CadillacMatt

I cut two fingertips off today

Well, earlier this morning I had a mishap with the table saw and it ate the tips off my index and middle finger of my right hand... I was cutting aluminum angles and even had someone there to help me out, but the saw reverse-fed on me and dragged my fingers through the blade... good thing it was brand new, because it cut cleanly and didn't pull my hand into it. I had no time to react it all happened so fast...

I am usually the one who warns people of proper form and technique on this tool, but accidents do happen... please always be careful.

The surgeon pulled the remaining skin together as best he could, and sutured it together. The wounds are still very much open so I must wear and change out silicone tubes on my fingers to keep the area covered up as best as possible. I have Darvocet and Tramadol to manage the pain

Here are some pictures for the non-squeamish

***WARNING: GRAPHIC IMAGES - YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED***

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj215/C...95/SSPX0035.jpg

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj215/C...95/SSPX0034.jpg

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj215/C...95/SSPX0033.jpg

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj215/C...95/SSPX0032.jpg

lol..nasty!!!

glad you're ok, and that it wasn't worse then it was. man, your fingertips will be sensitive as hell in the coming weeks, and you'll bump them into everything! at least mine was.

thanks for sharing. maybe someone will learn from your accident.

damn..lol...sorry. can't help but laugh. those pics are nasty and..just damn....

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

damn thats nasty!

reminds me of my grandpa who was missing the tips off a couple of fingers from a lawnmower...

Even the most careful people can have mishaps, Glad to hear you will be ok.

And remember kids, don't play with powertools.

god damn it matt... that happen at work im sure...

i hate cutting stuff like that....

i got my self with a wheel grinder last summer working on my car.. right on my index knuckel it sucked.. nothing like your mishap.

im happy that i was not worse.. it could have simply got you much worse..

again man sorry it happend to you.

WOW!! glad it wasn't worse

damn did some damage to those...i've seen a kid when i was in school acuttly cut his finger tips off where he was missing some finger after words...lol

Man, did you type this post with one hand? Not bad. . . :D

Sorry to hear about the fingers. I stuck two of mine in my drag truck's aluminum fan blade. Looked about like yours, but went down the sides just past the first joint.

Painful and feels funny to touch anything with them for a long time after the cuts heal!

Man, did you type this post with one hand? Not bad. . . :D

My right ring finger and pinky are naturally taking the place of my index and middle, so I can still type and write fairly good believe it or not!!

Thanks for the replies guys. Changing the dressings makes me lightheaded, just seeing a body part of yours in a condition like that is enough to turn the hardest of stomachs over... hurts like hell. But the saw blade was only sticking up about 1/2" so that's what probably saved my ass (or my fingers!)

Doc gave me some Darvocet and Tramadol, the trams don't do much for me so I'm going to take a Darv and see if I can go to work for a little while today. Got a follow up appointment in 10 days. The doc also told me I was lucky, as he has people come into his office ever so often with their fingers in ziploc ice baggies!

I'll keep you all updated.

Edited by CadillacMatt

Been there before too. At least you you still have the finger nails, skin will grow back. Just keep it clean!!

Been there before too. At least you you still have the finger nails, skin will grow back. Just keep it clean!!

Yeah they gave me these silicone tube things to keep them moist, she told me to change them out and wash them 2-3 times a day. I guess they're not supposed to get any fresh air yet?

worse i've seen was my grandfather who wacked off his middle and ring finger down to the middle knuckle 1/16th of an inch at a time in a joiner. was nothing left but skin.

keep em clean, avoid hitting anything with them as no amount of meds short of pure morphine will keep them from hurting, and you should be fine. getting the stitches pulled around the very tip will be painful, lol, even made me cry.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

keep em clean, avoid hitting anything with them as no amount of meds short of pure morphine will keep them from hurting, and you should be fine. getting the stitches pulled around the very tip will be painful, lol, even made me cry.

Yeah, even after he stabbed my hand about 5-6 times and pumped it full of lidocaine I could still feel a few of the sutures he was putting in... I have a pretty good tolerance for pain but that ish did kinda sting lol

Time to tell your boss to invest in the Saw Stop. You woulda been fine had you had that.

I was telling them about that thing... very cool device.

However, I work in a small aircraft composities business who has trouble making payroll on time, let alone investing in some equipment like that... the saw is dangerous anyhow. The table is chipped and splintered in many places which will cause your material to catch. I knew that thing was a disaster waiting to happen.

ouch! that sucks At least you go to keep you finger I know someone that only has 2 full fingers on one hand.... Hope you have a speedy recovery. You might want to keep your hand in a sling so you r not hitting it ALL THE TIME. Heart part = hitting on every thing Good luck get well soon

Wow Matt. I am sorry you got hurt, and I really hope you heal up fast. Maybe this can be a painful reminder to everyone else to be extra careful !!!!!

Im glad to hear you didn't lose any fingers. Get well soon! :drink40:

I am sure glad photobucket is blocked here at work! :D