jonbearsmt

time to lose weight.

Keep with it Jon. It's going to be a long road, but in the end it will ALL be worth it. You're adding YEARS to your life once this is completed. Are you a smoker?

i smoke like a old train

Keep with it Jon. It's going to be a long road, but in the end it will ALL be worth it. You're adding YEARS to your life once this is completed. Are you a smoker?

i smoke like a old train

I won't lecture, but I'm sure you know my suggestion!

i smoke like a old train

Bigjon,

Here's some extra motivation for you and other forum members. What is your blood pressure? Everyone here should get that checked. I'm not as large as you, being 5'10" an 260 lbs in October of last year when I was hospitalized for extreme hypertension. I checked in with a BP reading of 265/202, was speed-dripped and now have to take 3 pills a day for that and lose weight quickly. I am down to 220 lbs and all seems to be working but from what the doctor told me they see many more of these cases than they used to. So while you are losing the weight keep the BP on the burner as that is the best indicator of your overall health. Hope this helps.

when i seen the doc he told me my B/P what that of a normal man.. not for someone of my size.. they are allways shocked...

i dont recall the numbers.. but next time im in there ill be sure to remember.

John,

I won't give you a real long story of my life, but being in the military for some time, I read a great book that keep me in check. The Abs Diet. It's a great read. It's an easy read and it's definately geared toward men. The smoothies are great. That got me to lose some weight. The best thing is that you are NEVER starving yourself. It's not a diet, but a way of life. Drink water. For a guy your height and weight, it should be a gallon a day. This will get your metabolism jump started. The body likes to hold on to as much water as it can especially if your not a water drinker. Is your urine always yellow or orange? A hydrated body urinates with a clear or very slight tinge of yellow in it. Best of luck. Let me know if I can help.

You just have to stick with it. I think I heard where the healthy rate to lose weight is only like a pound or two a week or something like that. Keep that long term goal in mind.

I know you don't want advice from some one small, As I am only 5'3 148 pounds. But I have been powerlifting since 2001 and am currently ranked 5th in the country and 10th in the world in my weight class. I am around and deal with a lot of people trying to loose and gain weight all the time. As you already know it is hard to stay on a diet because it gets boring after a while. Hell, I weigh as much as one of your legs and I have to manage to eat 4000 calories a day to mantain my body mass. I am like you I am just dealing with a different demon. Don't try to stop eating what you like because you will fail no matter how hard you try. Food is an addiction just like those cigarrettes you smoke. And just like smoking you can't stop cold turkey you have to take small steps to reduce the amount of food you take in first, then you can work on altering your diet to more healthier foods. An average adult eating three times a day should only eat 1 1/2 to two handfulls of food per serving. Over time gradually reduce the amount of food at each meal and you will see a difference. You would be surprised how much calories you would save if you left a few bites of food left on your plate. Also drink a 8 once glass of water before you begin your meals and it will make you fill fuller.

Well BigJon I can feel your pain. I am 6'2" 400lbs now. I have smoked the green as long as I can remember. My girl makes sure I eat pretty healthy at home. Its funny my girl is a little petite thing. I have always struggled with my weight. but about 5 years ago I blew my knee out. My wife at the time(divorced now) was pregnant with our son now 4. I gain like 100lbs in like 3 months being laid up from my knee. The worst is I want to get out and get movitvate to do more just cant seem to find the time. Work 12 hour night shifts, cant seem to catch a break with a partner to work out with. And sucks trying to go @ it alone. Oh ya I am from the south too. Sweet tea, fried chicken, fried or sweeted everything.

I have found Truvia, that chit is great. Its calorie free, all natural and actually taste like sugar. While helping to lower your glyecimic(sp?) index. Great stuff

Anyway I was going to suggest if you want to try and help movtivate one another give me a call.

Pm if interested and Ill shoot you my contact info. Us big Men have to stick together.

I'm 6'5 300lbs, so I'm now how it is to be big. I've let myself go from my former 250lbs. I would suggest drinking aleast 64 oz. a day and to start lifting weights. I'm no trainer or anything, but I believe lifting weights burns more calories and fat then cardio and diet alone.

you should all just try not eating as big portions. it worked very well for me, after awhile your stomach will actually shrink alot. im 5,11"more like 5,10 but close enough" i used to weigh 250 pounds. now i weigh 150 and ive been steady at 150 for 5 years now. Plus i dont work out i just don't have the time.

i ate what i wanted, lots of soda "most people would say lots", but i didnt drink any beer because everytime i did i would feel fatter, so dont drink beer! i do smoke tho which some people would say i smoke alot.

im not telling anyone to starve, but eat in portions no more than 3 times a day and if you usually snack, i would snack "i did" but again eat less and less each time. i know this wont work for everyone,

also if you usually go out to eat alot being with your friends or family, do something else go to the lake and go fishing and plan a BBQ

and for everyone trying to loose weight just keep at it and everything will fall in place

Edited by wetapoo

I am massiveely proud of you for posting something like this. It takes a lot of balls to post what you did. As you can see though there are many supporters. Since I started this job, I lost all my focus and put on 120 lbs and really am starting to have health problems, and did for the past 3 years. They stopped me from being active or eating healthy.

