Doctor Q

My System

Ok so this is probably not the best place to post this but i needed a final "ok" from some people who know their stuff and i know most everyone on here does so that is why im asking. I am ordering my stuff, probably before the 24th since there is a sale on the amp i want, and just wanted to make sure im making the right choice and wont regret anything and that this will work...

This is what im buying:

- 1 Fi Q 15" 2-ohm (im assuming DVC so i cant wire it to 1-0hm?) ($304)

- 1 Sundown Sae-1200D amp wired to 1-ohm ($310)

- Alpine CDA-9886 ($300)

- KLM 1/0 Amp Kit ($53)

- KLMX 1/0 Silver pwr. wire. 10 ft. for the "Big 3" ($18)

- Streetwires 12-gauge speaker wire 25 ft. ($42)

And then the guy at the audio store is making me a custom box. It will basically shorten the depth of my trunk and big one big wall with the sub in the middle and then on the other side when i flip my seats down i can get access to my amp. 2.6 Cu ft. sealed... box is about $300-350

Does this sound good? Is the box a good price? and am i missing anything or should i change any of it? Thanx for the help guys... im looking foward to poppin my "Fi cherry". :Doh:

Should be good to go..doing anything for upgrading mids/tweets?

Should be good to go..doing anything for upgrading mids/tweets?

ummm not yet.. i was but now I AM A get this see how it sounds and if i need to upgrade the rest of my stuff later when i can accumulate some more cash.

You can get the 9887 brand new non refurb for 300 shipped here:

http://www.clarityelectronics.com/Merchant...filiate=froogle

thanx but for two reasons im going with the 9886... one im not using the money to imprint the 87' which is its main feature and two, i can get the 86' from a place that has great CS and gives me the wires and harnesses and everything.

also on a side note. does anyone think i need to do more than just the Big 3. im really tight on money, but then again i want it to work well and if i have to i can spend a lil more to make sure it works.

I really don't think you should pay that much for a sealed box... thats just my two cents....

Look at fisher customs, I'm pretty sure it's cheaper from him/them for a better built box. 300-350 for a sealed "custom" box just is a little too much

I really don't think you should pay that much for a sealed box... thats just my two cents....

Look at fisher customs, I'm pretty sure it's cheaper from him/them for a better built box. 300-350 for a sealed "custom" box just is a little too much

at first i had the same feeling but this isnt just a custom box like the dimensions.. itll be flush with the rest of my trunk and they'll match the carpet almost 100% if not 100%..... it will look kinda like THIS except it will be 1 15" hole.

For $350 (if you shop around diligently) you can score a decent comp set AND a 75-100X2 amp to run em AND the materials to build a simple sealed enclosure (which is all that really is.....it just has a fitted baffle screwed to the front of it). A skill saw, jig saw, measuring tape, screw gun and a pencil are all you have to have to do it. And you'd learn something in the process ;)

As you have it outlined now, you will have a decent amount of bass and stock speakers on h.u. power....no offense but that 's gonna sound just like pure chit. Especially with no deadening either. Do you want something that sounds good, something that is loud, or both?

For $350 (if you shop around diligently) you can score a decent comp set AND a 75-100X2 amp to run em AND the materials to build a simple sealed enclosure (which is all that really is.....it just has a fitted baffle screwed to the front of it). A skill saw, jig saw, measuring tape, screw gun and a pencil are all you have to have to do it. And you'd learn something in the process ;)

As you have it outlined now, you will have a decent amount of bass and stock speakers on h.u. power....no offense but that 's gonna sound just like pure chit. Especially with no deadening either. Do you want something that sounds good, something that is loud, or both?

Both. If i wanted just loud i'd be gettin a BL Ported... also im not sure i have the money right now for speakers.. that is my next upgrade though.. probably this upcoming summer or right before the summer.

right now i really dont have much time or know-how to do anything so ill just stick with the pro's for this install and maybe do the next myself... im going to ask the guy if the price is negotiable.

i ordered all my stuff yesterday :D so now i just sit back and wait... it should all be here by next weekend im hoping so i can install it fri/sat/sun

ill letcha know how it sounds then

I'm having second thoughts about the box... im thinking maybe i should port it... here are my reasons for both:

SEALED:

- accuracy/ tight bss

- might already be loud enough

- save trunk space

- not tear apart my trunk as much lol

PORTED:

- even louder

- i listen to mainly hiphop/rap

- im gettin a custom box already so might as well port it

Im stuck.. a sealed would be 2-2.6 cu. ft. and i was going with a 2.6 and a ported would be 2.8-4 but idk if i could fit a 4 cubic foot box in my trunk and still have enough room for my stuff. btw, its a 99' volvo s70.

Any thoughts? suggestions? ideas? advice????

Ok so this is probably not the best place to post this but i needed a final "ok" from some people who know their stuff and i know most everyone on here does so that is why im asking. I am ordering my stuff, probably before the 24th since there is a sale on the amp i want, and just wanted to make sure im making the right choice and wont regret anything and that this will work...

