CBFryman

What I Learned at College

Made this to show my parents and ended up posting it on a few forums.

Figured I'd drop in and post it here as well.

th_Untitled-4.jpg

reminds me of when i lived in polk county...

kick balls buddy.

Need a little more behind-the-boat time so you can stick those landings. I am jealous of the cabling system though as I had to learn exclusively being towed in the open water.

Looks fun, never been on the water besides a small pond on a flat bottom boat though...

Need a little more behind-the-boat time so you can stick those landings. I am jealous of the cabling system though as I had to learn exclusively being towed in the open water.

Yeah, I am all cable recently which sucks. I get free passes to the cable park and cable ride days so I cant complain.

I really need a new board, too. If I take it too big the landings are too harsh to stick most of the time. I bummed my knee the other day trying to take things too big off of the kickers.

Looks fun, never been on the water besides a small pond on a flat bottom boat though...

You're missing out on one of the best parts of life, man! Not too many lakes in your area?

link to school website?

that looks FUN AS fudge!!!!!

http://www.skimccormick.com/

and another hour down I-4

http://orlandowatersports.com/

Thanks for the complements! :)

reminds me of the first time we tried that with the Boston Whaler and an inner tube...didn't turn out too good...ended up falling off the tube and getting dragged a good distance...fun times...

How does that compare to the real thing? We have a standard Ski Nautique and a friend has a Malibu Wakeboard boat. When you go b/t the seperate boats, it's a BIG difference. I'm like you, and I need to get a new board. I still have my old CWB, but I think I'm going to go Hyperlite this time.

Edited by kram3r

I'm a wakeboarder too.. competed a few times

:fing34:

I competed once and got scared out of it. I hadn't wakeboarded behind a boat in like 7mo because our Bayliner took a crap and ALL of my wakeboard experience was behind that Bayliner (19' Capri with a 5' pole). I get flung out behind a fully loaded Super Air Natique at 75' and 24mph with wake bigger than an average sized wave on the gulf coast. Needless to say I didn't do well at all.

How does that compare to the real thing? We have a standard Ski Nautique and a friend has a Malibu Wakeboard boat. When you go b/t the seperate boats, it's a BIG difference. I'm like you, and I need to get a new board. I still have my old CWB, but I think I'm going to go Hyperlite this time.

The cable pulls from a much higher angle which makes loading the line and doing air tricks easier. Of course, 2/3 times I load the line I eat it hard so that doesn't matter to me. It's like kite boarding with out having to control a kite.

Cable riding and boat riding have diverged into two different styles. You'll notice a LOT of really good cable riders coming out of Europe because that is where the majority of the world's cable parks are. Kite boarders also do well on the cable.

Cable is to wakebaording what street/park is to skateboarding. More rails, kickers, and technical tricks.

Of course if you're a baller like the pros (actually, if you're sponsored by a baller company like the pros) you do everything (rails & kickers + wake tricks) behind boats/jetskis and just go to the cable to practice.

If you want to see good riders at McCormick's look here

It's probably the most chill place in Tampa. The guys that work there are cool as hell and as you can see, the dogs are left to roam around during the day and they're all sweet as can be. All of those guys in that video I have met personally and shot the shit with.

I was there for this as well: http://oakley.com/sports/wakeboard/posts/1006. I just happened to want to go wakeboarding that day and found out that besides myself and the people I was with, everyone else on the cable was a professional wakeboarding/wakeskater. Talk about feeling like you cant ride for crap.... haha

All the tools and "needing" something different amuses me. I learned behind a 15' Larson runabout on an original Skurfer using stern connections.

All the tools and "needing" something different amuses me. I learned behind a 15' Larson runabout on an original Skurfer using stern connections.

OK? I learned originally behind a bayliner with no weight in it pulling from the transom on a $30 board from walmart that was literally molded plastic & sandal bindings. The graphics were stickers.

What does this have to do with competing?

I could throw my tricks into the flats behind my bayliner. Behind a true wakeboard boat is an entirely different story. The first time you crank into it like a small wake and it launches you above the tower and you forget about wakeboarding because you have an epic view. Then you eat shit. As far as a new board, yes, a new board is needed when you start getting more and more air. You know the physics. Doing super big tricks on flat bottom boards is why most of the original pros are riding and walking around like this:

133171_20.jpg

Plus I'm sure that you weren't doing anything more than backrolls and raleys back then. I get to ride with pros on regular occasion. In 6mo I've gone from 180's and a few grabs to Krypts, 360's, and any grab you can name. It took me 2 weeks to progress from Raleys to Krypts and starting indy glides. I'm ridding on a 7 year old board that is starting to delaminate and was designed for beginner riders. A board that is faster in the water with smoother landings and more pop will help me progress a TON. How do I know? I ride other people's boards as well and they're just more fun, more stable, and easier to land on.

So stop being such an egoed party pooper. :shrug: