tru483

SQ in a Dakota Quad Cab

I'm eye'n just one Fi Q12 in a sealed box w/ ppi d2000/1 on top of a 5 farad cap. Back seats are 60/40 split, so I'm taking out the smaller seat and mounting everything there. Vehicle is a quad cab 2003 Dakota. I had a system in a trunk before but not something like this. I know it's going to be louder because of the whole cab thing, but what am I really getting into here? Am I going to be disappointed only pushing 1175 watts to a single sub? Can this sub handle a bigger amp, and if so, how much bigger? I wanted to go SQ since I listen to a little of everything, mainly rap though.

Questions? Feedback? I wanna build this system right the first time.

Oh, btw, am gutting the whole interior and dynamatting everything.

Depends on what you mean by disappointed, 1175 watts is just fine if not way overboard if you are actually looking for a SQ system, I push 600 watts to a sealed Q10 and it is plenty loud for me. There is no need to go to a bigger amp, but the sub could handle more, but you would have to have BP option, gains set right, clean power,etc...but again there is no need unless you just want it louder and if you want louder well there are other FI subs for that.

As far as sound quality goes, as long as it is in a correct enclosure it keeps up with even the most technical bass and it stays fairly flat along the frequency's.

Overall, I would tell you, you are fine with your amp, might consider the BP option just to be safe and it might still be free too, build the right sized box and you will be more than happy with the results.

If you really want a "SQ" setup, you would worry more about the front stage.

Get some components, and a Sundown Audio SAX-100.4, they are amazing and they have crossovers for each channel.

BP Power? I saw the option for it, but unclear on what it is. I chose a PPI amp based off their reputation for being a top of the line amp. What other amp mfg's are ranked top of the line that are 1 ohm stable?

Kicker, Rockford Fosgate, Sundown, ZED.

You can't go wrong with any one of these.

What is BP power option, though?

Adds 300-500 watts power handling I think? Check the stickies in the Fi section for answers on all the add ons.

I would suggest dropping the CAP, and doing the BIG3 instead. :)

So, with the BP power option, it'd be cool to grab a 1500-1600 watt 1 ohm stable amp to power the Q12.... considering the efficiency of an amp at 1 ohm.....75 per cent at best. 1125 watts would be pushed, correct?

Someone has been reading 12volt a little to much. And not taking in consideration voltage drop, imp rise, gain levels, and other factors.

:ninja:

lol I have been checking 12volt off and on. Already planned on upgrading the BIG3 and also looking into a 200 amp alt. - wanted the gain turned all the way down as well. Imp rise? please explain.

yeah RF FTMFW, I know I know. Also looking at mmats amps, hifonics, and precision power (ppi). Can't seem to make up my mind on which I want to get. Had a kicker back in the day and loved it. But that was with two 12" CVR's as well only pushing 400 per sub.

Just did a lil research into imp rise. Found the article from this forum on imp rise. Deep chit. Now I really have to take into consideration the box design (it's still gonna be sealed) among other things. Considering this is my first thoroughly thought out system, guess i'm gonna be doing some reading.

The sealed box was going to be 15" w - 15" h - 16" d totaling 1.53 cu ft, subtract the 0.16 disp. from the sub and ya get 1.37 total.

What kind of specs should I be looking for in an amp then for optimal output?

Also planned on getting a 5 farad cap buuut since i'm upgrading the electrical on the truck there is no need :bigclap: