beyondlogix

What amp for 12" Fi Q?

I have been slowly putting my system together, and I'm about ready to add the mono amp, replace the subwoofer, add sound dampening, and bring my front stage up to full power.

To give you guys an idea of what I'm working with:

H/U - Alpine CDE-9872

Front Stage - CDT ES-620 6.5" Component Speakers, rated 150W RMS @ 4ohm

Rear fills - Stock, connected to H/U, going to stay that way

Amp - TMA T320.4, currently hooked up to the front stage, 60W x 2 @ 4ohm, and the subwoofer on 2 channels total of 120W (will upgrade this amp at a later date, its pretty low-end, even though its made by JL)

Subwoofer - TMA T12S4P, rated at 150W @ 4ohm, currently running at 120W @ 4ohm

The current amp and subwoofer are pretty low end so I'm very ready to upgrade. I will be buying a 12" Fi Q, looking for SQ over SPL. I wanted to get anyone's take on the BP Power option on this speaker; does anyone have this speaker with this option, is it worth getting? Where will I see the greatest difference in sound?

This will be going into a sealed enclosure, 16.5"x16.5", which seems to be the right size according to the Q Enclosure thread.

I have 3 options that I'm deciding between for a mono amp for the Q sub. Anyone had any experience with these?

Audison LRX 1.400 - 900W x 1 @ 1ohm

DLS Ultimate A6 - 1200W x 1 @ 1ohm

Sundown Audio SAZ-1000D - 1000W x 1 @ 1ohm

All different wattage ratings, and I'm not sure which one would best match up with my Fi Q. The Q will do 1000W RMS. Do I want to go with the amp that has the same RMS rating as the sub? Should I go for more wattage and overpower it? I understand that overpowering it can be harmful but would 200W overpowered be OK so long as I keep the gain and bass boost low?

I'm kind of leaning towards the Audison, I've heard they are under rated and can easily do more than their rating. I've also heard that Sundown Audio does some fantastic amps. I'm all ears from those whom might have an opinion, and I'm open to any new suggestions for an amp that I haven't listed. Budget = under $500 for the amp (preferably below $400).

There are a lot of guys running Sundown Audio. Just by how the guys talk on this fourm Sundown seems to be an excelent choice! +++Customer service to!

Yeah, I keep hearing great things about Sundown Audio. What I also want to know though, is it best to underpower the subwoofer, i.e. go with the Audison, or get the exact same power from both amp and woofer with the Sundown, or overpower the sub with something like the DLS? Any more input?

If you plan on running the sub at 1 ohm, I recommend looking into the Audioque 1200D. It's a good SQ oriented amp and will push the sub at it's rated power handling.

It's also a pretty small profile amp.

Check it out.

If you plan on running the sub at 1 ohm, I recommend looking into the Audioque 1200D. It's a good SQ oriented amp and will push the sub at it's rated power handling.

Check it out.

I haven't heard of these before. This looks like a good amp, a bit cheaper than the SAZ-1200D too. Would overpowering the sub by 200W reduce the lifespan of the sub? Can I compensate for the overpowering by reducing the gain? I understand that overpowering can be worse than underpowering the speaker. Is this accurate?

Check it out.

:huh: That is a first. I would consider AQ as cheap power not SQ oriented.

Check it out.

But their stuff is still solid. Also, I REALLY doubt the OP would be able to tell the difference quality wise b/t an AQ/Sundown/Audison & so on.

SUNDOWN - 1000 or 1200. either will work. read up on gain setting/power handling/why speakers blow or fail. its been covered hundreds of times

Check it out.

But their stuff is still solid. Also, I REALLY doubt the OP would be able to tell the difference quality wise b/t an AQ/Sundown/Audison & so on.

By looking at the specs I would put the AQ amps in the same league as hifonics brutus series.

They are rated at 14.4V eww

They put a silly rating on it of 1470@1ohm at 14.4V @ 5% THD <-- :ehh:

Audioque amps are solid and for the price, they are damn hard to beat unless you go used.

It's a lot better than resorting to a Hifonics, at least in my opinion.

By looking at the specs I would put the AQ amps in the same league as hifonics brutus series.

