Sign in to follow this  
Smanleyman

Bad weekend for the Fi Q

So this last weekend I came home for spring break. I have a 15" Q and my brother has a 12" q. Saturday night my sub quit playing and I was a little drunk so I didnt worry about it. On sunday we built a new box for my brothers new truck(he unhooked in perfect condition 3 weeks ago) and by the time we installed it we realized the top magnet was cracked all the way around and shifted about a 1/8 inch, so the coil was grinding and sounded awful. We ghetto fixed his by beating the magnet back into place with a rubber mallet and siliconing it in place, now it sounds fine. The next day I went to diagnose my problem. I blew the sub when I was drunk when I turned my deck and bass knob settings up too far and now the coil is burnt. Im going to try to make a new single 1 ohm coil since I was running the dual 2-ohm at 1 ohm anyway. Its retarded I know but it can't hurt anything and if I fail horribly I'll look into a recone.

Nothing wrong with Fi at all, none of this was any fault of the company and I still love them, it was just a really bad weekend :(

Edited by fiq15pwnsnoobs

You cracked the magnet all the way around some how? And then you beat it with a rubber mallet? And now you're going to make your own voice coil?

Man you are just going about this whole situation wrong.

Probably could have had your bro's fixed for free man no sense in trying to ghetto rig it. As for making your own coil its probably a waste of time. Itll be hard if even possible to save the surround if you take it apart and coils are a science not just something you try to make. My opinion would be to cut your loss and send it in for a recone you save yourself further headache.

well for the surround... flathead screwdriver and patience FTW :D

I dont know how it will turn out but I have to order the wire online I cant find any enameled wire in my town, if I can find the pics Ill show my damage and keep my progress updated

Well I got some pics anyway... Itll be two weeks before I can get the VC wire and rebuild this beast

Basket needs cleaning...

rmv120.jpg

Former is in good shape

r2jjar.jpg

Had to patch some burn holes and cut marks then extended the spiders

2rh8nis.jpg

2j2ukpw.jpg

Surround is still useable

16kywdf.jpg

So thats where im at sorry for the cell phone pics

I'll say this... its an excellent way to learn and gain experience :)

Can't be any worse than those JL subs that spiders were cut open on to deface serial numbers.

It will not have the same specs as it had when you got it. You now have a custom driver hehehe

hmmmm, bros sub could have been warrantied. Probably too late now. If something goes horribly wrong with the homebrew recone it COULD hurt a irreplaceable part.

Edited by Bobaflob

hmmmm, bros sub could have been warrantied. Probably too late now. If something goes horribly wrong with the homebrew recone it COULD hurt a irreplaceable part.

I don't see why Fi would of cover my sub seeing as how the magnet was cracked.

Well... Ill say this. That sub looks like it has had one heck of a hard life. Keep us all posted, and if it doesnt work out let me know and we will take care of things from there :)

Thanks,

Scott

ordered the wire today... 18 awg high temp enameled copper...hopefully I can make this thing work again on friday or saturday...

Scott or anyone from fi... in case I need a recone is it possible to use a recone for a bl or btl and if so would that just plain suck because of the q's lower bl?

Some of the parts simply wont fit... nor would they beneficial. We can beef things up on the sub more if you need us to. BTL and BL suspension is far too stiff for a Q motor to support it with useful specs.

Thanks,

Scott

thanks Scott thats what I figured, Ill let you know what happens this weekend... do you have any advice on winding my own coil lol?

And the project is over!

The wire... 18 awg high temp copper

w18jyx.jpg

2hrnaqr.jpg

ta0ho7.jpg

Shiny basket!

fawmyo.jpg

Haha empty basket in box it looked cool

23u4jk9.jpg

Everything drying up

1zn36l1.jpg

I guess in my excitement I forgot to take pics of the coil... I coated it in epoxy and my dmm shows it at .9-1 ohm, so not too bad. Glued the dustcap on and went to testing in my 2.3+polyfill sealed box...

Well before I put the cone back in I noticed the new coil is significantly heavier... Now when the bass hits there isnt a tight beat but a smoother thud, still really loud and the lows seem a bit more accentuated. I havent put it back in my ported box yet nor will I be able to for a while. The sub is ridiculously stiff I dont know how much it will loosen up over time but overall I guess this project is kind of a success... just doesnt sound as good as fi can do it.

Sign in to follow this