Sign in to follow this  
Notorious97200

1 ohm or 2 ohms ?

Hi again today !

I just want to know why so much people here run there amp at 1 ohms.

Isn't it to hard for the car electrical system ?

I have heard it is better to play at 4 ohms than 2, and 2 ohms is better than 1.

What do you think, because I would like to buy an amp for my next sub. I need to choose between the DVC 1 or DVC 2 on a SSA Icon 15, and only after that, I will be able to pick a Sundown amp.

Do you guys know how to have a good deal on a package sub + amp ? (SSA Icon 15 + Sundow, or other).

Thanks for your help

:Doh:

sundown amps work well at 1ohm my amp dosent even get that hot.

Weather you run it at 1 or 4 ohms your still looking for the same amount of watts

im pretty sure 1k watts at 1 ohm would be just as hard on your electrical as 1k at 4 ohms

Edited by BoomBoxB

the more current you draw the more electrical support your vehicle will need, regardless of the impedance of the subwoofer. your best bet is to match your subwoofers impedance to the output stage of your amplifier, and for most class d subwoofer amps that happens to be at 1ohm. some lower, some higher.

http://www.prestonelectronics.com/audio/Impedance.htm

here's an explanation of ohm's law, it's a good place to start for your question. remember, google is your friend. :D

That thinking is way too general. For instance, if you bridge a 2 channel class A/B amp at 4 ohms to get 1000 watts, you'll be pulling more power than a class D amp will at 1 ohm making 1000 watts because the A/B amp is likely about 30% less efficient than the D.

I already use a JL audio amp (A1800D) at 2 ohws. My Kicker sub (S15L7

No, you don't NEED to use the Sundown amp at 1 ohm. It has no problems with running at higher impedances than 1 ohm. You can use it at 2 ohms.

If you already have the JL amp and you are pleased with it, why change ?

man ... just keep your JL ;)