nick_19

Subwoofer/port placement in trunk

Ok so I have basic knowledge of rear/front waves and all that mess.

My basic question is this: I have a subwoofer enclosure with the port firing to the side and the sub firing upward. Theoretically, which way should I "point" the port to get the loudest result? I can fire it in four different ways

portdirectionpic.jpg

You can look at this vid to get a good idea of how much room it has etc.

So to get the least amount of canceling or whatever, what do y'all think? I will probably test all four different ways on the TL, but I am just wondering what your theories are... Thanks!

PS - pic is as though you were looking down on the car. The red square is the TL mic.

Edited by nick_19

Every time I have ever tested this (well almost every time) sub back port back in a car without folding seats as long as ample room is between the trunk and the port has always provided the best results.

oddly enough, based on a sealed box during testing, the woofer performed best in my G35 facing upwards and was louder with the seats up than it was with them folded down.

in my BMW, it was much louder facing back, and with the seats open

The only thing i can attribute this to would be that i could attribute this to would be the fact that the box was all the way against the back of the seat in the G and the trunk is long, as opposed to the BMW which had what seemed to be a shorter but higher trunk. The woofer was only a few inches away from the rear deck in the G

Get a TL and do some testing...... that is the only real way to tell.

Yeah... guess I will have to. Got a TL. Just need the whole time part.

You don't need a TL to test, anything that measures will give you relative results as long as you keep it in the same configuration.

im pretty sure he has a TL anyhow...

i was gonna buy it but he was fast on the draw:P

Every time I have ever tested this (well almost every time) sub back port back in a car without folding seats as long as ample room is between the trunk and the port has always provided the best results.

for cars with folding seats, which is best?

There is no standard "best" all application, box size, location, and car dependent. If there were a "best" there would be no need for competitions.

There is no standard "best" all application, box size, location, and car dependent. If there were a "best" there would be no need for competitions.

good point. thanx

Gah forgot bout this. I'll be home in 10 days. I'll test it out and tell y'all the results. Sorry...

wow I know this is an old thread, but did you ever test it? from what I've seen, doing subs and port forward into cabin with everything sealed off is the loudest, then second is sub back port back with as much room for air to move forward into the cabin as possible.

You have time to be posting on here. You have time to test on the TL. Im curious to see what you come up with. :popcorn:

i got best output with subs box at the back of the trunk with the subs and port firing to the back, like right up on the back of the trunk. i tried different ways but i would loose output in some of the frequency spectrum. one i didnt try was sub up port back i heard that provides good output as well. it works in suvs so ya.

i got best output with subs box at the back of the trunk with the subs and port firing to the back, like right up on the back of the trunk. i tried different ways but i would loose output in some of the frequency spectrum. one i didnt try was sub up port back i heard that provides good output as well. it works in suvs so ya.

No. You should go and re-read my last post in this thread :(

i agree sub back port back is optima, but i just haven tried sub up port back.

NO, again. :( You didn't read my post. That is NOT what I said.

NO, again. :( You didn't read my post. That is NOT what I said.

ok i got u know.. ya lol

Old thread. So old that the pic isn't even there anymore. Well I did do the testing, albeit I did not write down the results. I will re do the test in the coming days. However, the qualitative conclusion from the TL metering is that, in my application, sub up, port firing in the rear of the trunk towards the drivers side wall of the car (the first drawing on the left) was the loudest, and had the lowest peak frequency. My bad for not posting results for... 1.5 years. However! I will redo this test and come back with quantitative answers. I'll even redraw the picture real quick....

portdirectionpic.jpg

Edit: The reason I am using this box design is because it allows me to have boxes with MUCH larger volumes (over 6 cubes gross in a trunk with the ability to remove the box anytime) for my boxes as opposed to sub and port in the same direction. The reason is that my box depth is limited when I have to build the box tall enough to mount a sub on a vertical wall. This way I make flatter boxes with a square top and bottom (current box is 33x33x12). In this way, I could even fit.... oh no. I may want to try to fit an 18 back there now (rushes off to Excel).

Edited by nick_19