Drinking water is one of the best. I do this naturaly, so I take it for granted, but water is like your bodies best lube and cleaner. It's like fuel additives and oil additives, you need to always keep a great level of it in you.

I will say the best thing you have done is to start to realize exactly what you put in your body. That's number 1 when it comes to making the fat slide of with ease. I do want to dispell some myths that go around often. I like cars, so I'll use an analogy like I did before.

The don't eat after dark myth.

To over simplify you're bodies fat cells are like your car or trucks gass tank. If you put fuel in it, it will stay there untill you use it. It doesn't matter if you fill it up before work or after work.

The don't eat after 4pm, or 6pm, or 4 hours before bed is worthless for fat loss really. It does however build mental toughness. Someone else mentioned it earlier, we are most likely to drink and eat poorly at night while comuning with fam and friends. So when you commit to eat nothing, it's a strong statement, and accomplishing that will set the tone for the next morning. Everytime you reach a goal(not eating before bed for example) it puts your mental focus in check, and makes you want to work harder to acheive your goal. The same in reverse is also true. Everytime we break and have a snack bag of cheetos, it makes that next diet cheat easier too.

Eating less will help you loose weight. Fat is evil.

Back to the car thing. Your metabolism is the engine of your car. You want to aim to have the best intake and outtake possible. Limiting the fuel won't build that metabolism, it will actually hurt you, and make you more tired.

3 of the 5 people I helped in a weight loss competition lost weight by increasing calories. It matters about what those calories are! The #1 best more powerfull fat burning product out there is lean protein. Hundreds of studies have proven than lean protein will increase the metabolism for 3 hours after eating a lean protein rich snack. 20 grams is all you need. I shoot for 20+ grams every 2 hours. That is the number one tool I have in my arsenal for cutting fat. It works like NOTHING ELSE. I use boneless skinless(insert lean poultry of choice here) and have a few bites every 2 hours. After you get a program like that going add in as many whole foods. Dark deep colored vegis are the best. Spinnach, bell peppers, green beans, etc. I have unpopular opinions about grans so I will leave that out. Our bodies need protein and fat. We can synthesize energy for our cells from both fat and protein. Just stay away from trans fat. It's the worst thing out there for you. Makes HFSyrup look like your best friend.

Cardio is better than weight lifting.

Again, think car. If you build your engine up like you would your muscles, you will burn more fuel just at idle. A v12 will consume more at rest than a 4 banger. Build a strong engine.

Someone said work your core. They are ON POINT. Really though, just get out there do what ever strength exercizes you can. A simple property to think of is anytime you move your body and weight(ie squats) instead of you just moving weight(leg press) you are building a much better machine. Squats are the roughest on most people. I have a retardedly long torso so for me dealifts are my bane. so I do 5-6 machines to suplement, but 3 sets of deadlifts will still be more beneficial to building your body and it's core than 3 sets of 3 different exercizes for your back. I am not saying don't walk and don't jog when your up for it, we need to for our heart and lungs to be in shape too, but motion is motion. If I am winded because I just spent all my oxygen on my 5th set of benching and i'm doing a 2 minuite burn out set for 50 reps you can be sure your heart and lungs got a work out there too. I really feel walking and pedaling to be the BEST cardio after swimming that you can do. And walking takes the win because you can do it anytime anywhere, and it gets you outside!

There are a million other little tweeks, and subtle things you can do to help your body along the way, but really it's basic things. Our body was made for certian foods. Give it to your body. We were also made to move. That's when endorphins get released when we do it. Our biology WANTS US TO.

This is a long post and I don't mean to steal your thunder. In fact you really inspired me. I have the toughest time around my wife, as she is the pickiest eater ever. So far too often I end up making poor food decisions, and eat WAY too much of something that I don't really need.

I wish you luck. We are always here.

thanks and thats great advice...

i offten forget to update this topic...

i have been off soda and sweet tea scence i started this topic.... i have had to make two new holes in my work belt, and i noticed a few shirts are fitting better.... but no huge changes

my chick keeps buying bullshit like yesterday she bought a huge bag of reeses pieces witch i LOVE..

she kept asking me do you want some do you want some ... NO WOMAN. so i know what you mean....

or sitting next to me eating a double 1/4 pounder while im eating a salmon plate with rice,.,. damn i want that beef.

i kinda of expected a lil trash talking when i made this topic.... but even though i dont know yall... you are my friends... so i figured ill share my struggles in life with yall.. and it has been very helpful

thank you to you all.

