Sign in to follow this  
mikey5472

Cutting plexiglass

My shop teacher has a 1 inch thick piece of plexiglass, and he said if I can find way to cut it, I can have it. I have a tablesaw, circularsaw, router, and a jigsaw, but wasn't sure if any of them would cut it. Will they?

I was just wondering this because I have some 1/2" 1/4" lexan to make some cuts on. I already figured the table saw but wasn't sure.

My shop teacher has a 1 inch thick piece of plexiglass, and he said if I can find way to cut it, I can have it. I have a tablesaw, circularsaw, router, and a jigsaw, but wasn't sure if any of them would cut it. Will they?

I have built a lot of industrial guarding useing lexan and plexiglass. What ever method you choose, cut at a decent speed so that your blade does not heat up and start melting the plexiglass. I personaly would use a band saw for material that thick.

I have built a lot of industrial guarding useing lexan and plexiglass. What ever method you choose, cut at a decent speed so that your blade does not heat up and start melting the plexiglass. I personaly would use a band saw for material that thick.

yeah forget the 60$ blade

I just use a bandsaw here at work, a jigsaw will work too. Run a thin line of oil on the line you are going to cut, will help if you use a jigsaw.

I just use a bandsaw here at work, a jigsaw will work too. Run a thin line of oil on the line you are going to cut, will help if you use a jigsaw.

ill have to try this some time.

I will try to talk him into letting me have it. It should work this is a lot of ways to do it. i wasnt even sure if the tools i had would do it. BTW i have a 10 inch blade tablesaw.

where is the best place to find plexi or lexan cheap? last time i checked plexi was pretty expensive

PM me with size, I might be able to help.

Edited by nmssd12

I agree on the bandsaw. I would also think that a fine-toothed blade would work best?

I got the plexi, now I just have to design a box around. I think I'm gion to use the jigsaw method with lots of oil and just let the blade cool dow aftr while so it doesnt melt. It's pretty decent size, 1"X22"X72", but it was free so i have no idea how much it would cost.

congratulations, you just scored yourself a few hundred dollars worth of plexi for free!

I got the plexi, now I just have to design a box around. I think I'm gion to use the jigsaw method with lots of oil and just let the blade cool dow aftr while so it doesnt melt. It's pretty decent size, 1"X22"X72", but it was free so i have no idea how much it would cost.

Damn, that's a big piece!

do you know how you're going to attach it together now after you cut it?

i would say that the hardest part is getting it together without cracking it but 1 inch is pretty thick.

Yea i kno i figured it would be about 200 bucks, but im not making the whole box plexi. I don't hane enough for that. So im just going to make like a little see through window in the box, maybe with some lights on the inside. I'm not sure yet. I'll probably hold it together with some bolts or screws. im not sure yet. When i start to build it I'll post a log up.