on my jegger buckets, (jegger and monster 16 oz at a time) and changed it up from monster to suger free redbull to only every other weekend

1) Drop the spice. Its not going to do a damn thing for ya in the long run man. I know old habits die hard. But the more you distance yourself the better.

2) Sugar free redbull is not a 'healthy' alternative. I would say try and switch to the monster Absolute Zero. It has a bit better nutritional content in comparison. And every other weekend is a muck better time than it was before.

J