Sign in to follow this  
ackslaxrichard

15" q does not play as low as it used to

Ok so I turned the subsonic down too low on my amp where it should be at 25 for the q and now it still plays the mids and highs just as it used to but something weird happened to the lows..the sub just won't get close to as low as it had been playing

I hope there is some way to fix this...I put it back on 25 and its still not nearly as good as before

well thats what im guessing happened but can it be fixed without sending it in to fi?...i don't know what part of the sub is that would need to be fixed

have you taken the sub out of the box and looked for anything out of the ordinary on the sub, ripped spiders,etc?

I havent done that yet cause its already dark outside so ill do that tomorrow...but does anyone know what part of the sub produces the low notes in the Q

if the woofer is still playing, it's still playin, everything still ok with the box?

if the woofer is still playing, it's still playin, everything still ok with the box?

ya its still playing but idk if u have a q or not but the lows are amazing and now the lows are just average or below average even...oh and the box is also fine

Edited by Richie25

Did you make changes in your eq setting or bass tone control setting?

those would be settings on the HU right? My bass setting is up about halfway on the HU

not the level, he's talking about the EQ portion, do you have any sort of equalizer or processor running in your system or built into the HU?

(have had one Q 15 in a 5cube box at 28hz, and presently two of them in a 7.2 tuned to 32.5hz, so yeh I know how they play) THEY WANG!! lol

sounds to me like it could be possible you tore a spider, and when the woofer isn't moving much on the higher notes it would be ok, but on the lower notes, when it is moving more, nothing attached to actually make it move, only thing is, you would notice a "slapping" sound, and from what you are describing it just plain is not playing the lows.

have you moved your box's location or anything to change the phase? or have you accidentally changed the phase setting on the amp/processor?

actually it has been making sort of a slapping noise since i got it but i had never heard a sub that plays so low and it was so nice other than that so i thought that was how it played the lows

Im hoping a Fi member can help me out here...since you build the subs..u hopefully know what is wrong

The slapping is not extremely noticeable, but it has noticeable slaps when a low note is playing and the note stops when i switch the song...as the note stops playing it makes some slapping sounds (sorry if thats confusing)

Edited by Richie25

The slapping noise you are hearing is the speaker unloading because you are playing below tuning frequency..

Don't do that, you are going to break it.

As far as why it isn't as loud? No clue, your hearing is either suffering, or you've partially damaged it from playing chopped and screwed music too loud.

As far as why it isn't as loud? No clue, your hearing is either suffering, or you've partially damaged your brain from playing chopped and screwed music too loud.

:bigclap:

it actually works fine now i changed all the settings to what they should be but I think it might have been my amp going into safety mode(if thats what its called) when it gets too hot and plays the sub a bit quieter but it is noticeable...as long as i dont play it for long periods of time it performs perfectly now

Sign in to follow this