Sign in to follow this  
1nigger

need advice on buying a home theather system

ok guys i need advice on buying a home theater system i have 4 wall spots for speakers and i want to do a sub and a reciever

i dont know where to look for any of the home audio stuff but thats why im askin everyone on here

any input would be awesome

Are you going to buy and make your own speakers or buy prebuilt stuff? Or another good option for you would be to go to partsexpress.com and look at their kits. All of the speakers, crossovers, and wood for the box are included, you just have to put it together.

Are you going to buy and make your own speakers or buy prebuilt stuff? Or another good option for you would be to go to partsexpress.com and look at their kits. All of the speakers, crossovers, and wood for the box are included, you just have to put it together.

im thinkin about prebuilt because that would be easiest for me to buy, i know a fair amount about car audio but the home audio i havent ever looked at until now and im on a $600 budget i just got a 62" lcd samsung and now i need the theater sound

What kind of budget are you looking at?

around $600 but im sure i can come up with some extra money if i can get better equipment

I take it that $600 includes a receiver, speakers (4 of them, right), sub, and sub amp?

For the sub and sub amp, are you thinking of building your own box and just finding a sub to go into it and then adding a plate amp?

If it was me I would find a descent 5.1 reciever (like a Denon) then really focus on the fronts, then the subs, then pic something low budget for the rears when you get the cash.

Zaph Audio is a great place to look for good speaker ideas.

I take it that $600 includes a receiver, speakers (4 of them, right), sub, and sub amp?

For the sub and sub amp, are you thinking of building your own box and just finding a sub to go into it and then adding a plate amp?

yea i was thinking $600 should cover a reciever 4 speakers or tweeters and a sub and sub amp. i am able to build a box if i need to

im not sure what a plate amp is im new to the home audio

If it was me I would find a descent 5.1 reciever (like a Denon) then really focus on the fronts, then the subs, then pic something low budget for the rears when you get the cash.

Zaph Audio is a great place to look for good speaker ideas.

ok would tweets work as speakers or should i get actual speakers like 4x6s ? im not sure what to do

i just want it to sound good with movies and music and everyone on here knows alot and im sure you guys can help me out

ahh you should have posted this sooner... I just sold all my nearly new ht stuff on ebay dirt cheap..

Home theater speaker building is easy; however, it's pretty cashy..

I've got two dual 6" towers each with a 1 1/8" tweet that I built using dayton woofer and they sound GREAT however it was close to $300 for the two cabinets once they were done.

PE sells some 4" dayton coaxils that do decent for rear surround.. they almost a "full range" like 65hz-18khz (don't quote me I think that's what they are) they like 20 each for the speaker...

wall spots you mean like a place to put a speaker or an actual in wall speaker?

well 4 square holes in the walls with wires all ran to the same place so i can hook up the speakers

depends...are you looking to do like a in box all together package or piecing one together yourself?

well either i would rather it sound good and i could piece it all together but the easy way out is buy the package all together but i think i can make it sound better buying actual speakers

ahh you should have posted this sooner... I just sold all my nearly new ht stuff on ebay dirt cheap..

Home theater speaker building is easy; however, it's pretty cashy..

I've got two dual 6" towers each with a 1 1/8" tweet that I built using dayton woofer and they sound GREAT however it was close to $300 for the two cabinets once they were done.

PE sells some 4" dayton coaxils that do decent for rear surround.. they almost a "full range" like 65hz-18khz (don't quote me I think that's what they are) they like 20 each for the speaker...

do you think i could get some good equipment used on ebay for a decent price? i dont want to buy used but if it were someone off ssa i would consider buying anyones equipment on here

i usually just read everyones posting but i dont really get in to the convos cause im still the new guy on here

i was eyeballin these the other day

http://stores.ebay.com/CADENCE-DIRECT_Home...1QQftidZ2QQtZkm

for a sub really depends on how much you can spend, i would buy a plate or rack amp from PE and a sub to match then get someone to build you a box if you cant, same with receiver, get the best one you can, used is fine, I got a Yamaha a few years old for like $40. Guess it depends how man hdmi inputs you need and if you want on screen

i was eyeballin these the other day

http://stores.ebay.com/CADENCE-DIRECT_Home...1QQftidZ2QQtZkm

for a sub really depends on how much you can spend, i would buy a plate or rack amp from PE and a sub to match then get someone to build you a box if you cant, same with receiver, get the best one you can, used is fine, I got a Yamaha a few years old for like $40. Guess it depends how man hdmi inputs you need and if you want on screen

could i get a self powered home subwoofer?

are there any certain brands of recievers i should stay away from?

building a sub is gonna be the best for your money, with buying speakers and a receiver youw ont have much left. Just abot any name brand receiver is going to be ok.

http://audiogon.com/

good place to find quality used equipment and some deals. I have been using the denon avr-687 in my budget systems because it's about $150 and can process dolby digital and dts on coax or optical inputs. they won't process the lossless hd audio formats but nothing for under $300 will right now.

so would tower speakers have some bass to them and then i could do wall speakers or shelve speakers?

i doubt you'll find towers that will have a good response below 30hz, where most of the low notes in movies tend to rumble. i use a velodyne dls-r 3750, and have used many cheaper and more expensive powered subs. for the money the velodyne dls has been a favorite of my ears.

Would recommend you read infos on AVguide.com so you know what you need, and what to choose in case you upgrade some comps l8er on.

Hope that helps,

Kelvin

Would recommend you read infos on AVguide.com so you know what you need, and what to choose in case you upgrade some comps l8er on.

Hope that helps,

Kelvin

alright thanks kelvin ill be checkin this out and i should be buying some stuff soon still not completly sure yet tho

Onkyo HT-S5100, amazing 7.1 home theater system, wood finish with gloss trim, huge sub, just search on amazon and read the reviews, i have it and love it 134%