nem

Acoustic damping

I am looking for the best price per square foot.

I am covering a large area and don't want to put a lot of money into damping.

I am looking for the best price per square foot.

I am covering a large area and don't want to put a lot of money into damping.

What is this large area you speak of Neal?

I am building a room for the haunt 10'x14'. I am going to be running all 16 of my 12's and want to keep the sound isolated as much as possible.

Peal and Seal is cheap.

Also, you can get Rammat for a fair price.

But Second Skin, is by far the best I've used.

What is peal and seal?

Anybody used R-Blox sound deading?

Peel n Seal is not for home use.

edit: well... not for interior use

I was chcking this stuff out and people are saying when it get warm out it melts. I know Second Skin is great stuff, but am covering a very large area and looking for suggestions.

Don't cut corners here with product that isn't made for the car. Second Skin's prices are competitive when compared to others. Superior quality as well. Save money if you need and don't rush it.

He's not looking for car dampening guys. He wants a theatre based solution.

You need to start off with fiberglass insulation or Rockwool in the walls. There's a board at home depot that has the same dimensions as most drywall, but it's made up of a peatmoss material. Add a layer of that around the walls of the room and cover with drywall.

After you get all that done, you can address the ceiling. If you have an attic, blown in insulation is going to be the cheapest solution.

Back to the walls. You can tune the room by hanging acoustical paneling and foam in certain areas. Corners can be bad bass traps at times and you want to distribute that sound. The back of the room needs treatment to kill reflected sound.

He's not looking for car dampening guys. He wants a theatre based solution.

You need to start off with fiberglass insulation or Rockwool in the walls. There's a board at home depot that has the same dimensions as most drywall, but it's made up of a peatmoss material. Add a layer of that around the walls of the room and cover with drywall.

After you get all that done, you can address the ceiling. If you have an attic, blown in insulation is going to be the cheapest solution.

Back to the walls. You can tune the room by hanging acoustical paneling and foam in certain areas. Corners can be bad bass traps at times and you want to distribute that sound. The back of the room needs treatment to kill reflected sound.

Thanks for the information. I am going to end up useing insulation and the peatmoss board. This is going to be attached to plywood walls. Reason we use plywood is ease of set up and tear down.

Play with the density of the fiberglass insulation too. You may be able to get away with less.

Thanks. I am going to be checking that out also. I have to stay withing the budget set for our haunt that is why I was looking for ideas. Thanks again.

It's not the same stuff, but that stuff does work quite well. I've mostly seen it used in positional barriers. Meaning it would have a solid wood back and be covered in some acoustically transparent fabric. Panels 4x4' or smaller position how you want in your room to fit your needs.

You can always do like Terence Howard in Hustle and Flow and use drink holders from McDonalds. ha.

for the fiber, there is a rating on how well it converts sound into heat called sabins, i think. but i remember that either the wool fiber or mineral fiber was best. just dont go grabbin for the pink stuff!

You can always do like Terence Howard in Hustle and Flow and use drink holders from McDonalds. ha.

$$$ wise the best way to go :wacky: lol

Thanks for all of the info. I am going to be heading to St. Louis in March (haunt convention) and after I return we are going to get this haunt inprogress. With the info you all have provided I am thinking that acousticly it should sound good whaen I am finished. If you are interested I can post pics of the Haunt inprogress.

Also when I travel for the Haunt World I promote the audio products on this forum. There are a lot of people out there that enjoy great sounding speakers and espically like IA because of the logo.

I am building a room for the haunt 10'x14'. I am going to be running all 16 of my 12's and want to keep the sound isolated as much as possible.

Since you mention 16 woofers, and wanting to isolate sound, ill give you my little two cents worth...

In my experience and opinion you do not want to use a sound deadener that has a thermal acoustic principle behind its design(EX: Vibes to heat). This will rob you of your sound potential because its converting the sonic energy into heat.

What you probably want to do is attempt to make the room as HEAVY and RIDGED as possible. What i did with my IB theater room was 2 layers for 3/4 MDF, a layer of acoustic board, and then drywall. This may be overkill for you, but the stiffer the wall, the less it will move, and the less energy it will rob. The heavier the wall, the more energy required to move through the wall, so even less sound leakage.

JMHO.

You need isolation. This is normally done with multiple layers of sheet rock, an air gap, then more layers of sheet rock and repeat as much as possible. Adding a Vinyl barrier and aluminum barrier will help as well. If you get real nuts you can also use acoustic wedges in the room :P

I can not do multiple layers because ofter each season we teardown and store (weight is an issue). So I am currently going to use insulation and the peatmoss material. Thanks again for all of the information.

You need a barrier layer, not something made for absorbing reflections. Without it, don't expect huge results.

What would you advise for the best price and weight?

Describe the installation more, it is really hard to go on with just $/weight

Describe the installation more, it is really hard to go on with just $/weight

Our Haunt is a maze, as you are walking from room to room there are various scares. The maze is made up of plywood and 2x4's all painted black with fire resistant paint. This room is going to be a hot box with low bass notes with a total size of 10' wide x 14' long. I am just rying to isolate a good portion of the low end sound. The entire haunt has a back ground noise of thunder, lightning, and rain. My main reason for wanting to isolate the sound better this year is, depending on where you are in the maze the sound can be very loud. This is not good for our actors, because by the end of the night they can't hear.