Sign in to follow this  
billystorms24

Quad Stacked Magnet

Hey guys im just wondering are there any quad stacked magnet subs out there? Im just curious and im sure other people are too.

is there a reason y other companies dont do 4 slugs?

I would have to dig up some research, but i'm pretty sure scott from Fi would do a much better job explaining why slugs don't = power, just look at the btl's.

is there a reason y other companies dont do 4 slugs?

I would have to dig up some research, but i'm pretty sure scott from Fi would do a much better job explaining why slugs don't = power, just look at the btl's.

GREAT POINT!

There's no real point to having 4 slugs. It would look cool but have no functionality. Scott has shown that 1 slug is all we need. Could you imagine a BTL 18 with 4 slugs? They're heavy anyway.

Rusty said the Lvl 12 has 5 slugs. ;)

the coil and cooling determine thermal handling. the box and mms and spider stiffness determine mechaninical. there are other things just didnt list them. tons off power doesnt even mean loud though. just because a magnet is large doesnt mean it is powerful either. there is a y rating on the magnets. the more powerful the magnet the less it handles heat and same applies the other way. the most important thing to remember about getting loud is it takes a quality install more so than equipment choice.

thanks guys. so can some one tell me why more slugs doesn't mean more power handling?

The number of magnet slugs in many cases don't mean much. I have read about some drivers that have a dummy extra slug because it is cheaper then doing a taller back plate in some cases. Other drivers have a taller, or in other words more slugs, motor stack because most of the time smaller OD slugs in multiples are cheaper then less much larger OD slugs. The upcoming Xcon has a single massive slug, the old Avalanches I believe had a single slug along with the Atlas, and most notably is the monster slug on the new BTL. There is a write up on here, have to search for it, about the magnet flux of a speaker motor.

thanks guys. so can some one tell me why more slugs doesn't mean more power handling?

The number of magnet slugs in many cases don't mean much. I have read about some drivers that have a dummy extra slug because it is cheaper then doing a taller back plate in some cases. Other drivers have a taller, or in other words more slugs, motor stack because most of the time smaller OD slugs in multiples are cheaper then less much larger OD slugs. The upcoming Xcon has a single massive slug, the old Avalanches I believe had a single slug along with the Atlas, and most notably is the monster slug on the new BTL. There is a write up on here, have to search for it, about the magnet flux of a speaker motor.

ah, thanks for clearing it up

There's hardly a reason to go with 4 or more slugs, most subs don't need more than one. But people think that 3 or 4 means a better sub, so the companies put it in. It can be a marketing thing. Or a cost thing, as Denim pointed out.

I think Memphis made a Quad stacked Quad voice coil sub at one time.......

But they also made a dual basket sub as well, so that should show what influences their designs sometimes.

But they also made a dual basket sub as well, so that should show what influences their designs sometimes.

Duel basket? What would be the advantage to that?

Even triple basket subs :lol:

One thing a double basket sub could be useful is to prevent spider deflection by having 2 spiders spaced far apart.

One thing a double basket sub could be useful is to prevent spider deflection by having 2 spiders spaced far apart.

M3Memphis.jpg like that one lol

Edited by wetapoo

I think the point is mostly that the number of slugs is irrelevant. We can take about how tall the stack is or how wide, but using the number of slugs stacked tells us nothing at all.

The most important thing about the magnets is that they saturate the steel with flux. You can use stacked magnets to gain more clearance (which is easier from a production standpoint), but all that really matters is that the magnets saturate the steel that your project requires.

oops you're right, it was triple basket, not double. If you're going to overdo something, I guess overdo it by a lot!

The most important thing about the magnets is that they saturate the steel with flux. You can use stacked magnets to gain more clearance (which is easier from a production standpoint), but all that really matters is that the magnets saturate the steel that your project requires.

Nuff said :D

I would be curious to see the write-up about motor design and flux densities etc. I'll try to find it.

Edited by mpimm