holmesjohnson

What are the cons of using a capacitor?

In a nutshell,

pros: gives you a short extra power burst during high demand

cons: that power burst could potentially be 100x greater with a larger battery

unlike a battery it can't make its own power so it will drain it from the battery

pros: it will make you feel better mentally if you are uneducated about how electrical systems work.

cons: you waste your money.

its a bandaid for a bigger problem....

used in a system like mine its a bottle neck usless.

pros: mis-properly used you could burn up your car and collect insurance money...if you have really stupid insurance

cons: it costs money and does nothing

I appreciate everyone's feedback :thanx: . I was actually planning on buying one too :Doh: . So should I buy a second battery? If so how much would that run me? I'm about to install a 15" RF sub and an RF amp with these specs....

* Amplifier Type: 2-channel

* 12dB or 24dB/octave selectable crossover

* 2/4 channel switch

* 4 Gauge Power/Ground connections with built-in ATC fusing

* Audiophile grade amphanol speaker connections

* Best in class 4 oz. copper traces

* MasterSync

* PowerSync

* Stealth Connections

* 50 W x 2 @ 4 Ohms RMS

* 100 W x 2 @ 2 Ohms RMS

* 150 W x 2 @ 1 Ohms RMS

* 200 W x 1 @ 4 Ohms bridged RMS

* 300 W x 1 @ 2 Ohms bridged RMS

Edited by stack_of_benjamins

Honestly, I think you'll be just fine on stock electrical, go ahead and try it, and if it doesn't workout, then get another battery.

Honestly it is a joke to think 300w will even stress the stock electrical. Just make sure to wire things appropriately. 300w really isn't very much power...my to midranges get that.

I remember running a 1000 Watt Crunch amplifier on stock electrical, and I hardly had any issues, voltage stayed above 12v most of the time.

I remember running a 1000 Watt Crunch amplifier on stock electrical, and I hardly had any issues, voltage stayed above 12v most of the time.

Still a pointless post, unless you measured the current and know it was 1000w and used a real o-scope or real meter for measuring the voltage of your charging system. Neither I am sure happened in your case. :(

it's a way for us installers to make a quick 100 dollars in about 20 minutes or installation with out doing anything. dont buy it it's a waste. you'll get more satifaction off another battery.

With a "1000" watt amp I would hope you stayed above 12. Only times I have seen them drop lower then 12 is true 2k+ is involved.

Edit: With a decent electrical. Because with my 6 year old battery in my truck now, I can drop it to 12.2 with my 4-channel.

I think he is referring to the T3002 from those specs. If thats the case, and he is running it at 1 ohm or 2 ohm bridged, it'll be more like 800 class AB watts. That being said, i did the same amp in 2 ohm bridged for a customer with another G35, 4 gauge wiring, stock everything, no big three...voltage fell to 12.9ish. G35 has 110 amp alternator

You should be fine, if anything spend the money on some 0 gauge and ring terminals and do the big 3