SPLChris

did more damage than what I thought...

Well, after further examination, one of my SPL 12's is completely trashed. 2 of the tinsel leads are burnt and the surround almost came loose from the frame. Some slight tearing is obvious on the surround and the coil was somehow misaligned, you'll see in the pictures where it managed to rub against the pole piece and the coil gap. hey Mark, looks like I'll need some recones in the future :) Just some advice, don't paint the inside of the basket where the soft parts are mounted. The glue on the spiders and surround were coming loose. It was too easy to take the soft parts off. Even though these subs were beaten pretty hard, the SPL series is one of my favorite series of subs anywhere. Thanks for a great product that can take abuse.

Snapped tinsel lead

CIMG0497.jpg

CIMG0498.jpg

CIMG0499.jpg

CIMG0501.jpg

CIMG0503.jpg

one of the tears in the surround

CIMG0500.jpg

CIMG0502.jpg

My hand slipped while taking apart the surround with a flat head screwdriver and hit the edge of the basket. This was right when it happened. I literally had a pool of blood in the palm of my hand spilling EVERYWHERE 5 minutes later. I should have gotten stitches but it's better now.

CIMG0504.jpg

CIMG0505.jpg

Voice coil rubbing :(

CIMG0506.jpg

here's the former.

CIMG0507.jpg

CIMG0508.jpg

I think I might recone these to 15's once I get the appropriate recones and some 15" baskets.

Seriously, the cut on my finger is really bad. I taped it up and started taking the frame off the basket and blood was squirting out from the bandage.

dang that sucks.... that voice coil looks just like the one I pulled out of my Fi Q...

If you had to guess what size wire would you say that coil is made of?

I would say around 32 (maybe thicker) guage round copper wire. If there was a flat coil option, I bet they would take more power :)

How much more power do you need them to take. I haven't heard of to many getting damaged due to power.

Would be fun to see a high power wall built with mach5's

It appears the coil was coming out of the gap. Clearly you unloaded the driver or over-excurted it. Too much power for the application.

Points taken Chris. Hope you got enjoyment from it. :)

Man you destroyed that thing, I don't think I've ever seen such total destruction of so many parts on a single sub before.

Wow, I almost don't want to know what you did to get that result. I laid some serious power into an SPL-12 when I was testing it in all kinds of boxes and tuning and it took the abuse fine.

Wow, I almost don't want to know what you did to get that result. I laid some serious power into an SPL-12 when I was testing it in all kinds of boxes and tuning and it took the abuse fine.

my guess is clipping to a point.

my guess is clipping to a point.

clipping itself doesn't cause problems. It's just too much power.

Sorry for the slow reply, I haven't had a chance to get on a computer since school started up. My Powerbass XA 3000D was running on the pair at .5 ohms sooooo quite a bit of juice. Yeah, it was a disaster! The crazy thing was, the setup was still insanely loud. I can't wait to get my recones for my 15's.

I'll get ahold of you soon, Mark. back to class.

Edited by Chris Weikert