i have a 12in SSD, hifonics 1208d amp (i know, i know). i have the hu settings as follows: sub level 10 out of 15. bass on 0 (-7/+7). then on the amp the bass eq is set around halfway, and the subsonic is set around 27-28 i believe. when i have the gains about 3/4's and the volume around 20/35, i start smelling WOOD. im like 95% sure its wood, and not glue from the sub. but i haven't heard of anyone else say anything about this. am i just a noob or what? im afraid to turn mine up cause of this.

also, how much of an effect does all this have on the battery and alt? i have all stock wiring and plan to do big 3, just haven't got the money yet. i baby it most of the time. if anyone can give me any help that would be awesome! thanks guys!

So did you just turn the knobs to where you thought they should be? Or did you use a tutorial to set the gain properly?

i had a company that does car audio install and tune everything. they did all that. i DEFF put this in the wrong section. SORRY!

basically i would just like to know if i should make changes to the tuning and if so what. also if im ok to turn it up and really listen to it.

Edited by casedawg350

yeah i've read that 2 other times.

my question is if its normal to smell what i think is wood from the box, and also if that has anything to do with clippings, and if my settings on the hu/amp other then the gains are ok, or if i need to change them.

Edited by casedawg350

Not normal to smell anything. Reset everything based on the tutorial and then see if it still happens.

i believe your smelling the coils not wood

your doing too much heat :huh2:

Assuming it is a freshly built ported box and you didn't clean it out well after building it, it could just be sawdust blowing out of the port.

alright thanks guys. i just was confused cause i have smelled glue before and it didnt smell like glue, it smelled like wood.

If the box is just made then youll smell it. or if their's resin or fiberglass in it.

well i was gonna say the voice coils are getting hot!! but new boxes have a smell especially when you start bumpin, nothing to worry about!

i've had the box for almost a month now. should i still smell it?

how much of an effect would you guys think my set-up is having on my alt and battery? i keep it between 15-20. i plan on doing big 3 as soon as possible, but until then, should i baby it more or what?

are your headlights dimming or voltage dropping bad? if not you will be OK but defiantly do the big 3 anyways

Take the subs out and check for sawdust. I took out my subs this week and found dust all over the subs. I took a damp cloth to the inside of the box and wiped as much of the dust as I could get out. Take something to blow the dust off the sub as well. Hope that helps with part of the problem.

Edited by chicagofan

how often do you listen to it over 20? big 3 will help, a different battery under the hood would be good too. i don't think you need a new alt.

how often do you listen to it over 20? big 3 will help, a different battery under the hood would be good too. i don't think you need a new alt.

NEVER! because i dont wanna ruin on my alt or drain the battery.

as long as you dont listen to it full tilt for long periods of time you will be fine.

alright cool! thanks. im takin everything out tomorrow and gonna redo all the settings and see what happens. ill let all you guys know.

btw what part of Indiana are you in?

Edited by casedawg350