Sign in to follow this  
wisemankw

Enclosure Placement Question

Already posted this question in a different section, but this is my first post so give me a break :Doh:

The trunk of my car( 1999 Pontiac Bonneville SSEI) has opening that connects the trunk with the inside cabin of the car. I was wondering if facing the port towards this opening instead of towards the rear of the car would increase SPL or hurt it. Will the air be pushed into the cabin of the car or will it just be trapped in the trunk bouncing around on it self.

I will prob end up leaving a gap of about 3" - 5" between the enclosure and the actual opening because the trunk gets narrow towards the back. Would I have to place the port directly in front of the opening or would having the port on one side of the box facing the front of the car matter?

Below is a pic of the actual trunk of a Pontiac Bonneville.

PontiacBonnevilleSSEITrunk.jpg

are you competing?

Welcome to SSA. In reality, we cannot give you the answer. The best way to figure out the best result is through testing the different directions.

I would probably go to competitions if I found one close, but competing isn't my goal. I just want it to sound loud and wondered if it would make any difference. With the enclosure dimensions I have in mind the box would be pretty close to the back side of my trunk. I read in more than one place that you need some space in between the port opening and your trunk. The best way for me to accomplish that would be to face the port towards the front of the car, but I was worried about negative side effects of doing so.