Jshak07

(1) 15" vs (2) 12" Nightshades

My current set up is (1) 15" nightshade off a 3000d @ 1 ohm. So 3000 watts daily. I know it handles the power easily, but with the warmer weather comin I am afraid I am going to hurt it because I like to ride windows down music up. Should I get the (2) 12"s or do you think I'm good with my current set up?Obviously (2) 12" subs would be more cone area than (1) 15" sub, so that alone would get me louder. I am mainly concerned about running 3000 watts to this sub to much and frying it!!

I dont own a nightshade but i think you are good where you are at.

True, 2 12s are better than 1 15, however, the gained SPL would be so light that i doubt you would notice a difference.

As long as you are not clipping the amp too much, lightly, the sub should take it fine. It hasn't had problems yet has it? If it doesnt heat up and give off that glue smell all the time then you are fine.

How much space do you have?

I like to try different enclosures before spending more money. Maybe a different box would alleviate your output needs for now.

I'm not to concerned with getting more output, this setup does get loud and it has the potential to get louder if I mess around with new boxes and what not. I am just worried about how long the single 15" can take 3000 watts. By running (2) 12"s I would be giving each sub close to its rated power handling and with the right box it would probably get louder. I could run the amp at .5 ohm as well.....?

BOX is everything.

I'm not to concerned with getting more output, this setup does get loud and it has the potential to get louder if I mess around with new boxes and what not. I am just worried about how long the single 15" can take 3000 watts. By running (2) 12"s I would be giving each sub close to its rated power handling and with the right box it would probably get louder. I could run the amp at .5 ohm as well.....?

I guess I'm confused, just because you have 3000W doesn't mean you need to give it that.:shrug:

Yea, I mean my gain is set very conservatively but even at that this amp is a beast! I mean I could wire it to 4 ohm but I would lose so much output. I like how it sounds, I mean it hits hard and can get low. I am only worried about over powering the sub. I find a good song and I dont even listen to the whole thing with it up because I get that scent of glue(or coil) and turn it down.

Yea, I mean my gain is set very conservatively but even at that this amp is a beast! I mean I could wire it to 4 ohm but I would lose so much output. I like how it sounds, I mean it hits hard and can get low. I am only worried about over powering the sub. I find a good song and I dont even listen to the whole thing with it up because I get that scent of glue(or coil) and turn it down.

Sounds like clipping. How are your settings on your amp and H/U set? And where is your volume on you H/U when bumping?

Friend of mine is putting 2,900rms to each of his DD 9515"s. And he doesn't get a smell till the end of the second or third song depending on the notes. And it is 2,900 after imp. raise and voltage drop.

for long term reliability, your best bet is to go with the 2 12"s..

you could run the amp at 1/2ohm, but you will void the warranty and there is a slightly greater possibility of damaging your amp's internal power supply.. only consider it IF you have a strong electrical setup..

but then again, you said you are concerned with getting more output.. so the slight gain you will get from going with 2 12"s should be suffice..

I would do the 2 12's. It wouldnt be worth it to take and burn your sub up.

I say go the cheap rout and wire it in 4 ohms

at 4ohms, he might get around 1000Wrms if he's lucky.. then factor in a lil impedance rise and you'll be quickly disappointed..

Its not clipping at all, it sounds good when it is beating but when I play a song that has around 40-45 hz notes in it for about 3-4 minutes I can start to get a very small smell coming from the port. I dont think I am hurting the sub at all and it is taking the power fine, I am just worried about 2-3 months down the road how is the sub going to be?

Sounds like clipping. How are your settings on your amp and H/U set? And where is your volume on you H/U when bumping?

Friend of mine is putting 2,900rms to each of his DD 9515"s. And he doesn't get a smell till the end of the second or third song depending on the notes. And it is 2,900 after imp. raise and voltage drop.

It doesn't have to be clipping since he's giving the sub twice what it's rated for. Also, if you get a smell every time you play, that's damaging the sub. If you think about it, what is that smell from? It's from the glue getting hot and evaporating a little. If you keep taking a little at a time, eventually there won't be any glue left.

It doesn't have to be clipping since he's giving the sub twice what it's rated for. Also, if you get a smell every time you play, that's damaging the sub. If you think about it, what is that smell from? It's from the glue getting hot and evaporating a little. If you keep taking a little at a time, eventually there won't be any glue left.

Very good point sir! :bigclap:

So I should go with (2) 12"s to get the most out of my system? How big of an enclosure does (2) 12" ns require? How much port area(slot)?

i say keep what you have, it costs nothing... you seem happy with it just turn the gain down a tad for daily use.

i say keep what you have, it costs nothing... you seem happy with it just turn the gain down a tad for daily use.

x2. Free is better unless you just want new subs?

I'd also say save your money if you're happy enough. No reason to change arbitrarily.

I'd also say save your money if you're happy enough. No reason to change arbitrarily.

Personally I would say its better to be safe then to be sorry. I would just get the 2 12s but other might say differently. You also have to get another box as well and its a hassle to do all that measuring and deciding which box to get.

have you tried in bassbox pro yet?

that would be best to try and always box is everything.

Personally I would say its better to be safe then to be sorry. I would just get the 2 12s but other might say differently. You also have to get another box as well and its a hassle to do all that measuring and deciding which box to get.

I don't disagree, but if the volume knob is handled properly that single sub will survive on that amp forever. Conversely, bad volume control could even blow two of the subs on that amp. So you're not gaining a foolproof setup just by switching to two subs.