Sign in to follow this  
Mark LaFountain

Down Time

sorry for the down time, for some reason our entire data base had been deleted, we are not sure whether we where hacked or our host had done something that they're not fessing up too or what, either way we have uploaded our most recent back up of March 7, 2009.

Sorry for the inconvienence!

SSA STAFF!

Was bored this whole weekend with out SSA..

I was stressed. Some one actaully hacked out site and deleted the whole Data Base, good thing we keep such great backups ourselves...other wise the forum would cease to be... :Doh:

I was stressed. Some one actaully hacked out site and deleted the whole Data Base, good think we keep such great backups ourselves...other wise the forum would cease to be... :Doh:

Yeah for sure..

This is the best forum I think.

X2

Even though I was busy working on my IA and SSA Boxes.

I was stressed. Some one actaully hacked out site and deleted the whole Data Base, good think we keep such great backups ourselves...other wise the forum would cease to be... :Doh:

Dang hackers!

Hmmmm makes me wonder.....

Have any idea who did it...??

I was thinking the site was down because it was being revamped for the XCON....hmmm one can wish

haha it made sense since the pictures were possibly going to be up on Friday.

But yes it was quite boring without SSA during the downtime.

Thank goodness I had a console box for my cousin to build.

Mark and I were fighting and struggling with this all weekend. I had to pretty much miss a friends birthday party to deal with back ups and file extractions to get them uploaded to the server. Only time I was not home trying to try to fix this was during my son's b-day party. Not to mention, I got woken up in the middle of a dead sleep last night to upload another back up file.

So quick explanation and update:

On average, I run full site massive back-up's about once a week. Takes a good while and is slowly eating up the remaining HD space (have had to delete a chunk of music to do so over the years). But between those back-up's, I run daily back-up's usually every two days, and individual database back-ups once a week. Keeping in mind when I run the back-up on the forum database it gives everyone the IPS error for the 35-40 minutes it takes to complete.

With that said, we had a daily back-up that was two days old, a full site back-up that was just under a week old, and individual database back-ups that were almost two weeks old. We had a service ticket in with the software developers in super early Saturday morning, only a few hours after the site went down. They discovered that the forum database had gone poof. We quickly contacted the host and put a ticket in relaying that information. After slow and limited response by the host, we manually forced a few of the above mentioned old back-ups, all the while believing that all the data between the full site back up and the point where the forum went down was lost. So with constant contact with the IPS software team, a number of different versions were repaired. Now, late yesterday afternoon, a back-up that we had manually pushed through, was the full site back-up version of the forum database. Which means last night what people were seeing and posting on, was actually a week old and so we thought that is where we stood. A week of posts lost, no big deal, we have had worse. Anyway, so I thought we would be moving on from there since nothing else had been heard of by the host as to what happened and if they were going to fix it. Now from then up until just a bit ago, I was still some how linked on the old back-up database, all the while the current and apparently not actually deleted, just lost, database was restored, so I was trying to figure this mess out all morning as to why I was the only member on the forum.

What happened after my last support ticket to the host, is that it looks as if they found the current and up to date database and restored it. Which means, the only posts lost were the few made during the hours when we were running on the back-up database from a week ago, which is less then 100 posts or so total.

Anyway, Mark is going to be in talks with a different host, one much larger and much more powerful and well staffed then our current and long time host. We have reached and passed the point of needing 24/7 host support, along with a private server, more HD space, and massive bandwidth.

I hope that helps a few understand what the heck happened, and that Mark and I were working as hard as we could to get SSA back up and running asap. Either way, a new host is pretty much a given, and I hope we can do the move this week.

that means... if u move its down time again ....well ...good luck

i like to know you guys keep everything running and work so hard for us. thanks. you guys ever thought about setting up yearly fee if you subscribe it gives you a little tag like SSA supporter or something of the sort. you'll still be able to use everything but i figure some guys would be more than willing to throw like 10-20 bucks a year to you to help with the site.

that means... if u move its down time again ....well ...good luck

It would be minimal is any at that point, but it would be an upgrade for avoiding this issue in the future.

Better host almost always makes the downtimes worth it from my experience. Cheers to getting a better host

i like to know you guys keep everything running and work so hard for us. thanks. you guys ever thought about setting up yearly fee if you subscribe it gives you a little tag like SSA supporter or something of the sort. you'll still be able to use everything but i figure some guys would be more than willing to throw like 10-20 bucks a year to you to help with the site.

This is could be a good idea to help with server and bandwith prices.

Id be more then willing to pitch in money if needed, just say the word.

other wise the forum would cease to be...

MARK DON'T SAY THAT!!! EVER EVER EVER!!!!!!!!! :(

Thinking about that brought a tear to my eye *snifle snifle*

Id be more then willing to pitch in money if needed, just say the word.

x2 and i think alot of people would donate too.