ADK

SSD sealed?!

I am beginning to think I should go sealed with my 15" SSD. Before you guys say no no you'll lose output let me tell yuo whats up. I have an extremely tiny trunk that is damn close to 15" tall maybea little more, i am not sure. I have my sub ported right now with the sub up and port back. the box's height is 13inches at the moment leaving only around 2 inches for the sub to breathe. It cause so much more rattle like this and I was wondering if you guys think sealed facing it towards the back of the car would sound just as good if not better? The reason why I can port it towards the back is because the width is only about 20" from trunk hinge to hinge which cant fit a big enought box ported but it can sealed. What do you guys think?

sorry for sloppy sentences and what not, im using my phone.

Edited by ADK

so you basically wanna know how we think it will sound if you seal it, with the sub facing towards the rear license plate?

how do you expect a 15" sub to fit in a space 15" high?

other then that i have no input, i don't have a trunked vehicle.

just thought i'd make it clear for the fellow readers..

i said like alttle over 15".... basically i ask because people always say sealed is bad but since the enclosure i have right now isnt too good for the sub what do you think.

i have a 12" Q in a 1.5 cuft sealed box. though i'm in a small SUV, and i love it. i get compliments all day on how loud and clean it is. it isn't toooooo loud on music, of course depending on teh sub, but it's there. i want to go ported just to get some more out of it on music. if i don't like it i'm going back to sealed.

think of it this way, it's only a 30ish dollar loss if you don't like it. and if you really don't like it, then i'm sure you can sell it

As burton said, the best way to know is try it out, mdf does not cost that much and it is fun to build enclosures. :)

Im sure it will sound good. The only thing i've noticed about sealed boxes, since i really like ported, is that thy play higher bass much better and tend to lack low. For me sometimes i think this would be better since i listen to mostly alternative, indie, hardcore stuff but i just cant get over how nice that low bass sounds. Try it out

Just try it sealed..

And yes building enclosures is fun as hell..

I have an Fi Q in a 2.1 @ 33 Hz box, Sub up and Port back on only 800 watts or so and it wangs hard.

The kids trunk is low like yours and I think it would sound better if the sub was facing the rear IMO..

I have 2 12 ssd's in a sealed enclosure and they sound great. They pound hard hit pretty damn low and can hit the highs as well. You will not be let down with the sealed box. I don't have one friend that's subs hit harder than mine and most of there's are ported. If its not loud enough you can always port your box it's not that difficult.

Im sure it will sound good. The only thing i've noticed about sealed boxes, since i really like ported, is that thy play higher bass much better and tend to lack low. For me sometimes i think this would be better since i listen to mostly alternative, indie, hardcore stuff but i just cant get over how nice that low bass sounds. Try it out

wtf? Obviously you have NO idea what low is. :( :( :(

And to the OP, why don't you address the rattles instead of changing your box. If it is only the rattles that bother you it seems rather independent of the box.

wtf? Obviously you have NO idea what low is. :( :( :(

And to the OP, why don't you address the rattles instead of changing your box. If it is only the rattles that bother you it seems rather independent of the box.

the rattling is a bit hard to address. there is not much i can do about all of it. If i can i will try to get pics/videos to show you the setup.

Let's start there anyways. What have you done to combat it?

not much. IF you only saw the setup there isnt much I can do about it. Thats why I wanted to go sealed so I can fit my sub to face the trunk instead of it facing up ported.

changing the orientation of the sub probably won't stop rattling. Are you going smaller and sealed so that you can put in some level of dampening?

changing the orientation of the sub probably won't stop rattling. Are you going smaller and sealed so that you can put in some level of dampening?

in my situation Im positive it will. Let me go take a few pics/videos to show you guys. Be back in a few to post.

not much. IF you only saw the setup there isnt much I can do about it. Thats why I wanted to go sealed so I can fit my sub to face the trunk instead of it facing up ported.

There is a TON you can do about it. Go take pics.

Well I have a 15" SSD on a KickerZX750 and it sounds AMAZING.

Sub firing up and port firing back.

Do you have the copper coil?

Fi doesn't recommend going sealed with the 15SSD unless you have the copper coil.

Well I have a 15" SSD on a KickerZX750 and it sounds AMAZING.

Sub firing up and port firing back.

Do you have the copper coil?

Fi doesn't recommend going sealed with the 15SSD unless you have the copper coil.

nope flatwind. Ive read a few of your posts about your system and it sounds identical to mine. Sub up port back and having all that rattle where the back window is and what not..but I think im swapping systems. I have a little project coming involving 4 8" subs. We'll see how that goes and if i decide i like em better the ssd will be up for sale possibly or into storage.