Sign in to follow this  
AirFramerMack

IB help

I am not sure how IB sounds,but i am very interested in trying it. my problem is. if i do not like it. can i put the IB in a large ported enclosure? or can the SSD be used for IB? here a rough idea of how i will have to build the baffle to house an 18" IB. my trunk opening to the cabin is only 10x25 this is a side view. all lines are 3/4" MDF

FIIB18idea.jpg

fiIB18idea2.jpg

An IB enclosure is a large sealed enclosure which is at least 10x the vas of the speaker. If you're using your trunk at an IB set up, you have to make sure it is well sealed off to the cabin. This type of enclosure will also reduce the power handling and the efficiency of the speaker. What are your goals for the system? That will give us a better idea of what type of box is best suited for you.

An IB enclosure is a large sealed enclosure which is at least 10x the vas of the speaker. If you're using your trunk at an IB set up, you have to make sure it is well sealed off to the cabin.

X2, and that means the whole car might not be large enough to be IB, let alone the trunk.... depending on the driver's Vas

From my experience I recommend you seriously consider this before diving in. I'm not trying to scare you away at all, because IB can far exceed what you expect, but there is a lot more to do than just building a small baffle that seals off the large opening in your trunk.

You need to completely seal off the entire trunk, remove all carpet, seats, etc. and start filling with bondo, great stuff, something along those lines. Then once all of that is sealed, start working on the large opening for the sub.

I was more than happy with my IB setups and low end is my favorite part about car audio, also the sub should sound extremely clean if it is intended for IB use.

I would say to listen to what is posted before me, if you can do it, go for it, extremely rewarding build if done right!

I have a single SE 12 in a large ported enclosure off 800rms.its not near loud enough. im trying to surpass that. I already sealed off my rear deck, i left my factory speakers in there. so all i need to do is take out the back seat and great stuff foam the rest I don't mind doing this. but if this setup is not loud enough or i just dislike it in general,can the sub be put into an enclosure or can i use the SSD 18 for IB and an enclosure if i chose to

Edited by AirFramerMack

Sign in to follow this