Derrick824

Testing all the SAZ amps

You must have used a Probox grill.

Huh? :huh::blink::huh::blink:

Thats a joke. Probox has a grill they say will increase SPL by 3 dB.

Ahh.. yeah, I'm laughing on the inside. :lol:

So, in reference to the dB being higher in the warmer weather,

Why is that? Im sorry for my lack of education, but i'd like to know

why its loader when its warmer......

So, in reference to the dB being higher in the warmer weather,

Why is that? Im sorry for my lack of education, but i'd like to know

why its loader when its warmer......

I can't say exactly because until that day I have never personally experienced it but I've also never tested in 30* weather either. I do know that in colder weather the peak frequency will be lower and throw tuning off but I typically wouldn't expect that to cause near a 1db drop in a street vehicle. Several local guys have experienced the same thing though.

Amps are most efficient within a certain temperature range. Subs tend to be stiff in cold weather as well.

It's been ages since I've seen those jackets and those liners....... sorry.. had a flashback... :Doh:

BTW, awesome info you're sharing! Thanks!

Did you get to hear the difference? comparing db to db is funny because 3db doesn't look like much but isn't it like 2x louder to the ear?

Thanks for this test and also, shouldn't the gains be set exactly the same between each amp? ( assuming the amps all have the same input sensitivity range)

the colder temperatures may have had an effect on the batteries...stiffer spiders also..

There was a good bit of time between each test. (It pretty much took about 4 hours) It wasn't a swap and play, swap and play deal.

That and the fact that temp was in the 30s. The sub never got warm at all. I do believe power compression did come into play with the 3000d. This sub is an original stock NightShade and doesn't take a lot of power to get moving well.

Really? That seems like a low power level for that sub to hit compression. Maybe your impedance rise is low compared to mine.

Really? That seems like a low power level for that sub to hit compression. Maybe your impedance rise is low compared to mine.

With the 50% power increase from the saz-1000d to the saz-1500d I'm seeing the full theoretical 1.5db gain. With the 33% power increase from the saz-1500 to the saz-2000d I'm only 0.2db away from seeing the full theoretical 1db gain. I would also expect to see another 1.5db with the 50% power increase from the saz-2000d to the saz-3000d but in reality I'm only seeing 0.9db. Since the sub isn't gaining spl proportionally with the power increases I'm thinking that power compression is starting to take effect. Now I'm definately not saying that this sub is anywhere near maxxed out. Just that from here on it's gonna take more than the typical 50% increase in power to see the same 1.5db gain.

Keep in mind that my subs are original stock NightShades with the soft 3 spider suspension. They don't need a lot of power to get going good. The saz-1500d has it moving very well. The saz-3000d has it wanting to jump out the box. As for impedance rise, in previous testing my rise has always stayed just below 1ohm. I guess I need to take this testing one step further and clamp each amp along with a video to show sub movement.

IMO the saz-1500d and the saz-2000d are right in the sweet spot for powering this sub since it's stock. I wouldn't dare try to power it with the saz-3000d at full power daily. Now I need to do some testing with my custom built NightShade 18"s. They have the cooling option & longer coil plus the stiffer spider to handle the saz-3000d daily.

when you get done testing the 18" 'shades, sell them to me :D. srsly, ill buy them, im hoping to be running 2 18"s on 2 saz3ks later this year at comps and then at SBN next year

IMO the saz-1500d and the saz-2000d are right in the sweet spot for powering this sub since it's stock. I wouldn't dare try to power it with the saz-3000d at full power daily. Now I need to do some testing with my custom built NightShade 18"s. They have the cooling option & longer coil plus the stiffer spider to handle the saz-3000d daily.

when you get done testing the 18" 'shades, sell them to me :D. srsly, ill buy them, im hoping to be running 2 18"s on 2 saz3ks later this year at comps and then at SBN next year

Those 18"s were at SBN in a white Dodge Magnum being powered by a pair of saz-3000s @ 0.5ohm. They easily took the power. He ended up taking 2nd place in 139.9 BassRace. They are not for sale though. The current NightShades with the now standard longer coil and cooling option have handled 3kwatts but you must keep in mind that it's still only a 1500w rms sub so control your volume responsibly.

With these testings on the 15" Nightshade, is the Nightshade dual 2 ohms or dual 1 ohm?

if you can, do the test between the 3000D and 3500D in the same configuration ;)

if you can, do the test between the 3000D and 3500D in the same configuration ;)

I'm sure he will :)

There will be a whole new round of testing when I get my pair of saz-3500s in. This time it will be with two subs & two amps showing the difference from a pair of saz-1000s, 1500s, 3000s, and 3500s. I just wish I had a pair of 2000s but that'll come later.

if you can, head to the 3500D in the same configuration of the old test

so as to have a feedback with a single amplifier, compared to the 3000D ;)

I dont know much about amps but what was the max rms at 1ohm with a 2000d? I know they are underrated right?

I dont know much about amps but what was the max rms at 1ohm with a 2000d? I know they are underrated right?

"max rms" makes me giggle. We've seen 2600watts @ 1.1ohms & 12.9v out of the saz-2000d.

"max rms" makes me giggle. We've seen 2600watts @ 1.1ohms & 12.9v out of the saz-2000d.

Sundown .... FTW!

so you're saying that most likely I will be looking at almost 3kw out of these babies at a constant 14.3,14.4? That's sick cause I will be installing a 14.8v 200 amp H/O alty in the car very soon. :)