richardb

Minimum power for an ixl-18 for ht

I'm considering an ixl-18 for home theater, however as I don't have any money (yes, I need to sell something to buy the 18 :P ) I am limited when it comes to powering it. In this case, power will be from a harmon kardon receiver. I can comfortably massage 120wpc (rms) continous from the unit without a second thought. Modeling the driver in a 7cuft/19hz vented box in winisd shows me 111.5dB output 19hz and up at 240w.. I know the receiver will easily exceed 120wpc, and being that this is a dual 2ohm driver, I can reasonably expect 240wrms per coil for short bursts. Thermal limitations will come into play if it needs to supply that much power for extended periods though, and I'd rather not melt my receiver as I eventually plan on using it for biamping (I have two 3 series avr's, a 300 and a 340, both with 6/8 channel direct in's).

I have a lot of experience designing enclosures and system for car audio, but when it comes to h/t I'm a bit in the dark. Will 111db typical (240w), 114db short term (musical/dynamic, 480w) be 'enough'? The driver has lots of leg room with this application (480w only takes it to just over half it's xmax worst case), and a power upgrade will take it much further, but I can't see a power upgrade anytime soon.

Anybody have some low power tips for h/t?

As a reference, my last decent h/t subwoofer was an old phoenix gold 15 in a 5cuft enclosure tuned to 25hz with 115wrms, which would easily remodel my china cabinets a floor above and at the other end of the house during parties and/or movies.

So you don't want to use an amplifier? Honestly, if it came down to it I would opt for a cheaper sub that I can put an amplifier to rather than using my HT receiver.

Don't wire one coil per channel on the AVR. a 2 ohm load will surely kill it, I even question four, and "IF" you did that, you'd need a crossover at least. Just buy a Dayton amp from PE or a bash 300/500.

Or if you are in Canada creativesoundsolutions has amps.

And I don't get it, you have $ for multiple HK receivers, a IXL 18 but not an amp? :suicide-santa:

I doesn't take much to get the IXL to move. If you have a general idea how loud 110dB is, that is quite good. I have a used Velodyne plate amp I picked up from Egay I can throw your way for $90 if you're interested. It's rated about 200watts and has the built in crossover.

I doesn't take much to get the IXL to move. If you have a general idea how loud 110dB is, that is quite good.

That's great to hear.

As to why I have two h/k amps, well, that's a between me and the visions clearance table. :P (and my credit card, and my wife...)

I completely agree that a plate amp would be the final and proper solution, but please don't underestimate how rugged h/k's are. I've never tried my avr-300 at 2ohms/channel, however my brother has a avr-30 (old skool) that has been used driving 2ohm loads every day for years. Honestly, 2ohm/channel does make me a bit nervous though, 4 I'm comfortable with.

Regardless, thanks for the insight and tips. Maybe I'll put off my driver purchase until I can source a suitable amp for it. That bash/500 does look like an excellent choice. Anybody need a kidney?

Edited by RichardB

My IXL 12 doesn't take that much power to get moving, but I'd be concerned at 2ohms on that receiver.

I would be very cautious about burning up that receiver using it at 2ohms like that.

You could buy a 240 watt plate amp from PE for not much more than passive crossover components will cost.

Check out Solen as well for amps...

Check out O Audio for plate amps. The HTR for an amp is a nono (won't handle the impedance and how are you going to cross it?). A proper sub plate amp is probably cheaper than the alternative of running a pro-audio type amp and an x-over (though you could possibly do w/o the xover if you are using the sub out on your receiver).

http://www.oaudio.com/

The 300W is only $159 and the 500W is 229CAN. If you are in the states also check out parts-express. Sub plate amps often go on sale there.

With any of the plate amps you'll have to run the voice coils in series. I haven't seen a plate amp that can do 1ohm yet.

there are much better verry inexpencive options. If a plate amp isn't needed for you, you could go pro audio. Those can be found for a song, especialy used.

Check out O Audio for plate amps. The HTR for an amp is a nono (won't handle the impedance and how are you going to cross it?). A proper sub plate amp is probably cheaper than the alternative of running a pro-audio type amp and an x-over (though you could possibly do w/o the xover if you are using the sub out on your receiver).

The 300W is only $159 and the 500W is 229CAN. If you are in the states also check out parts-express. Sub plate amps often go on sale there.

With any of the plate amps you'll have to run the voice coils in series. I haven't seen a plate amp that can do 1ohm yet.

All prices are in US Dollars

All prices are in US Dollars

Damn, quite true. I have no idea why I thought that now that it looks like they ship from texas. Maybe I was thinking css or somewhere else. Solen only seems to have pricey plate amps right now. Good company though (Solen), I've ordered from them and they were quick and helpful even though my order was pretty small.

My IXL 12 doesn't take that much power to get moving, but I'd be concerned at 2ohms on that receiver.
Hey would you be able to put a vid up on youtube of that, I've looked everywhere i can on the internet and not 1 person has a vid of an IXL 12"....would of thought there'd be a few on youtube just like the Icons and Fi Q's but nope...BTW I should get my IXL 12" tommorow, cant wait to use it with my Sundown 1200D, I may be the first to have a vid on youtube, that I know of anyway!

Hey would you be able to put a vid up on youtube of that, I've looked everywhere i can on the internet and not 1 person has a vid of an IXL 12"....would of thought there'd be a few on youtube just like the Icons and Fi Q's but nope...BTW I should get my IXL 12" tommorow, cant wait to use it with my Sundown 1200D, I may be the first to have a vid on youtube, that I know of anyway!

Nope. Video's are 1000% useless in showing you what anything can do. Really easy to get a sub to do what you want and then film it. If you are interested in the sub, you can read my review and ask me questions but I won't post any useless videos. If I am shortsighted and there is something you would truly garner from the video, please educate me but I am dubious to say the least.

Nope. Video's are 1000% useless in showing you what anything can do. Really easy to get a sub to do what you want and then film it. If you are interested in the sub, you can read my review and ask me questions but I won't post any useless videos. If I am shortsighted and there is something you would truly garner from the video, please educate me but I am dubious to say the least.

but thems got like mad excursion yooo!!

Na na not to judge it, just wanted to see a vid of one cause i like watching the different vids on youtube of Fi Q's and what not but doesn't worry me really just would be cool to see that theres actually a vid on the internet, I thought these subs would of been quite popular like SSA's, RE AA, IA ect. I'm getting an IXL 12" in 2 days but then only got a 80wrms home theatre plate amp to play around with it until i get a car....but yeah never mind! :fing34:

You'll love the sub. She's a beast :)

It all depends on your listening habits... if you like it loud, closer to 1000 watts might be a better idea. If you like it moderate, a couple hundred watts would be fine.

Actual dB levels would be most helpful in determining how much is enough. ;)