The electrical system in my car rarely fluctuates below 14.4v so this really isn't a problem for me. I sometimes forget people don't upgrade their electrical system.

Check it out.

Ok, consider voltage drop. You'd still get very close to the rated power output of 1200w. Plus they can run @ .5Ω if you need them to. Brutus amps don't touch these. Everyone that I have asked/seen/talked to have great feedback on these amps. They put out rated power.

Edited by kram3r

lol atleast their honest about their ratings ;)

Hifonics doesnt tell you shit.

Ive played with an aq2200 and i like it. wont trade it for the sundown but its damn good for the price.

and does put out rated power

The electrical system in my car rarely fluctuates below 14.4v so this really isn't a problem for me. I sometimes forget people don't upgrade their electrical system.

Exactly why I dont care for 14.4V ratings

Check it out.

Ok, consider voltage drop. You'd still get very close to the rated power output of 1200w. Plus they can run @ .5Ω if you need them to. Brutus amps don't touch these. Everyone that I have asked/seen/talked to have great feedback on these amps. They put out rated power.

By the specs they give I would not buy them.

I do consider voltage drop when their original rating is 1200w @ 1ohm 14.4V 1% THD

Why throw the 5%THD rating in, it seems to me they are trying to fool the customer.

I just know I wont own one nor would I recommend buying one.

Exactly why I dont care for 14.4V ratings

Check it out.

By the specs they give I would not buy them.

I do consider voltage drop when their original rating is 1200w @ 1ohm 14.4V 1% THD

Why throw the 5%THD rating in, it seems to me they are trying to fool the customer.

I just know I wont own one nor would I recommend buying one.

Would you ever own a DD amp? Do consider that they are made at the exact same place.

Would you ever own a DD amp? Do consider that they are made at the exact same place.

What does that have to do with the price of beans?

I think what he's saying is that a lot of amps use the same internal components as other amps yet they have completely different reputations, not because they are different, but because people are stupid.

Edited by goodguy

just throwing it out there i know a lot of people hate ED but i was running a eD nINE.1 for like 2 years and i couldnt have been happierright about 1000 at 2 ohm...my 2 cents

You said you would not buy them b/c you believed they were trying to fool the costumer & how they test their amps. DD rates theirs the exact same way & are made at the same place.

So I simply asked, would you ever own/recommend a DD m1a amp? If so, why not an AQ amp which is practically the same thing w/ diff logo?

You said you would not buy them b/c you believed they were trying to fool the costumer & how they test their amps. DD rates theirs the exact same way & are made at the same place.

So I simply asked, would you ever own/recommend a DD m1a amp? If so, why not an AQ amp which is practically the same thing w/ diff logo?

Every amp I have owned and own has a 12.5V rating on it. I'd even consider a 13.8V rating but not 14.4V.

Every amp I have owned and own has a 12.5V rating on it. I'd even consider a 13.8V rating but not 14.4V.

lol. ok

That's a pretty stupid reason IMO to base an entire amplifier line off of its voltage testing & not take chit loads of other people's feedback on it, but w/e.

Ask ANYONE it puts out its rated wattage & more.

Edited by kram3r

lol. ok

That's a pretty stupid reason IMO to base an entire amplifier line off of its voltage testing & not take chit loads of other people's feedback on it, but w/e.

I dont only base my decisions on specs there is feedback also. I do more research on one product I purchase then most people do on 10 products that they purchase

My question is how do you know what those people tested with, that say it puts out rated? Do they hook it up and set the gains with a DMM and if it works they say it puts out rated? Or do they set the gains with a O-scope, clamp meter, and DMM, to measure power and make sure the amp isnt clipping.

Edited by bromo

lol. ok

I dont only base my decisions on specs there is feedback also. I do more research on one product I purchase then most people do on 10 products that they purchase

My question is how do you know what those people tested with, that say it puts out rated? Do they hook it up and set the gains with a DMM and if it works they say it puts out rated? Or do they set the gains with a O-scope, clamp meter, and DMM, to measure power and make sure the amp isnt clipping.

Well first, the amp has a clipping light on the bass knob to warn you when it's clipping. Well when I get about 20-30ppl telling me that they are great amps w/ rated power, I'm sure some of them have set theirs up either way. Then, I look at their electrical and it is not anything overly large.