This is what im buying:

- Alpine CDA-9886 ($300)

- KLM 1/0 Amp Kit ($53)

And then the guy at the audio store is making me a custom box. It will basically shorten the depth of my trunk and big one big wall with the sub in the middle and then on the other side when i flip my seats down i can get access to my amp. 2.6 Cu ft. sealed... box is about $300-350

Does this sound good? Is the box a good price? and am i missing anything or should i change any of it? Thanx for the help guys... im looking foward to poppin my "Fi cherry". :Doh:

I caught it an NONE else did........ really?

If it is a 2ohm DVC, that is dual 2 ohm coils. wired in parallel (sp) it brings it down to 1ohm.

But then he had it right? O_o :Doh:

Edited by bassahaulic

Bro, a sealed box for 300-350$

Omg..

FisherCustoms can do that so much cheaper and you knwo it will be done right..

fishers will do a custom box for about $150 sealed for the size i need... but it wont fit flush to how my trunk looks... it will just be a box right?

This is what im buying:

- Alpine CDA-9886 ($300)

- KLM 1/0 Amp Kit ($53)

I caught it an NONE else did........ really?

If it is a 2ohm DVC, that is dual 2 ohm coils. wired in parallel (sp) it brings it down to 1ohm.

But then he had it right? O_o :Doh:

woah man you scared me haha.

fishers will do a custom box for about $150 sealed for the size i need... but it wont fit flush to how my trunk looks... it will just be a box right?

That $150 is for a "normal" box. But he should be able to do a box like you wanted for less than that other guy.

i like the flush look but it seals all the bass into the trunk. have you thought about having the sub fire into the cabin and have a plexy glass window in the back with lights in it so when you open the trunk it still looks good but you get more bass into the car.

i like the flush look but it seals all the bass into the trunk. have you thought about having the sub fire into the cabin and have a plexy glass window in the back with lights in it so when you open the trunk it still looks good but you get more bass into the car.

two questions..

1) how does it seal all the bass into the trunk any differently than a normal sealed box

2) when u say fire into the cabin i assume u mean like have a port that aims thru the middle armrest thing in the backseats?

What he means is by having the flush baffle it seals all the sound in the trunk. Which means it will rattle all to hell with no deadener and it will be less audible inside the car. You don't have to have a port going inside the car just pointing toward the cabin will make a big difference. This is if you are looking for sound quality. In the SPL circuit then every car is different and it's almost impossible to know what will be louder until you build many boxes. What you have to decide right now is having it flush like that and looking petty more important to you than the performance of the subs? I would also recommend you install a front stage as soon as possible because this is gonna be loud enough you won't hear anything but bass.

so what if i had the sub face the trunk but ported it thru the backseats? would there be less trunk rattle and more sound in the cabin

i want the least amount of rattle and i want a loud system but to still retain good SQ.

how would these options work...

1) sealed with sub facing backseats

2) ported with sub facing trunk and port going thru the backseats

3) ported with both sub and port facing the trunk

Lol. Fisher could make you a box out of water man! (Just playing) He can do anything you want. He got some mad skills.

What state are you in man outta curiosity?

As far as ported vs sealed, what kinda rap are we talking about? I would personally suggest ported unless you listen to some faster rock/electro/ hip hop. Or sealed if you really don't care as much about loudness. Just don't forget ported takes up more room.

What kind of vehicle? What size is your alternator?

As far as position.... I'd say sealed facing ported ONLY if you will have the seats up. If you will have them folded down, face it backwards.

If you go ported.... sub up and port to the side FTW. I'd experimented w/ port and sub back(towards trunk), port and sub forward, and sub up port to the side, and the sub up w/ port facing to the side wins by far. You can fit a much larger box as well.

Edited by nick_19

Lol. Fisher could make you a box out of water man! (Just playing) He can do anything you want. He got some mad skills.

What state are you in man outta curiosity?

As far as ported vs sealed, what kinda rap are we talking about? I would personally suggest ported unless you listen to some faster rock/electro/ hip hop. Or sealed if you really don't care as much about loudness. Just don't forget ported takes up more room.

What kind of vehicle? What size is your alternator?

As far as position.... I'd say sealed facing ported ONLY if you will have the seats up. If you will have them folded down, face it backwards.

If you go ported.... sub up and port to the side FTW. I'd experimented w/ port and sub back(towards trunk), port and sub forward, and sub up port to the side, and the sub up w/ port facing to the side wins by far. You can fit a much larger box as well.

ok one question... what did u mean when u said.."I'd say sealed facing ported ONLY if you will have the seats up." that didnt make any sense to me (sealed facing ported???) but i think ported would be better for my kind of music.. and i have a 1999 Volvo S70 but idk the alternator size...

i just read some more stuff on 15" Fi Q's and i think ill seal it this time and maybe this summer or something port it if im not happy...

so for a sealed box.. how should i set it up to get it as loud as i can will also keeping SQ.. apparently my original plan would keep alot of sound out of the cabin and make the trunk rattle so i dont want that.