ABXX49

Enclosure for Sony Xplode

I got a phone call from my buddy today and he wants me to build an enclosure for his step dad's jeep. The woofer is a 12" Sony Xplode that he used to have in his truck. I have NO experience with this woofer. What would you guys, if you have experience with it, recommend for the airspace for a ported enclosure? I'm not sure on the power, I'm assuming like 300w though.

10kw free air sounds good.

Thanks. Seriously, thank you.

See if you can find specs and get max dimensions.

Found this on sony's website, didn't give a suggestion for ported.

Sealed Enclosure Vol. (Net Lit.): 21.8

Xplod 12

Edited by Bobaflob

I have max dimensions, but I know I won't need them.

xplodes are decent for the money...get surprisingly loud...sound like crap though.

sealed I'd suggest around 1.5 cu ft net. ported between 2.0-3.0 cu ft tuned 35-40Hz

hell, they arent bad for a 60 dollar woofer. they get alright loud, but sound like shit.

xplodes are decent for the money...get surprisingly loud...sound like crap though.

sealed I'd suggest around 1.5 cu ft net. ported between 2.0-3.0 cu ft tuned 35-40Hz

Sonys dont have the mechanical tolerance of nicer woofers- i would suggest 1.5-1.75cuft @38-40hz sub up port back in a jeep.

-Drew

Thanks for the recommendations guys, I think I'm going to give this one a try. Trust me, if it were up to me we'd be running a different woofer.

A few years ago we ran 14 of these in a van. The only way we were able to make them sound decent was putting them in about 2.5 cu ft tuned to 30 hz. I still have one left if want info on the enclosure and port.

A few years ago we ran 14 of these in a van. The only way we were able to make them sound decent was putting them in about 2.5 cu ft tuned to 30 hz. I still have one left if want info on the enclosure and port.

Sure, why not! Thank man.

th_P1000894.jpg

This is the first picture I have tried to post. Hope it works.

Outside dem 25.5"x18"x14"

Port 4"X13.6"

Ideal enclosure for these consists of about 40 feet of dirt mixed with the detritus of our society.

Ideal enclosure for these consists of about 40 feet of dirt mixed with the detritus of our society.

That pretty good.

th_P1000894.jpg

Port 4"X13.6"

Thanks man. I'll post my sketch up rendering later.

Thanks for the thread. A buddy of mine wants me to make him a box with 2 xplod 12's but I was always to embarrassed to post this thread ;)

th_P1000894.jpg

Port 4"X13.6"

Is that a flared port? kind of looks like a hole with polyfill stuffed in it from the picture

th_P1000894.jpg

Port 4"X13.6"

Is that a flared port? kind of looks like a hole with polyfill stuffed in it from the picture

Or an unpainted PVC pipe which has been used as a port...

Thanks for the thread. A buddy of mine wants me to make him a box with 2 xplod 12's but I was always to embarrassed to post this thread ;)

Haha. I TRIED AND TRIED to get him to buy my Sundown SD1 v2's. He would have nothing to do with them though. I also decided to go with a sealed box for space reasons.

th_P1000894.jpg

Port 4"X13.6"

Or an unpainted PVC pipe which has been used as a port...

It is jsut a 4" piece of pvc. We did take a shaper tool and round the edges. I am looking to see if there are any pics of this build.