Good news Jon. Also, try not to weigh yourself everyday, do it once a week to see more of a change. It may be psychological, but it will help. Stick it out. Have you considered quitting smoking? That would make such a huge difference.

yeah i have not been on a scale in years buddy skinny people dont know this but a house hold scale only goes to 200...

i have to go to the post office to find out how much i weight how....... fucked up right?

i would love to stop smoking... its so hard man... i started when i was 15.. im 26 and a truck driver.... and i smoke greem and there is nothing better then a smoke after a smoke....

See if you can't get your lady friend on your side. Explain your goals and strategies to her (I'm sure you probably already have) so that she won't go out and buy reeces pieces and things. These types of things are a lot easier when you have somebody in your corner, and honestly her actions are counterproductive. It'll be a bit tough on her too since I'm sure she does those things to try and make you happy since you used to like them so much, but let her know that you're changing and you have new things that would make you happy, like if she'd eat salmon patties with you.

it's SO HARD when your partner in life doesn't have the same issue.

My wife ate a whole pie over the weekend. Not in one sitting mind you, but from friday night to monday night. She can do that, and it doesn't affect her as much right now. She responds so amazingly well to exercize. I on the other hand need to work really really hard to get my metabolism back to where it used to be.

A couple of my health issues made me need to take anti depressants for pain for a while, and then I was prescribed antibiotics, which anialated my stomach. I'm still haveing issues from that 6 months later now.

I feel your pain BigJon!

WHOO DIET STARTED YESTERDAY LETS GO BIGJOHN IM 5'11 255 AND IM READY TO GET NICE AND SLIM

See if you can't get your lady friend on your side. Explain your goals and strategies to her (I'm sure you probably already have) so that she won't go out and buy reeces pieces and things. These types of things are a lot easier when you have somebody in your corner, and honestly her actions are counterproductive. It'll be a bit tough on her too since I'm sure she does those things to try and make you happy since you used to like them so much, but let her know that you're changing and you have new things that would make you happy, like if she'd eat salmon patties with you.

totally agree man gotta have her on your team.

Big Jon salmon is great too. When I mentioned poultry earlier, it's just because usualy that's the only thing I can cook and travel with. Fish is SO much better though.

Humans need the healthy fat from them. We thrive on it. I think it was argentina... Maybe somewhere else, but they eat more fish than any other population. Men there are some 10 times LESS likely to have heart issues.

Big Jon salmon is great too. When I mentioned poultry earlier, it's just because usualy that's the only thing I can cook and travel with. Fish is SO much better though.

Humans need the healthy fat from them. We thrive on it. I think it was argentina... Maybe somewhere else, but they eat more fish than any other population. Men there are some 10 times LESS likely to have heart issues.

sounds about right, tuna is really good when your on a diet.. but some people think when they mix micracle whip and mustard with it , it is still healthy buhh

bigjon, have you ever though about doing weight watchers? I have seen a lot of people follow this system and it totally changed their eating habbits which in turn help them lose weight.

bigjon, have you ever though about doing weight watchers? I have seen a lot of people follow this system and it totally changed their eating habbits which in turn help them lose weight.

My Mother did that, and it worked wonders for her. The food isn't half bad either! (We all had to 'diet' with her. :P)

mustard is not something I want with tuna.

I use fat free miracle whip if I ever want to use samich dressing. Not because normal stuff is high in fat. It's high in really bad for you fats.

I will put is in a different tone, most healthy fats will stay liquid at room temp. super oils will stay liquid when in the fridge. (check out udo's oil). Once you heat them though they change. The fat molicule changes how it is shaped, and then changes how it works. It can then be really high in not so healthy fats. The take home from this is use natural fats. Butter is better than margarin or crisco by leaps and bounds, etc. If you cook with those oils, do so sparingly. Try to eat more of those healthy oils as raw as possible. Home made vinegrette with olive oil is a fantastic way to get good fats. taste great on salmon too!

My Mother did that, and it worked wonders for her. The food isn't half bad either! (We all had to 'diet' with her. :P)

My wife decided to do this and I did not want to eat smartchoice meals all of the time, so I bought her the cook books. You would not believe the meals you can make for yourself. There are even books that help you choose what to eat when you go to restaurants. Just for referance last August I weighed 240lbs currently I weight 185lbs. So it does work and trust me when I say I am not one to miss a meal or snack.

Jon,

Proud to see ur still goin on this man!!

Since about 3 weeks after the ex left me, I havent been going to the gym, been eating like shit. I am fortunate my body hasnt completly fucked me, but damn if my BF% hasnt gone up some. I gotta get back on the wagon like you man!!!

You are an inspiration bro!!!