Sign in to follow this  
kryptonitewhite

Q vs IB3

Other than thiele small params and the small pics, it's hard to know all of the differences....

the Q has a smaller pole vent? larger magnets? The single 2 ohm IB3 is a 2 layer coil, the Q is 4 layer.

The Q's Fs isn't much higher than the IB3's and the motor doesn't seem tooo much bigger.... IF I had the extra $$$ at the time I would have gotten a Q because it would have been much better for my application, I could have gotten the dual 1 ohm coils and ran my Lanzar OPTI2000D at .5 ohm and everything would have been GREAT.

But I only had enough for the IB3, and so I let the lower Fs and higher Xmax ease my mind about doing what i had to do. If I could go back in time, I knew 1100 RMS wasn't gonna cut it running the lanzar 1.5 ohms higher than where it wanted, and I could have had some more motor to back things up. I simply could NOT.

So I ordered the IB3 18 and I am happy with it... excellent subwoofer not even considering the price... but at $220, I can't feel bad about my choice. I had to drop another $83 on a dual 2 which is now surpassing the Q price to begin with, but gotta do what ya gotta do. I had to ditch the Lanzar because .5ohm setups are hard to come by... but I feel I have a better quality amp now, I'm hoping it will have better customer support, and I have more power on tap, more headroom now.

I think I did OK by getting the IB3 as a temp setup until the 22" comes out. That's all the 18" was, was to get by till the 22" comes out, then I can use the 18" in my home.... and if I am careful when I get the recone kit, it will happen just like that... I'll put the 18 inside and get the 22"

Now, the 18 does just fine in its application.. I love it, its just about what I expected... I think with this new coil option, it will be perfect. Going to a 22"... I am hoping the Q motor will keep it that way... add enough motor force to push the larger cone.

Are there any close up motor pics? Can anyone enlighten me on IB3 vs Q motor differences? I obviousely only know enough to be dangerous.

Edited by kryptonitewhite

I'm kind of confused, but if you are regretting not purchasing a Q, then why don't you get one instead of a bigger IB3...?

I shouldn't say I regret getting the IB3 rather than the Q... I was glad to get more Xmax and lower Fs, and I think i have plenty of motor force in my application. My only disappointment was I asked about getting dual 1 coils and was told "NO" at that time. I think if I started with D1 coils, I wouldn't have had the Lanzar issues. But, I have a better amp now.

I'll be getting a dual 2 IB3 22" and I think I will still be OK... if the 18" IB3 motor works in my application, I don't see why a 22" Q won't (if we just call it a 22" Q... cuz really, that's my question.... since they are using a Q motor for an IB3 sub, what's the difference? Is it really more a "Q" then? If it's still more IB3, why?)

So OK... let's make that my question:

Since they are using a Q motor for an IB3 22" sub, is it really a 22" Q only to be used in free air?

Edited by kryptonitewhite

Sign in to follow this